Sponsored

has anyone here driven one?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm 6' ft tall, just drove home my JLUR home, there are no headroom issues, if anything maybe a touch more with new panel design.
20180116_161010.jpg
Sponsored

domleeds1919

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero; soon to be JLU owner!
interesting reads. keep them coming!

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 69 firebird convertible
I sat in a Sahara for a few minutes today and can’t help but think that the door strap would constantly rub up against my leg while shifting. Seriously has me considering an automatic over my preferred manual. It won’t be a problem when the doors are off, but just sitting there I reached down several times to see what was touching my leg. Other than that, extremely impressed top to bottom.

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150. 2018 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Retired Dentist
Drove JL Rubi today. Excellent acceleration. Solid steering. Moderate wind noise. Red dash looks out of place. Awesome takeoff. Good visibility for driver. Side mirrors great view. No road walking. Very minimal vibration. Mild tire rumble. I’m waiting to order Ocean Blue 6 speed. Gleen’s Jeep in Lexington, KY had 2 red Rubis. One with color flares, one without. Personally, I much prefer the color flares. Neither one was sold so call Dan Maloney if you’re interested

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
This is all great feedback, thanks! Small request - besides noting the model driven could you also try to mention whether 2 or 4 door and whether stick or auto (obviously at this point they are all Pentastar's so motor choice is moot). Thanks.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Just test drove a Sahara 4 dr. Dealer didn’t have a Rubicon yet so when they do I’ll drive that to get a feel for how my Jeep will drive. It was a Auto and drove really well. Got up to speed quickly and lots of pep (I’d say more so than my JK). The leather seats were more comfortable and the heated seats/steering wheel got really warm really quick. The alpine stereo is loud...much better than the JK. I’m 6’3” and had no issues with leg/head room. Plenty of leg space sitting in the back seat as well. It had the freedom top in the trunk and wheel locks in the glove box. Didn’t see the windshield straps anywhere so not sure if those are included or not.

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Dentist
This is all great feedback, thanks! Small request - besides noting the model driven could you also try to mention whether 2 or 4 door and whether stick or auto (obviously at this point they are all Pentastar's so motor choice is moot). Thanks.
Both were 4 door
Both Rubis were 4 door automatics. Excellent transmission function. I’m a retired guy trying to go back in time a bit ( 45 years) to get back in a 6 speed. In my youth, only had 4 speed manuals. I like the new manual pattern which has reverse all the way left n forward. Must pull up onna shiftet ring to enter reverse

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Both were 4 door

Both Rubis were 4 door automatics. Excellent transmission function. I’m a retired guy trying to go back in time a bit ( 45 years) to get back in a 6 speed. In my youth, only had 4 speed manuals. I like the new manual pattern which has reverse all the way left n forward. Must pull up onna shiftet ring to enter reverse
Sorry just to be clear - you drove a manual 6 speed model and liked it? If so what did you think of the clutch feel?

I drove an Audi in Germany last spring, and with the reverse in same location as the new JL, I was sometimes putting it in reverse when I meant to put in forward gear. I was doing a lot of cussing at that gearbox. I am hoping the JL lockout is well done with the ring you mentioned, to prevent accidental reverse from occurring.

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Dentist
Sorry just to be clear - you drove a manual 6 speed model and liked it? If so what did you think of the clutch feel?

I drove an Audi in Germany last spring, and with the reverse in same location as the new JL, I was sometimes putting it in reverse when I meant to put in forward gear. I was doing a lot of cussing at that gearbox. I am hoping the JL lockout is well done with the ring you mentioned, to prevent accidental reverse from occurring.
No, I drove 2 automatic 4 dr Rubis. No manual shifts available to test drive in my locale

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There are no 2-doors in the wild yet.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Just got home from the dealership. Drove a JLUR. First impressions, its a Jeep, the difference from the JK is noticeable to me personally. The eight speed transmission makes a significant difference. When I had my JKUR the brakes felt too small, but the JL brakes felt really good. The interior was actually impressive, although I did not get to play with the U Connect off road pages, it felt almost twice as fast as the touch screen in my Grand Cherokee. All of the materials felt substantial and quality, almost satisfying sitting in the drivers seat. I almost can't stand waiting until Monday when I go place my order for mine.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
There are no 2-doors in the wild yet.
Yes, I know - but this is a request for when they DO arrive it's clear what is being driven. Or are you proposing a separate thread?

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm sure the JL will be very solid while its new. My JK has zero rattles or squeaks gliding over washboard dirt roads cause it's still new.

I have friends with 8-10 year old JKs with 100k+ that wheel every weekend, and they're rattle boxes like any old Jeep. The JL will be no different. Energy has to disperse somewhere, and solid axles can only absorb so much before the rest of the Jeep starts to feel it, which in time means a clunky rattle box Jeep lol

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Was lucky enough to be the first in my town to drive a JL yesterday.
It was a JLU Sport hardtop. I’ve never owned a Jeep but have driven a JKU in the past. It look great inside and out. Plenty of power and maneuverability was fantastic. Was much more fun to drive then my current F-150 Super Crew. Still a good amount of wind noise at 60mph. Also concerned about storage space.
When I left I told the salesmen to let me know when a Shara comes in. My plan was to wait for the Scrambler but not sure I can wait. Might need this in the mean time.
Sponsored