Having smaller spare tire?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I’m going to have 37x13.50s on the JLUR with the 2” Mopar lift and do not want the spare tire that large. I have seen several drop mounts and still don’t like the looks. I am wondering what problems, if any, running the stock 33 for a short time, in the even that I get a flat. I would be driving it straight to the tire shop anyway.

it is a daily driver and play on the weekends. Nothing crazy.
Anyone know if running a 33 less than 20 miles would damage anything?
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Major difference from 33 to 37, I personally would not do it. The number of turns per tire at that difference in diameter would be pretty hard on your gears, width is not an issue. I am also fairly sure that if you were to get in a fender bender while that spare was installed the boys in blue would find you at fault, sighting a stability issue.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You're kinda playing with fire there. If you aren't doing anything crazy, the chances of you puncturing a tire on a trail is probably slim enough that you could just go without the spare entirely. There are plenty of options to replace your tire carrier with a flat plate mount that retains the third brake light.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Maybe upgrade your spare tire to 35". 1" radius difference will be fine. Less, if you deflate the oposite side (easily get withing 1/2").
Or keep what you have and a flat repair kit pictured (spare tire will be there for unlikely even when you get hit by lightning and your tire comes off the bead).

I have 34" on the ground and 32" as spare.
Screenshot_20201104-124838_Amazon Shopping.jpg

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I’m going to have 37x13.50s on the JLUR with the 2” Mopar lift and do not want the spare tire that large. I have seen several drop mounts and still don’t like the looks. I am wondering what problems, if any, running the stock 33 for a short time, in the even that I get a flat. I would be driving it straight to the tire shop anyway.

I don't think that you'd get far before the size discrepancy put you limp home mode. I am no expert, but I would hope that the Jeep would have safeguards in place to prevent that. I sure wouldn't want you in the next lane driving tires with a 4" differential.

I think your options are: 37" spare or no spare and a AAA membership. And...AAA would need a flat bed truck.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is a fork in the road. Proper full size spare or spare delete and an arm seal kit. Either option would be preferable over a non-matching spare.
Jeep Wrangler JL Having smaller spare tire? Screensho

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The rolling circumference is the critical part, the width is not. Could you get a narrower tire, still a 37" ( or whatever the 4 on the road are ) even the tread isn't important, as it's a spare. Save weight, money, still have a spare of the same DIAMETER...Summit Racing has a great selection of tire sizes and widths

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

A smaller spare on the front in 2wd will not hurt anything. If you have a flat on the rear, you'll need to rotate one of the fronts to the back...that's the only way it would work.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
A smaller spare on the front in 2wd will not hurt anything.
One time my 2016 JKR went into some sort of temporary stability sensor driven limp home mode because my steering wheel wasn't straight. My wonky (actually it wasn't off that much at all) steering wheel angle seems to pale in comparison to a 4" deferential in tire diameter. I have no knowledge about this, but it would seem that the Jeep would be "unhappy" and take action.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
A smaller spare on the front in 2wd will not hurt anything. If you have a flat on the rear, you'll need to rotate one of the fronts to the back...that's the only way it would work.
well, I think I will just get a large 35 and 17” wheel matching. Looks like I can fit one with the stock bumper??

probably need a different carrier or adjustable

*** this is what I am referring to with the larger wheel on back. The 20” looks great, aside from the spare. And will look even better with the 37s, more rubber.

thanks guys

B40C04DD-D6C7-49E7-96A7-43CE72C10DB6.jpeg

5BA26846-F32B-4DB0-B841-576E727FD674.jpeg

2EC7D432-1921-49E2-9549-A1D96E1D5AFD.jpeg

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

Why cheap out now?

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Why cheap out now?
cheap out?

it’s not about money. I just think the 37” tire takes way too much space up on the spare mount and the 20” wheel appears a little too big back there. Surprisingly not on the mounted tires. And,,, again,, it’s all personal preference.

I agree with others that 20” or larger wheels can look terrible on these Jeeps. Not the case with these though.
Sponsored