Sponsored

High Steering Ratio main problem with JL steering issues??

tom1000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I have a 2018 JL 2 door Sport that requires significant and almost constant steering wheel input to remain centered in its lane. I consider this a safety issue. If you have a similar control concern and want a chance at a meaning solution to the steering problem with your Jeep I would encourage you to file a complaint it only takes a few minutes https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In researching the steering problem I found that the 2 door JL has a very high 17.4 to 1 steering ratio and the 4 door JL has a high 15.6 to 1 steering ratio. High steering ratio such as these are usually found on large heavy vehicles with large tires. I assume FCA went with such high ratio in anticipation of large aftermarket tires and heavy rock crawling. The high ratio gives significant mechanical advantage and keeps the steering wheel input lighter. If my math is correct what a 17.4 to 1 steering ratio gives you with a 15 inch diameter, 47 inch circumference steering wheel is the following. If all steering components are tight (no play at all) to move the wheel 1 degree of arc you must move the steering wheel 2.2 inches. Which seems to correlate to many folks dead spot off center. The only practical way to reduce the amount of steering wheel travel to keep the Jeep straight is to lower the steering box ratio. My last Jeep was a GC had a steering ratio of 14.2:1 and I believe some folks swapped their boxes out for 12.7:1 to cure road float.

I realize that the JK also had a high steering ratio, but the suspension and steering geometry is very different on the JL and in my opinion it just does not seem to work.
Sponsored

Last edited: