Has anyone tried Exposed Racks?

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Wrangler JLUR
Did u guys get your racks? it has been freaking over 2 months for me. unbelievable.
I have not yet. Ordered two weeks ago, so not quite the same as you. Hoping they’ll be here this week.
Sponsored

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got them today! and kayak click in accesories just shipped!

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_20200722_113821770
So exciting! Hopefully mine aren't too far behind... haha. Did you get any kind proof of shipping or tracking or whatever? Just trying to figure out if I should be on the lookout.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So exciting! Hopefully mine aren't too far behind... haha. Did you get any kind proof of shipping or tracking or whatever? Just trying to figure out if I should be on the lookout.
Nope. they just got here today.

Installation is pretty easy until you have to install the hex bolts and the little brackets that go under the rain gutter. That is such a pain and you can EASILY stripe the bolts so be careful. Also, you will most likely cause scratches inside the rain gutter. I did, because the supplied foam around the brackets is not very good and doesn't cover all of it, so maybe get some thin foam before installation if you care about scratching.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. they just got here today.

Installation is pretty easy until you have to install the hex bolts and the little brackets that go under the rain gutter. That is such a pain and you can EASILY stripe the bolts so be careful. Also, you will most likely cause scratches inside the rain gutter. I did, because the supplied foam around the brackets is not very good and doesn't cover all of it, so maybe get some thin foam before installation if you care about scratching.
Ahh, that's all good to know, thanks!

I ended up calling them this afternoon to check on the status and they said that it was moved to packaging today, so should be shipped in the next day or two. Of course, likely will arrive a couple days after I take off on my trip, but it's fine, I waited too long to order and I have other tents.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Today I tried removing the bars to install support feet. partially failed.

the bolts can stripe easily. I used hand tools and tiny wrench, but the steel on the bars is very hard and if it touches the thread, your bolt is gone.
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_20200723_134519154

make sure the holes on the bars are well aligned with the brackets, and be VERY light with tightening.

Luckily for me a quick trip to the hardware store will fix my issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_20200723_141423185

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_20200723_143448377

Last edited:

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
Today I tried removing the bars to install support feet. partially failed.

the bolts can stripe easily. I used hand tools and tiny wrench, but the steel on the bars is very hard and if it touches the thread, your bolt is gone.

make sure the holes on the bars are well aligned with the brackets, and be VERY light with tightening.

Luckily for me a quick trip to the hardware store will fix my issue.

Check my post some threads back. I specifically made a post regarding this. Sorry you didn’t see it.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's all super helpful. Thank-you!

I actually got a shipping confirmation today... should be arriving next Wednesday. A little late for this trip, but I'm not getting on a plane any time soon, so plenty of other camping trips to do this summer and make use of the rack and tent.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick update, my racks came the last week of July while I was on vacation, so I installed them in the hard top the following week. Pretty easy and straightforward, maybe took an hour or so? However, I’m still waiting on the click-in brackets to connect to my RTT. I got an email on Monday though saying they shipped, so I should have them by early next week, and will hopefully be able to get the RTT up there next week as well. Gonna start getting cold up north soon, so will spend weekends camping further south, which will be wonderful.

iniezen

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Hi. I'm installing exposed racks this weekend. What are surfers using for surf racks in addition to the exposed racks crossbars? thanks!

Sponsored

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Finally got these installed! These are certainly heavy duty and I am impressed with the quality of all the components. I did chose to add the feet since my Hobie fishing kayak weighs nearly 100 lbs. I will say these were a bear to install but that was my fault. I finally went back and re-read the instructions. Intuitively, I thought you would set the rail into the gutter and tighten the clamp to it. With these, you must position the clamp where you want it and tighten to bring the rail into the gutter to the clamp. As usual, when all else fails, read the instructions.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_2016

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finally got these installed! These are certainly heavy duty and I am impressed with the quality of all the components. I did chose to add the feet since my Hobie fishing kayak weighs nearly 100 lbs. I will say these were a bear to install but that was my fault. I finally went back and re-read the instructions. Intuitively, I thought you would set the rail into the gutter and tighten the clamp to it. With these, you must position the clamp where you want it and tighten to bring the rail into the gutter at to the clamp. As usual, when all else fails, read the instructions.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? IMG_2016
Looks awesome. I fish out of a prowler 13 love it because it only weighs 55lbs, but Ive been looking into hobbie because pedals + fishing is a no brainer.

How are you getting the kayak all the way up there?

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
How are you getting the kayak all the way up there?
ER suggested that I remove the foam on the rear Y insert, lift the bow into the Y then lift and push from the stern. We have a Hobie tandem as well and will be trying that later today.

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick update, my racks came the last week of July while I was on vacation, so I installed them in the hard top the following week. Pretty easy and straightforward, maybe took an hour or so? However, I’m still waiting on the click-in brackets to connect to my RTT. I got an email on Monday though saying they shipped, so I should have them by early next week, and will hopefully be able to get the RTT up there next week as well. Gonna start getting cold up north soon, so will spend weekends camping further south, which will be wonderful.
Got the click-in brackets the last week of August and have been out camping a few times, most recently last weekend in Moab. There seems to be a tiny bit of wiggle room so I hear the brackets vibrate a little bit, but no biggie. I've driven hundreds of miles at interstate speeds and off-roads, and they seem solid and don't seem to be going anywhere.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? 1602871286523

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Got the click-in brackets the last week of August and have been out camping a few times, most recently last weekend in Moab. There seems to be a tiny bit of wiggle room so I hear the brackets vibrate a little bit, but no biggie. I've driven hundreds of miles at interstate speeds and off-roads, and they seem solid and don't seem to be going anywhere.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone tried Exposed Racks? 1602871286523
I was thinking using a bracket to mount a rotopax for 2 gal water can. think it would work?
Sponsored