What is going on with my start-stop?? Please Help

ssiegler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
I have no idea what is going on with start-stop functionality - Im hoping someone can offer an explanation.

I have my Sahara for 2 months now and this just started happening yesterday. The issue is that I come to a stop and the engine shuts off like it is supposed to. However, without doing anything (foot stays off the clutch, foot stays on the brake), the engine just starts up again.

Is there any reason this would happen? Is it designed to start the engine again based on anything besides putting my foot onto the clutch? Do I have something defective here?
Sponsored

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
If anything draws more power from the battery like ac or if the battery is just at the charge level for start/stop to work it will restart the engine to maintain the charge. This is from experience with my Pacifica with start/stop.

OP
OP

ssiegler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
If anything draws more power from the battery like ac or if the battery is just at the charge level for start/stop to work it will restart the engine to maintain the charge. This is from experience with my Pacifica with start/stop.
that could explain it. it has been warmer here the past couple of days and it is the first time i think the AC has kicked with auto climate control.

i guess that means in the summers here in dallas, start stop will be useless.

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Do a search on the ESS. There are several scenarios that will cause it to start on its own. They are also listed out in the owners manual. Page 165
If the ESS is activated for longer than 5 minutes
If the battery voltage gets too low
If the jeep reaches 5 mph it will start on its own.
I know there are more scenarios that will make it start on its own.

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
I have no idea what is going on with start-stop functionality - Im hoping someone can offer an explanation.

I have my Sahara for 2 months now and this just started happening yesterday. The issue is that I come to a stop and the engine shuts off like it is supposed to. However, without doing anything (foot stays off the clutch, foot stays on the brake), the engine just starts up again.

Is there any reason this would happen? Is it designed to start the engine again based on anything besides putting my foot onto the clutch? Do I have something defective here?
Is your foot staying hard on the brake? If you let off just a little bit it will start.

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
If you can check the volts on your display they need to be between 13.8 and 14.1 volts. I run my radio on acc a lot and sometimes the s/s will not work for a couple of days. If you have a start/stop screen that you can go to it might say start/stop disabled battery charging. That’s what it says on the van.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
It will also turn on if it needs to reach a climate control level but usually it won't turn off at all if that's the case.

Unrelated, how do you like the manual?

JL_MX

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
It has to do with the pressure on the brake, if you depress it a little bit it will start. On the other hand if you are driving and stop but pressing the brake soft, then it won't shut off.

OP
OP

ssiegler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
It will also turn on if it needs to reach a climate control level but usually it won't turn off at all if that's the case.

Unrelated, how do you like the manual?
i love the manual. i came from a sports sedan. it took me a day to get used to the different clutch and now its a blast to drive

Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
i love the manual. i came from a sports sedan. it took me a day to get used to the different clutch and now its a blast to drive

Cool. I still have a long time before my manual two door Rubi is built. Everything I've heard about the stick is getting me so excited for it!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Read the user's manual portion on ESS. Max A/C disables ESS, battery charge levels disable ESS, lots of things really.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Per User's Manual:

Conditions That Will Cause The Engine To Start Automatically While In Autostop Mode:

• The transmission selector is moved out of DRIVE.
• To maintain cabin temperature comfort.
• Actual cabin temperature is significantly different than
temperature set on Auto HVAC.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode.
• HVAC system temperature or fan speed is manually
adjusted.
• Battery voltage drops too low.
• Low brake vacuum (e.g. after several brake pedal applications).
• STOP/START OFF switch is pushed.
• A STOP/START system error occurs.
• STOP/START AUTO STOP ACTIVE time exceeds 5
minutes.
• 4WD system is put into 4LO or Neutral mode.
• Steering wheel is turned beyond threshold. (ESS Models
Only)

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
It has to do with the pressure on the brake, if you depress it a little bit it will start. On the other hand if you are driving and stop but pressing the brake soft, then it won't shut off.
With a manual transmission it uses the clutch pedal rather than the brake pedal.

That being said to add to the list shit it could be, the sensor for the clutch pedal at least on mine is very sensitive. If I give the clutch a quick tap without even depressing it will turn on the engine. So you could have a switch that is not adjusted right and triggering with the pedal at rest.
Sponsored