flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Been very happy with my 2-door Sport that has several factory options, including trailer tow and HD electrical group. However, I have been a little concerned/interested in just how "heavy-duty" the electrical group really is, given that eTorque has it's own specific motor-generator unit. After many weeks of waiting on an official response from FCA, here it is:

"Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
-ERG 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine Upg I
-XBZ 48V Belt Starter Generator
-ADH Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
According to available information, the ADH Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group for eTorque equipped vehicles does not include an upgraded or larger capacity Belt Starter Generator."

So...this has me wondering. If there's no upgraded or larger capacity belt starter generator, what makes the electrical group "heavy duty?"
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my last question, here's FCA's final answer:

"The ADH Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group for this vehicle...includes the following:
• 700 Amp Mainenance Free Battery (BCV)
• 7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness (XF2)
• Aux Switches (LH2)
• Class II Receiver Hitch (XFN)
According to available information, the 48V Belt Starter Generator equipped on this vehicle does not need to be upgraded because it is already capable of handling the additional electrical loads of the ADH Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group. "

Hope this helps clear things up for those who have had the same question. Wish this was better advertised, but at least we now have clarity on what the kit really includes for eTorque-equipped models.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Been very happy with my 2-door Sport that has several factory options, including trailer tow and HD electrical group. However, I have been a little concerned/interested in just how "heavy-duty" the electrical group really is, given that eTorque has it's own specific motor-generator unit. After many weeks of waiting on an official response from FCA, here it is:

"Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
-ERG 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine Upg I
-XBZ 48V Belt Starter Generator
-ADH Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
According to available information, the ADH Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group for eTorque equipped vehicles does not include an upgraded or larger capacity Belt Starter Generator."

So...this has me wondering. If there's no upgraded or larger capacity belt starter generator, what makes the electrical group "heavy duty?"
I think every engine with trailer tow gets "Heavy Duty" added in the description. Have you seen the size of the eTorque belt? Pretty massive so I wouldn't worry.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think every engine with trailer tow gets "Heavy Duty" added in the description. Have you seen the size of the eTorque belt? Pretty massive so I wouldn't worry.
You are correct, but the typical HD electrical group description always mentions a heavy duty, upgraded, or high capacity alternator, which clearly doesn't exist in e-Torque equipped vehicles. Sales personnel at the dealership don't understand this, and most can't even explain what's included in the system anyway. I just reached out to FCA for more clarity, and at least know what is (and isn't) under the hood now!

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
You are correct, but the typical HD electrical group description always mentions a heavy duty, upgraded, or high capacity alternator, which clearly doesn't exist in e-Torque equipped vehicles. Sales personnel at the dealership don't understand this, and most can't even explain what's included in the system anyway. I just reached out to FCA for more clarity, and at least know what is (and isn't) under the hood now!
I've always kinda thought a 'higher capacity alternator' was B.S. myself. But yes, Jeep salesman and half of their mechanics don't know the difference between an alternator and BSG.
Sponsored