Sponsored

Hard top rumble

Jpspaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
On my drive to work Monday morning I noticed a low frequency rumble that appears to be coming from the hard top. It is giving me a headache and I can't figure out why it's occurring. If I sit in the back seat and pound on the roof it makes the same sound. I do have the factory installed sound deadening headliner. It is not engine or speed related, it happens all the time when in motion and varies with bumps. Anyone experiencing something similar? I feel like my head is inside a bass drum.
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
On my drive to work Monday morning I noticed a low frequency rumble that appears to be coming from the hard top. It is giving me a headache and I can't figure out why it's occurring. If I sit in the back seat and pound on the roof it makes the same sound. I do have the factory installed sound deadening headliner. It is not engine or speed related, it happens all the time when in motion and varies with bumps. Anyone experiencing something similar? I feel like my head is inside a bass drum.
I hear it in mine too. but I don't notice it on all roads. Like you said it does vary depending on the condition (bumps) of the road. My JK did it too until I installed a headliner kit. Surprised yours still has rumbling noise this with the headliner. I actually just don't notice it while the radio is on which is 95% of the time. Not loud, just on moderate volume level.

OP
OP

Jpspaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Maybe try pulling the freedom tops off and resetting them.
I did try that and it seemed slightly better but not a marked improvement. While I wait for a dealer appointment I am going to pull off the spare tire, rotate the tires, and check the suspension components for anything obvious.

Sponsored

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
Put a piece of foam between the roof and the roll-bar.

I had same issue and put the foam piece and has been fine for over two years.

OP
OP

Jpspaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
I tried a towel and parts of a noodle between the rear most roll bar and the top. It seemed to help a little but it's still a problem. I am wondering why this issue just popped up now after having no problems for 2.5 years. With the freedom tops off the sound seems to be gone or at least diminished to the point I don't notice it.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it is the roof flexing like a drum head directly above the roll bar. I stuffed a pool noodle across the whole length of the roll bar and this stops it.

I can always tell when it has shifted as the buffeting returns.
Sponsored