HELP - Need more leg room

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I am 6'4" and when I drive my drivers leg is bent at a 90% angle. This was not so bad when I first got the my Wrangler JL (Willys) earlier this year, although I did not take any long road trips.

Then July 1 I had a partial right knee replacement. It has been a long recovery and my leg is still stiff and starts to ache after about 30 minutes in such a bent position. Because of that I have rarely used my new Jeep other then quick trips to the store. If I had 3 or 4 more inches of leg room I think I would be golden.

I searched around and saw the thread on seat slammers here. They seem to lower the seat but do not move seat back farther and are a major, non reversible install. I am not sure they would work for me.

Searching Amazon I found this seat bracket extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WWLB7H7/

It looks to be an easy install and would give me 5 extra inches of leg room. With that much leg room I could take my Jeep out for an hour drive. Reading the reviews, it raises the height of the seat. Currently, with seat back and in full down position, I have about 1 inch between my noggin and the roll bar. So not sure if that is will be a problem. Maybe with seat back, roll bar won't get in the way?

Any other options out there?
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I am 6'4" and when I drive my drivers leg is bent at a 90% angle. This was not so bad when I first got the my Wrangler JL (Willys) earlier this year, although I did not take any long road trips.

Then July 1 I had a partial right knee replacement. It has been a long recovery and my leg is still stiff and starts to ache after about 30 minutes in such a bent position. Because of that I have rarely used my new Jeep other then quick trips to the store. If I had 3 or 4 more inches of leg room I think I would be golden.

I searched around and saw the thread on seat slammers here. They seem to lower the seat but do not move seat back farther and are a major, non reversible install. I am not sure they would work for me.

Searching Amazon I found this seat bracket extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WWLB7H7/

It looks to be an easy install and would give me 5 extra inches of leg room. With that much leg room I could take my Jeep out for an hour drive. Reading the reviews, it raises the height of the seat. Currently, with seat back and in full down position, I have about 1 inch between my noggin and the roll bar. So not sure if that is will be a problem. Maybe with seat back, roll bar won't get in the way?

Any other options out there?
Hope you find a solution!!! I had to stop driving sports cars due to a bad back so I can relate.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Everyone is raving about these :

https://desertdoesit.com/collection...ble-front-seat-jackers?variant=39547859468370

Don't know how much you need but they look like it will give you a better angle for sure.
Yeah, saw those, seat jackers and seat slammers. They are more about raising and lowering seat in a more comfortable position. Probably would help a little, but not much. Plus, major install.

Simply being able to move my seat back 3 or 4 more inches would make all the difference in the world for me

I wonder if there is a shop that will move the seat rail sliders back a bit further. I'll probably try the Misch 4X4 BigBoy Seat Bracket on Amazon first, I can always return if my head is bouncing on the rollbar.

It could be another 6 months to a year before my knee is completely healed and I sure would like to use my new Jeep.

I can't believe driver legroom is not more of an issue with people. My Mustang's have had much more legroom than my giant jeep.

bRett32

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Yeah, saw those, seat jackers and seat slammers. They are more about raising and lowering seat in a more comfortable position. .........
Just a quick note on the seat jackers. I'm the same height as you and while I don't have the same knee issue I wanted/needed the seat to go back just a bit more in the interest of leg room.

Based on their height/inseam guidelines I ordered the 'fixed' seat jackers to see if the concept would deliver what I wanted before I made any permanent modifications.

They take minutes to install and are reversible.

A couple of benefits: 1) the increased 'pitch' of the seat gives you a bit of thigh support 2) changing the inclination of the seat does allow you to get quite a bit further back away from the wheel and open up some leg room.

On the downside: 1) while the seat can be moved back further your left shoulder can be up against the B-pillar roll bar depending on your specific seating position in the most rearward adjustment and 2) depending on the length of your torso and seating position your head may get quite close to the speaker bar at your height. On longer drives if I stretch and sit extremely upright my head will touch the speaker bar.

I like sitting high in the Jeep for any kind of trail/off road use as you get a good view of the front corners, but I am considering the 'seat slammer' route to sit a bit lower as I think it would open up a bit more space - the only concern is the obvious one in that it is a bit painful/costly to undo if the new seating position isn't great.

One side is ~$85 and I'd expect you could recoup most of that in the classified section if it is a non-starter.

Sponsored

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor, 2015 Lexus GX460, Fiero
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
Just a quick note on the seat jackers. I'm the same height as you and while I don't have the same knee issue I wanted/needed the seat to go back just a bit more in the interest of leg room.

Based on their height/inseam guidelines I ordered the 'fixed' seat jackers to see if the concept would deliver what I wanted before I made any permanent modifications.

They take minutes to install and are reversible.

A couple of benefits: 1) the increased 'pitch' of the seat gives you a bit of thigh support 2) changing the inclination of the seat does allow you to get quite a bit further back away from the wheel and open up some leg room.

On the downside: 1) while the seat can be moved back further your left shoulder can be up against the B-pillar roll bar depending on your specific seating position in the most rearward adjustment and 2) depending on the length of your torso and seating position your head may get quite close to the speaker bar at your height. On longer drives if I stretch and sit extremely upright my head will touch the speaker bar.

I like sitting high in the Jeep for any kind of trail/off road use as you get a good view of the front corners, but I am considering the 'seat slammer' route to sit a bit lower as I think it would open up a bit more space - the only concern is the obvious one in that it is a bit painful/costly to undo if the new seating position isn't great.

One side is ~$85 and I'd expect you could recoup most of that in the classified section if it is a non-starter.
Thought I'd chime in here since Seat Jackers and Seat Slammers were mentioned. @bRett32 nailed it. On top of what he said, we do offer a 30 day return period. If our products don't get you comfortable, you have 30 days to return and get a full refund. You will have to pay return shipping but that's it.

Its impossible to say what will work for you because we are all very different and have different ideas on what's comfortable. However I don't think you could go wrong with the Adjustable Seat Jackers or the Fixed Seat Jackers. Both would give you a good idea on how the Seat Slammers would feel (seat angle wise) and should give you the feedback you need to make the decision to go with a more permanent solution like Seat Slammers or seat extend brackets.

Good luck finding a solution and feel free to give us a call if we can help with anything else.

Steve
Desert Does It

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Thought I'd chime in here since Seat Jackers and Seat Slammers were mentioned. @bRett32 nailed it. On top of what he said, we do offer a 30 day return period. If our products don't get you comfortable, you have 30 days to return and get a full refund. You will have to pay return shipping but that's it.

Its impossible to say what will work for you because we are all very different and have different ideas on what's comfortable. However I don't think you could go wrong with the Adjustable Seat Jackers or the Fixed Seat Jackers. Both would give you a good idea on how the Seat Slammers would feel (seat angle wise) and should give you the feedback you need to make the decision to go with a more permanent solution like Seat Slammers or seat extend brackets.

Good luck finding a solution and feel free to give us a call if we can help with anything else.

Steve
Desert Does It
I am going to try Misch 4X4 BigBoy Seat Brackets which allow the seat to actually move back up to 5 extra inches. If they don't do the job I give the Jackers or Slammers a try which seem to only adjust seat angle.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed

Steve
Desert Does It
Thanks for that post Steve, as soon as my 392 comes in I'll be grabbing a set to try for ds & ps. With the return policy like that you cant go wrong. I'm fine with the legr room in my wifes Rubicon, its just the angle that needs a bit to be desired.
Sponsored