Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I was thinking.....

Putting my soft top in Sunrider position today (stock photo)

sunrider2.jpg

I couldn't help notice how the arms that rotate 180 degrees to allow a closed soft top to reach Sunrider position and back to closed, have a pretty much pivot point location (front to back of the rig) at the "Speaker Bar."

This got me thinking. I could install a 12V motor, designed for high torque and slow movement, above the sports bar, with still enough clearance for the top to close, that could torque a long arm, connected to the center (driver's side to passenger's side that is) of the portion of the hard top where the latches are.

This could allow the top to be open to first position and closed.

Now...I get it, Jeep purists might say, "if you want a power top (sissy) look to the aftermarket or FCA's JL solution."

But it seems to me, if anyone could make suggestions on just such a motor, I might be able to create an arm, and hardware to hook it up to the soft top, with minimal or no new hole installation at one end, and the motor at the other into existing speaker bar holes, or even strapped around the speaker bar.

Thoughts, ideas, been done already, etc.

Something like this:

jeep perspective.jpg

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I'm researching now. I think I may need to have to learn how to program an Arduino controller to do things like rotate a high torque shaft at about 3 RPM, to 180 degrees and back.
Sponsored

Last edited: