Help with my CB...

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
Are you getting audio from speaker when open squelch full open. If you see the signal meter going up its recieving signals from antenna. Tell me more, installed them for a living way back... what are you referring to that your getting a 5 Volts to CB???

OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Are you getting audio from speaker when open squelch full open. If you see the signal meter going up its recieving signals from antenna. Tell me more, installed them for a living way back... what are you referring to that your getting a 5 Volts to CB???
Sorry for the late reply. I was getting a 5 and 6 bar signal on the cb where it shows tour signal strength. On this particular one it says some like “ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 then 30+. I’m getting audio when the squelch is full open but it’s just static. I went to a nearby truck stop and got nothing at all but static. Even with the small antenna that comes with the handheld and standing in the truck stop parking lot surrounded by trucks and the highway less than a mile away I got nothing but static. I decided to send this midland cb back and get a replacement cause it stopped working when plugged in using the cigarette lighter. I’ll see how the replacement works....could be a defective cb I don’t know...I’ll update when I get the replacement

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
The 1/5 shows the signal level getting to the radio.
So you were getting signal from antenna.
Anything else is a bad radio, or user error lol
Mute button hidden? Lol
Whats the model number of cb will investigate

Last edited:
OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The 1/5 shows the signal level getting to the radio.
So you were getting signal from antenna.
Anything else is a bad radio, or user error lol
Mute button hidden? Lol
Whats the model number of cb will investigate
Midland 75-822. I mean I’ve never used a cb radio before but I’m not THAT dumb to where I can’t get a signal lol. At least I think I’m not...

Sponsored

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Thats why we are here to help! Not chastise. Investigating now.

Seems like a bad radio, unless you were on the weather channels no other problems with that radio. I may get one. Seems it can be modified.hmmmm

OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Seems like a bad radio, unless you were on the weather channels no other problems with that radio. I may get one. Seems it can be modified.hmmmm
Yea the weather channels seemed to pick up. I had to get a replacement radio either way cause like I said the adapter that plugs to the cigarette lighter and the external antenna went bad. The new one got delivered today but I’m at work so I won’t be able to test it until tonight. I’ll give an update then. I definitely appreciate the help that’s for sure.

OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Okay so....I got my new CB. Again its a Midland 75-822 hooked up to a ProStick antenna with a Wilson 305-830 18 foot Coax cable. I tested the SWR and on channel 1 i am getting a reading of 1.3. On channel 40 I am getting a reading of well over 3. On channel 20 im getting about 1.6 maybe 1.7. I was told that shortening the antenna is the fix if your reading is higher on 40 than on channel 1.This one is not an adjustable one unless you cut the wire on the inside. I shortened it some but the channel 40 reading isnt changing. Should i just say screw it and get a firestik?

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Standing wave ratio is very complex and simple at same time. 1st, do you now have sound? Any swr readings will not noticeably be seen on receiving.

Are you hearing people on the cb yet?

OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
yea i have sound but mostly just static. i did pick up something on channel 8 but couldnt really tell if it was actually people or just a repeated thing over and over.

Sponsored

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
So it works? Or your thinking the swr is off?
That wont make any difference very minamal on receive. Disconnect antenna and put few feet of wire in center of connection see if its a bad antenna

OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
So it works? Or your thinking the swr is off?
That wont make any difference very minamal on receive. Disconnect antenna and put few feet of wire in center of connection see if its a bad antenna
ill try that next i suppose. i read any SWR over 3 can damage the radio and im well over 3 on channel 40.

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Cant hurt anything on receive, and to be honest i never saw a radio damaged from swr. Did you get a cable with your meter??
It really changes the swr at the physical position you put the meter.

We used an expensive test cable for a certain frequency, ham radio frequency used another length cable.

Any trucker would test your radio most are frendly and knowledgeable about cb its a tool for them.
Sponsored