ssiegler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Per User's Manual:

Conditions That Will Cause The Engine To Start Automatically While In Autostop Mode:

• The transmission selector is moved out of DRIVE.
• To maintain cabin temperature comfort.
• Actual cabin temperature is significantly different than
temperature set on Auto HVAC.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode.
• HVAC system temperature or fan speed is manually
adjusted.
• Battery voltage drops too low.
• Low brake vacuum (e.g. after several brake pedal applications).
• STOP/START OFF switch is pushed.
• A STOP/START system error occurs.
• STOP/START AUTO STOP ACTIVE time exceeds 5
minutes.
• 4WD system is put into 4LO or Neutral mode.
• Steering wheel is turned beyond threshold. (ESS Models
Only)

This makes me hate it even more than I did before. You would think that if the AC is the cause for it turning on, it would be able to sense this and not shut the engine off only to start it up again 30 seconds later
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
This makes me hate it even more than I did before. You would think that if the AC is the cause for it turning on, it would be able to sense this and not shut the engine off only to start it up again 30 seconds later
on your gauge cluster there is ESS page that will display the status of the ESS system, I have noticed that sometimes it will display why the ESS system is not ready.

There are so many sensors for sub systems feeding into the ESS system that if one if on the fritz I could easily see it registering with the computer fine then flipping and claiming to be out of spec and starting up the engine.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Your Jeep is working when your at a stop . Its reading the battery , HVAC , engine temp ...This is a good thing !

If only for 30 seconds than so be it ...its not everytime though because it reads different each time . Jeep has given you the option to bypass this if you wish . Its a modern Jeep in a Modern world . Eventually we should all get use to this ...your saving fuel and helping the environment.

May not seem like alot with one Jeep but if you step outside the box and think of 50 million vehicles doing this or even 50,000 ! Its making a difference .

9 days of ownership and Im use to it now

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Today was the first day after a week of ownership I was in the JLUR driving for about 7 hours. Mid day...the autostop stopped responding. After cycling through the dash menu system the AutoStop stated that it had been disabled. It was in "Battery Save Mode". The AC was off, I had a phone plugged into the USB port.....but prior to this point I had been in bumper to bumper traffic for hours. Ultimately I think the number of stops and restarts...drained the battery a bit. Looking at the volt meter it stated I had 12.6V. I am wondering what it is when its fully charged...guess I will know tomorrow :)

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Today was the first day after a week of ownership I was in the JLUR driving for about 7 hours. Mid day...the autostop stopped responding. After cycling through the dash menu system the AutoStop stated that it had been disabled. It was in "Battery Save Mode". The AC was off, I had a phone plugged into the USB port.....but prior to this point I had been in bumper to bumper traffic for hours. Ultimately I think the number of stops and restarts...drained the battery a bit. Looking at the volt meter it stated I had 12.6V. I am wondering what it is when its fully charged...guess I will know tomorrow :)
Any update on this? Did it return back to normal? My voltage is currently reading 12.6-12.7, shooting up to 13.2 sometimes when slowing down. As soon as I touch the gas, voltage drops back down. Haven’t noticed before so not sure if this is normal. Can anyone confirm if it is or not?

Last edited:

Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Any update on this? Did it return back to normal? My voltage is currently reading 12.6-12.7, shooting up to 13.2 sometimes when slowing down. As soon as I touch the gas, voltage drops back down. Haven’t noticed before so not sure if this is normal. Can anyone confirm if it is or not?

Update: The Auto Start Stop is a function of a small battery that is recharged by the main battery during normal use. Depending on the load within the JEEP, and the number of times you the auto start stop is engaged, the voltage of the secondary battery will get low enough so that the system is disengaged until the secondary battery is sufficiently charged. This is normal operation. Under the conditions of heavy bumper to bumper traffic like I experience heading into downtown LA, I will stop working after roughly 30 minutes. Under normal city driving its not an issue. Have the AC on during bumper to bumper and well... you get the idea...might work once or twice and then... its not going to function again for a while.

All of this is normal according to the dealer and to most people I have talked with.

At this point...I just don't worry about it. It works well except for extended bumper to bumper traffic. Neither again I don't work well in that traffic either.
Sponsored