OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Hahaha! Ain't that the truth. Like you said, nothing but loaded Saharas and Rubicons (with boring colors) on every lot...
Hey, I'm doin' my part. 2 door 6 speed Sport in orange or blue. Haha!
Sponsored

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
Those are the only two available colors I would consider. The Ocean Blue is pretty sweet.

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I'm having trouble understanding the draw of this unicorn.

Buy a new vehicle, only to do without? It's an indulgence to get a new one, why not get it the way you like it?

If you like it bare, you can always strip it down when you get it home. :lipssealed:
Hey, that might be the way some people want theirs. There's parts of the continent where A/C is easy to do without.

I'm personally buying a Sport because it's exactly what I want in a Jeep. If I was loaded I'd go Rubicon, but I'm not, so I won't.

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n ftw!
Cars in cool colors that are not white thru black are dying, even Wranglers. Have you seen how much hype there has been for a certain gray on this forum? :(

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Hey, that might be the way some people want theirs. There's parts of the continent where A/C is easy to do without.

I'm personally buying a Sport because it's exactly what I want in a Jeep. If I was loaded I'd go Rubicon, but I'm not, so I won't.
AC is added weight if you can't or don't need to make use of it to be sure.

If it's exactly what you want in a Jeep, then get er and grin ear to ear while driving. Just don't forget to wave. :rock:

If I were loaded I'd buy a Sport and build my own Sandstorm. :involve:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It would appear no one has done this, or hasn't seen the thread
Too soon...

Check back in just over 2 years when I replace the cottage JK which is base Sport except for EVIC, 430 for rear cam and 17” tire package.

Now that side airbags, basic instrument control and rear cam are included, likely it’ll be bone stock base, and then I’ll add a small handful of stuff like usual (likely lighting, rails and a few other minor tweaks).

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Buy a new vehicle, only to do without? It's an indulgence to get a new one, why not get it the way you like it?

If you like it bare, you can always strip it down when you get it home. :lipssealed:
Why get extras you don’t want or need?

Outside of mandated required features, I would prefer the opposite of your proposal, instead make all Wranglers base Sports and then add only what you want all the way up to ticking the “select all” box for the Poppin’ Mega Ruby-Rhod-Rock Special Edition...

giphy.gif

I never use and don’t want AC, even though all my JKUs have/had it. Prefer to not have it accounted for in the belt path either like for the Sport-B.

For some of us there’s also a tax for AC, so yet another chunk of change I’d rather have to spend on accesories elsewhere.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Base Jeeps are pretty popular where I live. Once the two doors are available there will be lots of 23B Sports running around with zero options.

If I were to get one of those it would be as a secondary vehicle that I would just drive around town when the weather was nice or I wanted to do some light off roading and keep in a garage (so I would almost never have to put the top up). I had considered this for a while because a compact car and a base JL would cost about the same as my Rubicon did.
So true...the price I paid for my JLUR I could’ve gotten a base JLU and a good chunk of a compact car paid for. Use the car for commuting and the Jeep on the weekend.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 / 2018 Sahara JLU. Formerly 2013 JK and 2003 Liberty Renegade

Because why spend the money to finance all the factory options, when one is just going to tear them all off and add aftermarket equipment? I bought a stripped Jeep because I knew I was going to be adding to it. A blank canvas, if you will. I never understood why some guys would buy a fully loaded Rubicon and then strip and exchange the wheels, suspension, fenders etc.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
There are a lot of options with the Wrangler, and it's why we all love them.

For my needs (wants lol), the Rubicon is a bargain. You really get a lot for the extra money. Is it a Sandstorm? No, but then a build like that is well out of my pay grade.

It's not my intent to make those who want the Sport to feel inadequate. So I really want to clear that up. It was a Sport and it's surprising abilities that made me fall in love with Jeep. It was just my opinion that when you buy a new vehicle, you should get what you want. Maybe splurge on the anti-spin? or that tint?

I would love to have "exactly" what I want when I order, but too many options and the build would take longer. I think that has proven to be a bit frustrating already. So we deal with packages and have to pay for a few things we will replace. Just Empty Every Pocket.

Cheers

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't think that a JL could be ordered without A/C
For the sole purpose of them getting to pretend the starting MSRP is "26,995" or "27,495" or whatever, as in reality probably 0.1% of buyers are gonna go without

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
I understand that there may be parts of the country where A/C is not required. That being said, I don't see the appeal of ordering without AC.
But even if someone doesn't need it for cooling they may need it for defogging - unless it's a lucky Jeep that always gets to go topless. I'd also be concerned about resale.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But even if someone doesn't need it for cooling they may need it for defogging - unless it's a lucky Jeep that always gets to go topless. I'd also be concerned about resale.
Never had any trouble selling my JKs with manual everything and no AC for nearly the same price I bought them. And that’s in Ontario where it’s very cold & damp in winter, and sticky wet hot in summer.
Sponsored