Help with Installing mopar off road lights

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
I want to install the 7” and 5” mopar off road lights. I don’t have the aux switches. My plan was to wire them to a wireless relay and control them with my remaining homelink buttons on my visor. I’m having trouble finding how much power the lights draw. Anyone know how many amps or watts these lights draw? Below are the two relays I’m deciding between. If you have a better option I’d be glad to hear it as well. I’m trying to avoid installing it through the firewall and into a switch in the cab.
https://m.autozone.com/exterior-lig...tNEKvUah3DJL-KH0aMYaAuDxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRJF62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gbacEbAFXK4Y1
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Read the packaging on the lights. It will tell you the current draw or the power.

OP
OP

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Read the packaging on the lights. It will tell you the current draw or the power.
I don’t have them yet still planning the things I need so I can buy it all at once. I did look at the pdf instructions and don’t see it anywhere

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
82215385AB

Install instructions for the above call far 15A fuses.

OP
OP

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
82215385AB

Install instructions for the above call far 15A fuses.
So if this is the case is it a bad idea to use the module that has 18amp channels? I’m really new to all this so apologize if this is a very obvious problem or not. My guess would be it would allow the lights to continue to work an extra 3 amps hi or bad is this?

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have an auto? If so, super easy to run wires into the interior. Find the round black plastic grommet where the clutch pedal would go if you had a manual, it is just to the right of the brake booster when you are facing the front of the Jeep and looking on the right side of the firewall and behind the master cylinder. From the engine bay you can drill a hole and fish the wire easily inside, and when done use silicon sealant to plug the gaps and prevent water leaks. I did this for installing a HAM antenna cable.

OP
OP

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Think I’m gonna go with the trigger 4 plus relay setup. Seems like it’s a nice easy alternative to the aux switches

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
So if this is the case is it a bad idea to use the module that has 18amp channels? I’m really new to all this so apologize if this is a very obvious problem or not. My guess would be it would allow the lights to continue to work an extra 3 amps hi or bad is this?
The instructions didn't state the typical current draw but did state the fuse size. The current draw is going to be less than the fuse. So, less than 15 amps. The circuit you use should be able to handle more than 15 amps.

If your not using a relay then the switch should be rated for more than 15 amps. If your wire run is 10 get our less use 12 gauge. If 10 - 15 feet use 10 gauge.

If you use a relay in the engine bay your relay should be rated more than 15 amps. A typical automotive relay is 30 amps. The wire run will be shorter. If less than 6 feet you could use 14 gauge. If 6 to 10, use 12 gauge. If 10 - 15 feet use 10 gauge. The switching wire run to the relay to turn it on/off can be much thinner because the current to trigger a relay is low. Use 18 gauge for this, it'll be easy to run and route to a switch inside the cabin.

I don't care for wireless systems to control accessories. IMO, they add unnecessary complexity and are just another failure point.

If you're not familiar with 12V wiring, I recommend getting in contact with a local Jeep club. Very good probability that someone in the group will be experienced and willing to walk you through the process and teach along the way.
Sponsored