Has anyone tried Exposed Racks?

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gray Wrangler JLUR
Did u guys get your racks? it has been freaking over 2 months for me. unbelievable.
I have not yet. Ordered two weeks ago, so not quite the same as you. Hoping they’ll be here this week.

Advertisement

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
I just got them today! and kayak click in accesories just shipped!

IMG_20200722_113821770.jpg

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gray Wrangler JLUR
I just got them today! and kayak click in accesories just shipped!

IMG_20200722_113821770.jpg
So exciting! Hopefully mine aren't too far behind... haha. Did you get any kind proof of shipping or tracking or whatever? Just trying to figure out if I should be on the lookout.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
So exciting! Hopefully mine aren't too far behind... haha. Did you get any kind proof of shipping or tracking or whatever? Just trying to figure out if I should be on the lookout.
Nope. they just got here today.

Installation is pretty easy until you have to install the hex bolts and the little brackets that go under the rain gutter. That is such a pain and you can EASILY stripe the bolts so be careful. Also, you will most likely cause scratches inside the rain gutter. I did, because the supplied foam around the brackets is not very good and doesn't cover all of it, so maybe get some thin foam before installation if you care about scratching.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gray Wrangler JLUR
Nope. they just got here today.

Installation is pretty easy until you have to install the hex bolts and the little brackets that go under the rain gutter. That is such a pain and you can EASILY stripe the bolts so be careful. Also, you will most likely cause scratches inside the rain gutter. I did, because the supplied foam around the brackets is not very good and doesn't cover all of it, so maybe get some thin foam before installation if you care about scratching.
Ahh, that's all good to know, thanks!

I ended up calling them this afternoon to check on the status and they said that it was moved to packaging today, so should be shipped in the next day or two. Of course, likely will arrive a couple days after I take off on my trip, but it's fine, I waited too long to order and I have other tents.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
Today I tried removing the bars to install support feet. partially failed.

the bolts can stripe easily. I used hand tools and tiny wrench, but the steel on the bars is very hard and if it touches the thread, your bolt is gone.
IMG_20200723_134519154.jpg

make sure the holes on the bars are well aligned with the brackets, and be VERY light with tightening.

Luckily for me a quick trip to the hardware store will fix my issue.

IMG_20200723_141423185.jpg

IMG_20200723_143448377.jpg

Last edited:

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 wrangler JL SAHARA
Today I tried removing the bars to install support feet. partially failed.

the bolts can stripe easily. I used hand tools and tiny wrench, but the steel on the bars is very hard and if it touches the thread, your bolt is gone.
IMG_20200723_134519154.jpg

make sure the holes on the bars are well aligned with the brackets, and be VERY light with tightening.

Luckily for me a quick trip to the hardware store will fix my issue.

IMG_20200723_141423185.jpg

IMG_20200723_143448377.jpg
Check my post some threads back. I specifically made a post regarding this. Sorry you didn’t see it.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gray Wrangler JLUR
That's all super helpful. Thank-you!

I actually got a shipping confirmation today... should be arriving next Wednesday. A little late for this trip, but I'm not getting on a plane any time soon, so plenty of other camping trips to do this summer and make use of the rack and tent.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gray Wrangler JLUR
Just a quick update, my racks came the last week of July while I was on vacation, so I installed them in the hard top the following week. Pretty easy and straightforward, maybe took an hour or so? However, I’m still waiting on the click-in brackets to connect to my RTT. I got an email on Monday though saying they shipped, so I should have them by early next week, and will hopefully be able to get the RTT up there next week as well. Gonna start getting cold up north soon, so will spend weekends camping further south, which will be wonderful.

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Hi. I'm installing exposed racks this weekend. What are surfers using for surf racks in addition to the exposed racks crossbars? thanks!

Advertisement

Winjet

Advertisement