Help! Ideas needed.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am trying to find a spot to “mount” a camera — specifically a fuji x-pro2 (if you don’t know what that is, just envision a standard “DSLR interchangeable lens camera”) in my JLUR. Wherever it goes it needs to be, sturdily mounted, in reach, and not interfering with an airbag deployment. I have zero ideas. I just want it secure and easy to grab when I see that mountain sun hit that alpine meadow. As a bonus, it would be great if it could get mounted “down low” so that “prying eyes” might not see it if the wife and I are in a restaurant eating on your way to the trail.

does anyone have a dslr mount in there JLU? If so, what did you use as a mount and where/how did you mount it?

thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Any chance a camera bag hanging off the back of the center console would work? I would think you’d need a really solid mount to handle the weight and then the transfer of shock and vibration would be a real concern for me. We had to send a 24-70 zoom lens in for repair after a trip to AZ because we let it sit loose in the center of my truck console.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I am trying to find a spot to “mount” a camera — specifically a fuji x-pro2 (if you don’t know what that is, just envision a standard “DSLR interchangeable lens camera”) in my JLUR. Wherever it goes it needs to be, sturdily mounted, in reach, and not interfering with an airbag deployment. I have zero ideas. I just want it secure and easy to grab when I see that mountain sun hit that alpine meadow. As a bonus, it would be great if it could get mounted “down low” so that “prying eyes” might not see it if the wife and I are in a restaurant eating on your way to the trail.

does anyone have a dslr mount in there JLU? If so, what did you use as a mount and where/how did you mount it?

Just an idea but it could be possible to modify a Peak Design capture clip in combination with something like a Carolina Metal Master mount.

https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/products/capture

https://www.carolinametalmasters.com/collections/jeep-jl-parts/products/jl-modular-mount

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Any chance a camera bag hanging off the back of the center console would work? I would think you’d need a really solid mount to handle the weight and then the transfer of shock and vibration would be a real concern for me. We had to send a 24-70 zoom lens in for repair after a trip to AZ because we let it sit loose in the center of my truck console.
the Camera bag idea might work but not ideal. your Experience with your 24-70 is what I am trying to avoid.

There is a mount on Amazon that bolts around the headrest rails and has an arm (that you could put an old tripod head on for a quick release). Seems like a good idea but.... BUT.... it only holds “2.2 Pounds“. Err.... no.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Just an idea but it could be possible to modify a Peak Design capture clip in combination with something like a Carolina Metal Master mount.

https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/products/capture

https://www.carolinametalmasters.com/collections/jeep-jl-parts/products/jl-modular-mount
Peak design is where I started. I have one of those and have it mounted on the shoulder strap of my backpack. It is utterly FANTASTIC.

I currently have a Gibson leatherworks phone mount where the Carolina device is mounted. But I would LOVE to be able to get some kind of arm and hook a peak design to it.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Peak design is where I started. I have one of those and have it mounted on the shoulder strap of my backpack. It is utterly FANTASTIC.

I currently have a Gibson leatherworks phone mount where the Carolina device is mounted. But I would LOVE to be able to get some kind of arm and hook a peak design to it.
Yeah Peak Design is a great setup. I use it hiking/backpacking all the time and the cover works great when snowshoeing to keep the snow off.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6

Love the XPro2. Used to shoot on one for years as well as an XT-3 but recently moved everything over to an a7s III and a set of Leica M lenses.

I haven't found a good way to do this either. Some sort of flexible holster would be ideal but I just don't quite know where there's space for it - the setup hanging off the back of the center console sounds like it could work. I typically face a camera lens-down in one of the cup holders and let it ride like that for short periods where I know I'll be pulling it - probably not the best solution long term, but recently I've had the whole rig built for video on rails with a v-mount battery and Atomos recorder which is enough to earn its own seat+seatbelt on the passenger side.

Very curious to see what you end up with here.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Very curious to see what you end up with here.
me too! I’ve been already noodling on it for 6 months!!!!!!

i am starting to think that if...... I could buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Cam...r+mount&qid=1601839903&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

then buy a peak design and get much longer screws for it and mount it over the arm,

I would be able to position the arm maybe beside my right shoulder (my either mounting this on the passenger seat or my own).....

still thinking......

I’m actually kinda surprised that peak designs hasn’t come up with something already or a company like 67 designs.....

maybe I could adapt a 67 designs arm with a a peak design mount?

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
me too! I’ve been already noodling on it for 6 months!!!!!!

i am starting to think that if...... I could buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Cam...r+mount&qid=1601839903&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

then buy a peak design and get much longer screws for it and mount it over the arm,

I would be able to position the arm maybe beside my right shoulder (my either mounting this on the passenger seat or my own).....

still thinking......

I’m actually kinda surprised that peak designs hasn’t come up with something already or a company like 67 designs.....

maybe I could adapt a 67 designs arm with a a peak design mount?

On a tangent the Bartact seat cover has Molle on the sides just over the armrest. You could probably mount a capture clip there and hang the camera

Jeep Wrangler JL Help!  Ideas needed. 1601845896406

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
On a tangent the Bartact seat cover has Molle on the sides just over the armrest. You could probably mount a capture clip there and hang the camera

Jeep Wrangler JL Help!  Ideas needed. 1601845896406
Molle. Hmmm. While I don’t want to do a whole seat cover, using a peak design on the molle might be the ticket! It would be hard to reach on the seat back so I originally discounted that idea but, it may be the best. I might be able to put it behind the passenger seat and still get to it easily?

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can always just hang a bag like a Think Tank Holster from the headrest so it hangs above the armrest.

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tjwallerphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
"Stormie," A Base 2018 Granite Crystal JL Sport 2-door
Occupation
Professional Action Photographer

I'm a professional wildlife photographer and I've been trying to come up with something for my Nikon D500 with a Tamron 150-600mm lens attached ever since July of 2018 when I picked up my JL 2-door. The only thing I've come up so far that works halfway decently is just laying the camera setup on the console with padding all around it. It stays on the console securely even when I have to stop quickly, grab my camera and jump out of the Jeep. It ain't pretty but, for now, it works. I definitely love to see some photos of anyone else's design ideas if they come up with something!
Sponsored