Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to install a Yaesu FTM-400XDR. I'm looking for recommendation on an antenna. My Problem is I'm wanting a tri-band (Airband/2M/ 70cm), and I'm looking for low profile. The airband is just to listen, plan to TX on 2M/70Cm.

I have an 8' garage door, and I know I can mount a few different NMO mount antenna's like <<<HERE>>>, but wanted to reach out to those here for more advices. I've even thought about just using the Diamond K9000TM Motorized mount to lower the antenna if the best option is an 18" plus antenna that would not fit in my garage. I have about 10 inches from the Rack to clear the garage door.

I'm honestly just looking for the right antenna for what I want to do. Listen to Airband, TX on 2M and 70CM, and fitting this thing on my rig mounted high (NOT looking for a bumper or hood flange mount). I'm not opposed to installing a duplexer with more then one antenna if needed. I plan to install it on Drivers side, aft, mounted on the Rhino Rack. I'll be testing the rack's "ground" tomorrow, but that metal runs all the way to the chassis. "Should Be" good.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM/GMRS Antenna Question 1612583510329
Sponsored

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
For the antenna, I am fan of the TRAM antennas. I have a 2/70, and it receives Airband and gmrs just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDTJ2K...abc_2RTDFD97EKZ677AKGDF0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is a 1/4 wave antenna at 18inches. You will have a hard time getting anything smaller for the 2m frequency.

The compact ones I have used suffer from very poor range. I think they are 1/16 wave, which is not enough radiation to be useful.

Last edited:

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the same radio installed in my JLUR; a Yaesu FTM-400XDR (MARS modded). I paired it w/the "Comet CA-2x4SR NMO" antenna and it works great on 2m/70cm to include GMRS freqs.

Its height might be a little taller than you'd like but...if you (or anyone) is looking for antenna that works and is tuned for HAM & GMRS...this is it.
Sponsored