Sponsored

Help.. Not Hate..Please

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
So when shifting the Rubi in 4wd, will it be equally as good as the Sahara?
I guess what I’m asking is, on my old 2010 JKU I had to shift into 4wd in snowy conditions. I assumed a new Rubi would behave the same if not better than my JKU?
No, a Rubicon will be better in any terrain including snow. The 4WD system will be like your JKU. The Sahara ATs are garbage compared to the KO2s. Full time 4WD is not some great equalizer many make it seem. If you're not an incompetent driver the difference between auto 4WD and shifting manually is mute. It's one of those things that sounds cool on the internet but in real world there's no real difference. No Wrangler will need 4WD if going from pavement to a light patch of snow. If it's a deep patch just shift into 4HI.

There is no snow a Sahara can handle that a Rubicon can't. In contrast there is deep snow a Sahara can't handle that a Rubicon will. That on its own is very telling.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
The OP lives in Texas. I seriously doubt he will get stuck in deep snow....

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The OP lives in Texas. I seriously doubt he will get stuck in deep snow....
I seriously doubt he'll have trouble with a Wrangler in any patches of snow. Living in Texas he'll get more use out of a Rubicon than a Sahara unless he's strictly pavement driving which he said he's not.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I seriously doubt he'll have trouble with a Wrangler in any patches of snow. Living in Texas he'll get more use out of a Rubicon than a Sahara unless he's strictly pavement driving which he said he's not.
He said he would be using his Jeep for daily driving and overland trails with no rock crawling. If it was me I would get the Sahara as it’s the better daily driver and cheaper and should be more than fine for any overland duties unless he’s going extreme on trails then the Rubicon would be better.

Having just recently been in Moab and watching stock Sahara’s and Sports doing even the moderate/hard trails there (I was in a modded JL Rubicon) I was pretty impressed with how capable even stock JL’s are. I don’t think they get enough credit on many of these threads.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
He said he would be using his Jeep for daily driving and overland trails with no rock crawling. If it was me I would get the Sahara as it’s the better daily driver and cheaper and should be more than fine for any overland duties unless he’s going extreme on trails then the Rubicon would be better.

Having just recently been in Moab and watching stock Sahara’s and Sports doing even the moderate/hard trails there (I was in a modded JL Rubicon) I was pretty impressed with how capable even stock JL’s are. I don’t think they get enough credit on many of these threads.
"Overlanding" is a vague term to be honest. It has different strokes for different folks. I agree with the other poster that it's better to have too much than to have too little potentially. I also completely agree with you that stock Wranglers are incredibly capable. With that said the cost of a Rubi over a Sahara isn't too much though. Getting 4.10 gears and ability to go to 35s without a lift is worth it alone if one doesn't have a problem affording it which it seems OP doesn't.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As far as engines. Try them and see what you like.

V6 is slower

4tuebo is faster

That’s inaccurate, the 2.0 BSG and 3.6 post near identical 0-60 and 1/4 times. The difference in passing times, where the 3.6 is actually faster than 2.0 because of no turbo lag. From C&D....

Unlimited Sahara 3.6

Curb weight: 4469 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 6.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 20.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 28.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.0 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 90 mph

Unlimited Sahara 2.0 BSG

Curb weight: 4549 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 6.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 20.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 27.7 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.8 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 90 mph

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
The Rubicon also has 4.10 gearing. I would opt for the Rubicon because it is always better to “have and not need” than to “need and not have”. You never know when you will need a capability on a trail...
True. But then he is not going to have that great, made for slippery roads All time 4WD. I for one would love to have that euro rubicon option with everything in one package.

JeepNut80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're better off with a loaded Sahara and if you ever want to rock crawl then you can regear, beef up the axles, add sway bar disconnect etc.
Sponsored