Scottpez

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Hello all,

Three weeks ago I was excited to purchase a 2019 Wrangle Saraha.

3 days after purchase I had to have it towed from my driveway as we lost all acceleration on the highway driving home from work.

After keeping the Jeep for a week the dealer replaced the fuel pump.

Since then each night i bring it home and into the garage it leaves a strong gas odor. I brought it back to the dealer and they said that they failed to "tightened the part".

Now 3 days later we are still experiencing that same strong gas smell. I am concerned from a pure safety level as we drive our young son in this vehicle daily and gas fumes in the house.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What advice can you provide us?

I thank you all in advance as we want to love our new Jeep very much.
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Get under it with a flashlight and look for dampness indicating a leak. If you find something, show it to them. Regardless of what you find, keep taking it back until they get it right.

Also, if a significant amount of gas leaked into your garage, it may take a while for the fumes to go away. Park the Jeep outside because if it is still leaking a spark could set off a fire if fumes are concentrated enough inside the garage... especially if you have a gas water heater out there. Once the smell has cleared the garage then try parking the Jeep back inside to see if it returns. Maybe the Jeep has to air out too.

OP
OP

Scottpez

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Get under it with a flashlight and look for dampness indicating a leak. If you find something, show it to them. Regardless of what you find, keep taking it back until they get it right.

Also, if a significant amount of gas leaked into your garage, it may take a while for the fumes to go away. Park the Jeep outside because if it is still leaking a spark could set off a fire if fumes are concentrated enough inside the garage... especially if you have a gas water heater out there. Once the smell has cleared the garage then try parking the Jeep back inside to see if it returns. Maybe the Jeep has to air out too.

I will look under this weekend however there is no liquid leaking on the ground. It has been raining a lot lately so moisture has been difficult to locate.

We are bringing it back this week for sure. Smell is strongest when tank is full. I wonder out loud what that could correlate to.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Could be the rubber seal on the top of the tank where the fuel pump is located.... Could be mis-positioned, damaged...? Would explain why the fuel smell increases when tank is full.
(Could leak slightly when tank is filled)

OP
OP

Scottpez

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
It does also have an odor on startups. even comes through the vents. What could this be?
Sponsored