Has anyone tried Exposed Racks?

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Wrangler JLUR
I was thinking using a bracket to mount a rotopax for 2 gal water can. think it would work?
I'm a reluctant yes on that, as I checked out the mounting hardware and it seems like there's gotta be a way. That said, I've just been carrying just a 5 gallon jug of water in the back, so haven't thought too much on it. Here's what the click-ins looked like before putting the tent on.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_6578
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_6577
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_6576
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_6575
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'm a reluctant yes on that, as I checked out the mounting hardware and it seems like there's gotta be a way. That said, I've just been carrying just a 5 gallon jug of water in the back, so haven't thought too much on it. Here's what the click-ins looked like before putting the tent on.
Would you mind measuring the width of the mounting points as well as distance between each other on the brackets? I can then measure my rotopax mount and see if I would have to drill holes, which is no biggie. SMS customer support is not being very supportive on this lol. I contacted them and no answer.

sbrindley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys, I've been eyeing these racks now for a few weeks and considering purchasing for use with a hardshell RTT. For anyone currently using these with a RTT, I was curious if the weight distribution feet leave any marks/dents on the hardtop that you've noticed after usage? Thanks!

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Really considering these racks as they are perfect for my needs. Currently running Thule Wingbars and there is no noticeable difference in wind noise whether they are on or off. Curious to know what the wind noise is with the Exposed racks (alone without anything on them). I tend to be lazy and leave the racks on all the time so I'm curious about the noise. Thanks!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
p
Really considering these racks as they are perfect for my needs. Currently running Thule Wingbars and there is no noticeable difference in wind noise whether they are on or off. Curious to know what the wind noise is with the Exposed racks (alone without anything on them). I tend to be lazy and leave the racks on all the time so I'm curious about the noise. Thanks!
Usually no noise. sometimes if it is windy and you pay close attention, you might hear a little if you have no music/radio going. I am not even sure if the wind noise is even coming from the bars. I would say it is negligible. Solid rack imo.

Sponsored

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
p

Usually no noise. sometimes if it is windy and you pay close attention, you might hear a little if you have no music/radio going. I am not even sure if the wind noise is even coming from the bars. I would say it is negligible. Solid rack imo.
Thanks for the input!

dietch

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Considering the low profile option for a hard top and was wondering if anyone has used that option for a ski rack attachment? I have a Thule ski rack and the way it attaches to crossbars makes we wonder if there is enough room between the bars and the roof for the ski rack mount.

I know I can always just order the standard height but the low profile option just looks so clean.

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried a roof rack with these? I want to add a rhino rack pioneer platform, but wasn't sure if or how it would attach? Thanks guys!

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
p

I am thinking about getting this Rack for a RTT. Do yo see any potential issues with the Weight Distribution feet breaking the fiberglass hardtop?

I just dont like the idea of drilling holes in the hardtop for Rhinorack or Maximus 3 racks.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I am thinking about getting this Rack for a RTT. Do yo see any potential issues with the Weight Distribution feet breaking the fiberglass hardtop?

I just dont like the idea of drilling holes in the hardtop for Rhinorack or Maximus 3 racks.
I haven't had issues with the weight dist feet, but I did have issues with the rack brackets recently. The foam they use to protect the hardtop degraded and the metal started digging into the rails. Pretty bad design in my opinion. As soon as I noticed I went to home depot and bought thicker foam and it is fine now. I contacted the company that builds this and got absolute 0 customer support. They answered my e-mail saying sorry that I experienced issues then never replied.

With that said, there are a lot of people using it and they have had no issues with their RTTs. The reality is the hardtop on the wrangler sucks big time for carrying gear, if you drill your top you risk developing a crack and ruining your top (since the fiberglass is brittle). This HAS happened. There is always a risk, whichever way you go. In all honesty I would not put an RTT on my jeep unless I had a cage. If I am anxious driving around with two Kayaks, I can't imagine a RTT.

Look into dezee. Might actually be a better option, but hard to tell.

Sponsored

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I haven't had issues with the weight dist feet, but I did have issues with the rack brackets recently. The foam they use to protect the hardtop degraded and the metal started digging into the rails. Pretty bad design in my opinion. As soon as I noticed I went to home depot and bought thicker foam and it is fine now. I contacted the company that builds this and got absolute 0 customer support. They answered my e-mail saying sorry that I experienced issues then never replied.

With that said, there are a lot of people using it and they have had no issues with their RTTs. The reality is the hardtop on the wrangler sucks big time for carrying gear, if you drill your top you risk developing a crack and ruining your top (since the fiberglass is brittle). This HAS happened. There is always a risk, whichever way you go. In all honesty I would not put an RTT on my jeep unless I had a cage. If I am anxious driving around with two Kayaks, I can't imagine a RTT.

Look into dezee. Might actually be a better option, but hard to tell.
Thanks! I did see some other post where their hardtop cracked from the Rhino system.

I did look at Gobi rack, if they had an easy way to remove them I would have went with them, it makes the Jeep look too bulky and I probably don't need the rack 75% of the time.

I thought with the extra support (Weight Dist. legs) Expose Racks could handle more weight than De Zee (not an expert in this).

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks! I did see some other post where their hardtop cracked from the Rhino system.

I did look at Gobi rack, if they had an easy way to remove them I would have went with them, it makes the Jeep look too bulky and I probably don't need the rack 75% of the time.

I thought with the extra support (Weight Dist. legs) Expose Racks could handle more weight than De Zee (not an expert in this).
Yeah, technically the exposed racks RTT system can hold more weight than dezee. It consists of 4 crossbars + 4 feet per crossbar, so the weight is very well distributed across the entire top. Also if you get the one with the click in system it is quite nice, I love that feature. For an RTT you would be able to attach brackets to your RTT and load it on the rack very quickly. It is a very nice rack overall, just keep an eye on the rail brackets as they can seriously damage your top.

I am just kinda pissed of how they didn't offer any help or input into the issue. I also think it might be dangerous if the metal is in direct contact with the fiberglass it could actually damage it badly enough that the rack might be unsafe.

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Yeah, technically the exposed racks RTT system can hold more weight than dezee. It consists of 4 crossbars + 4 feet per crossbar, so the weight is very well distributed across the entire top. Also if you get the one with the click in system it is quite nice, I love that feature. For an RTT you would be able to attach brackets to your RTT and load it on the rack very quickly. It is a very nice rack overall, just keep an eye on the rail brackets as they can seriously damage your top.

I am just kinda pissed of how they didn't offer any help or input into the issue. I also think it might be dangerous if the metal is in direct contact with the fiberglass it could actually damage it badly enough that the rack might be unsafe.
So the part highlighted below could be problematic?

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? 1610573815132

jsy

First Name
jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon to be JL Sahara
Hi, I am interested in these racks for using on my hard top to add a yakima skybox or ski racks in the winter and then using with the top off in the summer to transport a paddleboard with a Thule Paddleboard rack or the skybox for extra storage. Was planning to get Thule wing bars but that won’t help me in the summer with the top off. Does anybody have experience using these racks for those purposes? Or suggestion for a better system. Thanks
Sponsored