Sponsored

Heater either on or off

larkja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Now that winter is upon us, I am starting to use the heater. My AC works great, but I have a strange situation with the heater. I don't use Auto, and usually have it on defrost. I have it set to Sync. I'll set it to, let's say, 68 and it seems to blow cold outside air that today was 48 degrees. Then, all of a sudden, it will blow extremely hot until I have to turn it off. It's almost like the heater doors are either fully open or closed. Putting it to Auto also does the same thing.

Never had a car where I couldn't adjust the heat and keep it at a constant mid-range temperature.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored

Jimmylats JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep TJ willys, 2018 rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue. I have tried to set the temperature manually and have used auto. There seems to be no middle ground. I have had it at the dealership to address this issue and they told me it was fixed. This obviously is not the case. about 72 to 74 degrees seems to be the point where it wants to blow hot or cold.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am betting if you unplug the recirculating controller it will stop, it’s located behind the glove box, fo me it blows hot air in the summer time

OP
OP

larkja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
How would unplugging the recirculating controller help? I want it to blow hot, just not all on or all off.

Thanks

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed the same thing, set it to 68 the other morning, it was fine then all of a sudden it seemed like it was real hot, So I kicked it down to 67, 1 degree, it was fine, then 5 minutes later it felt like it was blowing the A/C, even though AC was off.

I tried auto, manual, and it all does the same. All the more reason I wish cars would show the "cabin" temp on the screen as well as the outside temperature. I'd like some sort of reference point.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
How would unplugging the recirculating controller help? I want it to blow hot, just not all on or all off.

Thanks
It’s a known issue that has yet to be addressed by FCA, I first noticed it here in south Texas as it stays pretty warm and humid the better part of the year and as I was rolling down the road I would all of a sudden feel warm air and it seemed to come from behind the glove box, well after dropping the glove box and having somone else drive so I could see what was going on I noticed the damper that lets in outside air when it’s not set to recirculate would randomly open for about a minute or two and close so guessing it’s doing the same thing but letting outside cold air in.

I had heard a rumor and note I said rumor that FCA was concerned about fresh air being available in the can so the software automatically opens that damper to let fresh air in but again I have no solid proof, I did mention it to the service ppl and like always they blew it off so for me I unplugged the controller so it never opens

OP
OP

larkja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
^^^ Okay, I understand. But I don't see how that's going to help when it's set to auto or defrost. It blows cold, then really hot, then cold, then really hot, etc. Seems almost bipolar :)

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Now that winter is upon us, I am starting to use the heater. My AC works great, but I have a strange situation with the heater. I don't use Auto, and usually have it on defrost. I have it set to Sync. I'll set it to, let's say, 68 and it seems to blow cold outside air that today was 48 degrees. Then, all of a sudden, it will blow extremely hot until I have to turn it off. It's almost like the heater doors are either fully open or closed. Putting it to Auto also does the same thing.

Never had a car where I couldn't adjust the heat and keep it at a constant mid-range temperature.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
There are a couple of threads about this same kind of thing. I started one as i have noticed the same things as you.

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The same here. Hard to adjust it where I want it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

larkja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
There are a couple of threads about this same kind of thing. I started one as i have noticed the same things as you.
digitalbliss, I did a search but didn't find anything. Here, on wranglerforum, and google. But I'll try again.

Anybody have any luck getting FCA to take a look at this? The only replies I have read are those that took to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong.

Thanks

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
^^^ Okay, found your other post. Yep, same problem.
Unfortunately I doubt there is a "fix" for it. Disappointing for sure, as I like to set it and forget it. I haven't taken mine to the dealer because what's the point if everyone else's is doing the same thing? They'll say it's normal and in the end it'll just be a waste of time and effort.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Unfortunately I doubt there is a "fix" for it. Disappointing for sure, as I like to set it and forget it. I haven't taken mine to the dealer because what's the point if everyone else's is doing the same thing? They'll say it's normal and in the end it'll just be a waste of time and effort.
Agree dealer visit would be a waste. Not sure I agree about no fix, as the system is software driven. They may issue a TSB or improve with an OTA update in the future.

I have the best luck using the automatic setting. Requires adjustments by a degree or two every so often which is annoying. Makes me miss old fashioned levers to control the temp.