Headlight Upgrade

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm wondering if I might have somehow installed the bulbs wrong. I installed one of the headlights, it seemed to be aimed just fine and pointed at the exact same area as my original halogens. So I installed the second bulb. That's when I noticed that while my normal headlights were fine, my brights were concentrated on a space that's actually ABOVE the horizon.

I don't think it's likely that I've got my headlights actually pointed too far upwards, so I'm kind of wondering if it is possible to install the bulbs incorrectly and end up in some sort of configuration like this?
Just spitballing here:
Do the instructions advise the installer to ensure that the Beamtech H13s aren't installed upside down? Said differently, is a discrete orientation required?

By way of example:
I've upgraded my Ural's headlight to an Auxbeam NF-S1 H4 LED bulb. Note the curved fin immediately adjacent to the 3-LED set nearest the top of the bulb. With the bulb installed in a horizontal orientation, the fin must be on the bottom, nearest the ground. If the fin is above the LED (as inverted installation of the bulb would allow), the down-road lighting would project at a point on or above the horizon, exactly as you experienced with your Beamtechs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Headlight Upgrade Auxbeam
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Going back to halogens too! Currently have some cheaper LED headlights and also a previous set of cheap Amazon LED lights. I'm tired of poor defined cutoffs and not the greatest spread in the light pattern. I have some LED foglights that do a great job of lighting low and wide, so I can always use them w/ the Halogens if I need a bit more lumens. Actually looking forward to going back to a simpler option :)

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Going back to halogens too! Currently have some cheaper LED headlights and also a previous set of cheap Amazon LED lights. I'm tired of poor defined cutoffs and not the greatest spread in the light pattern. I have some LED foglights that do a great job of lighting low and wide, so I can always use them w/ the Halogens if I need a bit more lumens. Actually looking forward to going back to a simpler option :)
I am currently running factory halogen headlights and LED fog lights while I shop for aftermarket led headlights. It actually lights up the roadway really well and I would keep this setup if the factory halogens weren’t so yellow.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I am currently running factory halogen headlights and LED fog lights while I shop for aftermarket led headlights. It actually lights up the roadway really well and I would keep this setup if the factory halogens weren’t so yellow.
Yeah, once you get used to the 6k color temp it really is pretty dramatic going back to the warm halogen setup. Just got done installing them back in and took it for a drive. TBH it lights the road just fine, and combined w/ those fogs it's all I need. I won't be shopping for aftermarket LED headlights anymore :)

And I like the clean look of the stock lights w/ the cool little jeep grill inside :)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've used Silverstar Ultra incandescent bulbs in several vehicles, and am impressed with the improved downroad visibility that they provide. It isn't significant, but it is there to be noticed. The color temperature is observably whiter, also.

The trade-off, apart from a higher buy-in cost, is the reduced service life as rated in hours. Honestly, I'll be returning to basic H4s when the last of the Ultras reach end-of-life. I've managed their expense to date by carefully purchasing the Silverstars only when a rebate is offered, but those promotions seem to have dried up.

I'm torn on the idea proper LED headlight modules. No doubt they're brighter, but at the expense of sometimes being dazzling to oncoming drivers even when properly aimed. That's the dirty secret that precious few owners honestly acknowledge. I don't have old eyes, either.

Sponsored

markw365

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Clubs

I picked up a set off ebay that were pulls/refubished. So far they're great. Bought a right one from 'headlampsamerica', and a left one from "autolight-america". Both arrived the same day, and they took 10 minutes to install. Both headlamps were "Used/refurbished" OEM, and both were cleaned up really nice and had the mopar stickers on them. Probably pulled from wrecked jeeps.

Saw somewhere that a guy was selling the harness from the mopar kit and I was worried about having to do the 4th wire, but he said his 2020 was already wired. So I checked and my 2021 had the 4th wire for the halos already. You can check the passenger side plug and see if it has 4 wires. The only other thing I did was go in with the tazer and turn on the LED and Halo, they came right up.

These look factory but cost 1/3 less than the Mopar LEDs:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-offroad/led-headlight-pair-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

PS: despite what the comment section of the link says that the halos on these LEDs are plug-and-play, they are not. The headlamps are plug-and-play, but the halos need additional wiring, and be activated with a dealer flash or a Tazer, just like with the Mopars.

Jeep Wrangler JL Headlight Upgrade Auxbeam

markw365

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Clubs

I've gone with H4 housings and wiring harnesses plus good halogen bulbs in my XJ, then upgraded to the trucklights. HUGE difference between LED and halogens. My daily driver miata has LED projectors, and now the jeep has the factory LED projectors. My Rzr has baja designs light bar. I'll never go back to halogens. Huge performance increase for the amount of energy you put into them. I'll probalby augment the bumper with some baja design pods. Living in San Diego and being so close to the desert, lighting is a huge deal and I stopped cheaping out on it.

I've used Silverstar Ultra incandescent bulbs in several vehicles, and am impressed with the improved downroad visibility that they provide. It isn't significant, but it is there to be noticed. The color temperature is observably whiter, also.

The trade-off, apart from a higher buy-in cost, is the reduced service life as rated in hours. Honestly, I'll be returning to basic H4s when the last of the Ultras reach end-of-life. I've managed their expense to date by carefully purchasing the Silverstars only when a rebate is offered, but those promotions seem to have dried up.

I'm torn on the idea proper LED headlight modules. No doubt they're brighter, but at the expense of sometimes being dazzling to oncoming drivers even when properly aimed. That's the dirty secret that precious few owners honestly acknowledge. I don't have old eyes, either.

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
and the thing I hated most about them was having to pull off the highway in the middle of winter to try to piss the frozen mucky slush off of them so I could see at night. If it sounds like I hate LED’s (except for their slick look), well I kinda do….
Truth!
This is why I dont bother with LEDs.
These JL halogens are not bad at all compared to my JK and TJs. Especially combined with my old school bumper mounted KC hi lites.
But if you dont have to worry about snow, I can definitely see the appeal.

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
i have the supernova v4 led bulbs for the head and fog lights. they are bright and lights up the road. i've had them for 2 years and no issues with them. you can find them on headlight revolution.
[/QU
i have the supernova v4 led bulbs for the head and fog lights. they are bright and lights up the road. i've had them for 2 years and no issues with them. you can find them on headlight revolution.
Are you running the V4X or the basic V4? Did you swap out the fog light bulbs to?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i did both the headlights and fog lights. now i got them in june of 2019 and paid $348 for both. i just checked headlight revolution website to see what the v4x is. apparently the models have changed (more like upgraded) so did the prices of them. when i got them in 2019, i think the led bulbs were just the basic v4. not sure on the current one now. i would have to call hr and see what i have and what they have would be the same, just better technology.

i love them and would get them again. the other led bulbs i would look at would be beam tech. that if i dont want to pay the higher price on the replacement. for now the supernova v4 are running good with out any problems.

Jeep Wrangler JL Headlight Upgrade 1636851802452

superdude

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport
Grew tired of my halos and went with these because of how nicely they mesh with the light bar/cubes

PXL_20211120_170211663~2.jpg

PXL_20211120_170230868~2.jpg

PXL_20211120_170306907.PORTRAIT~3.jpg
Sponsored