Half Doors

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I called my dealership and tried seeing if they had or could get a set, they said no lol.
Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I called my dealership and tried seeing if they had or could get a set, they said no lol.
They’re being lazy would be my guess. Based on the number of parts involved, I could see it being a PITA for them

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Well I asked about ordering a jeep with a set that I could buy. Was told no since it would show up on the sticker

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Just to follow up... This is my first Jeep, so obviously my first experience with half doors, but I absolutely love them... with some asterisks... Here's my really wordy review.. (tldr; I love the half doors, they fix the ergonomics of the full doors for me, but the uppers do kind of suck on the freeway.)

I drove 600 miles on I5 to get them - 300 there with no doors, 300 back with the half doors, normal freeway speeds 55-75mph. Yesterday was cold for August, it was 47 at home in the morning and only just creeped up to 62 hours into my trip to pick them up. I froze my ass off because I was foolishly dressed for summer. But, this gave me a great direct comparison of no doors vs half doors freeway driving.

For folks who drive doorless, you know.. with no doors - it's really loud (wind noise), and really strong wind/gusts, etc. The amazing heater cannot cope with no doors when it's cold out. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of freeway driving with no doors. It's great at slower speeds, but if you can't even hear your tunes, it's less fun.

The half doors (without uppers) are mostly the same as rolling down the windows with full doors as far as wind strength and noise, which (to me) is just enough of both. Where the half doors shine though..is fixing the claustrophobic feeling from the full doors. It's not a huge change, but, it's significant. For me, using the full door armrest feels like I'm having to squish in, but using the window opening is not a comfortable/resting position for my arm either - too high and too far forward. The top of the half door is "just right", it's nice and wide, the perfect height, and my arm can rest beside me, not in front of me. It's like sitting in a la-z-boy now, which is pretty sweet. The extra large "window opening" is a bonus, and mostly feels the same as doorless in that regard (I don't miss seeing/hearing the road).

Now, I drove half of my journey home with the ("premium") uppers on because I was still cold from the trip up and it had barely crested 70 midday.. and I wasn't terribly impressed. They fit great, no adjustments needed, good seal, no light. The fit and finish is really great... but they can't cope with freeway speeds very well. Constantly pulling away from the front upper corner, occasionally the entire top edge pulling away.. leaving a gap about 1/8" .. if it were raining, you might not get soaked, but it'll undoubtedly get drippy in there. There was also a whole lot of "parachute" action of the soft windows - blowing in or out, which was really unnerving, and it felt like something was going to fail. I also really kind of hate the fact that the windows unzip down.. you lose any ability to rest your arm on anything with the window "open", so, if it's for more than getting a bag of food from a drive through, you're gonna want to stop and pull the uppers out.. I'd rather they unzipped up or sideways so you could roll it up and out of the way. The controversial window divider does get in the way of the side mirror a bit, but isn't a huge deal for me. They do cut down on the noise and wind, and obviously will help in the cold or rain, and they store easily enough in the Jeep, so... Great for unexpected weather, or a trip driving through mixed conditions, but, not a great year-round option.... probably why Jeeps aren't available with only half doors; folks like me who haven't had Jeeps for years just aren't used to that level of compromise.

The last thing is... The doors are incredibly light, they feel like they are filled with helium. They have a fairly decent "thunk" when you close them, but very, very, very light doors. There is no door check like the full doors, unfortunately.. just the limit strap.. So if you're used to opening the door with a certain amount of force, you will surely bang the doors into stuff if you don't give yourself room or stay extremely mindful of that. I'm sure the same applies to tube doors, etc. I'm just a little sad that it doesn't have that door check, it would have compensated for the lightness and given just a little bit of extra door theft protection - probably something that is a concern now, since these doors are difficult to get and expensive - especially if combined with a keyed door check bolt like they have for wheels. Quick edit: Be prepared to constantly remind passengers to open the door slowly.

Good luck y'all on your half door quests!

Last edited:

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Just to follow up... This is my first Jeep, so obviously my first experience with half doors, but I absolutely love them... with some asterisks... Here's my really wordy review.. (tldr; I love the half doors, they fix the ergonomics of the full doors for me, but the uppers do kind of suck on the freeway.)

I drove 600 miles on I5 to get them - 300 there with no doors, 300 back with the half doors, normal freeway speeds 55-75mph. Yesterday was cold for August, it was 47 at home in the morning and only just creeped up to 62 hours into my trip to pick them up. I froze my ass off because I was foolishly dressed for summer. But, this gave me a great direct comparison of no doors vs half doors freeway driving.

For folks who drive doorless, you know.. with no doors - it's really loud (wind noise), and really strong wind/gusts, etc. The amazing heater cannot cope with no doors when it's cold out. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of freeway driving with no doors. It's great at slower speeds, but if you can't even hear your tunes, it's less fun.

The half doors (without uppers) are mostly the same as rolling down the windows with full doors as far as wind strength and noise, which (to me) is just enough of both. Where the half doors shine though..is fixing the claustrophobic feeling from the full doors. It's not a huge change, but, it's significant. For me, using the full door armrest feels like I'm having to squish in, but using the window opening is not a comfortable/resting position for my arm either - too high and too far forward. The top of the half door is "just right", it's nice and wide, the perfect height, and my arm can rest beside me, not in front of me. It's like sitting in a la-z-boy now, which is pretty sweet. The extra large "window opening" is a bonus, and mostly feels the same as doorless in that regard (I don't miss seeing/hearing the road).

Now, I drove half of my journey home with the ("premium") uppers on because I was still cold from the trip up and it had barely crested 70 midday.. and I wasn't terribly impressed. They fit great, no adjustments needed, good seal, no light. The fit and finish is really great... but they can't cope with freeway speeds very well. Constantly pulling away from the front upper corner, occasionally the entire top edge pulling away.. leaving a gap about 1/8" .. if it were raining, you might not get soaked, but it'll undoubtedly get drippy in there. There was also a whole lot of "parachute" action of the soft windows - blowing in or out, which was really unnerving, and it felt like something was going to fail. I also really kind of hate the fact that the windows unzip down.. you lose any ability to rest your arm on anything with the window "open", so, if it's for more than getting a bag of food from a drive through, you're gonna want to stop and pull the uppers out.. I'd rather they unzipped up or sideways so you could roll it up and out of the way. The controversial window divider does get in the way of the side mirror a bit, but isn't a huge deal for me. They do cut down on the noise and wind, and obviously will help in the cold or rain, and they store easily enough in the Jeep, so... Great for unexpected weather, or a trip driving through mixed conditions, but, not a great year-round option.... probably why Jeeps aren't available with only half doors; folks like me who haven't had Jeeps for years just aren't used to that level of compromise.

The last thing is... The doors are incredibly light, they feel like they are filled with helium. They have a fairly decent "thunk" when you close them, but very, very, very light doors. There is no door check like the full doors, unfortunately.. just the limit strap.. So if you're used to opening the door with a certain amount of force, you will surely bang the doors into stuff if you don't give yourself room or stay extremely mindful of that. I'm sure the same applies to tube doors, etc. I'm just a little sad that it doesn't have that door check, it would have compensated for the lightness and given just a little bit of extra door theft protection - probably something that is a concern now, since these doors are difficult to get and expensive - especially if combined with a keyed door check bolt like they have for wheels. Quick edit: Be prepared to constantly remind passengers to open the door slowly.

Good luck y'all on your half door quests!
curious as to what classifieds you found them on. Here on the forum? I scour Craigslist nationally every few days and very rarely see any, especially any that are affordable. I was really jealous of the price until I realized you have a 2 door. Still a good deal, though.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
curious as to what classifieds you found them on. Here on the forum? I scour Craigslist nationally every few days and very rarely see any, especially any that are affordable. I was really jealous of the price until I realized you have a 2 door. Still a good deal, though.
I hate to even mention it, but...shudder... Facebook Marketplace. Funnily enough, I only found them because I was looking for a hard top on craigslist for weeks unsuccessfully, so I just googled "auto parts classifieds" thinking maybe there was new fangled site people use and I was a dinosaur using craigslist...

I managed to find a hard top for $800 and the half doors for $1350... and an excuse to take two road trips and 1400 miles in my Jeep! Plus, my wife hasn't made me sleep on the couch yet (that's touch and go though... it might depend on how much I spend to get them painted).

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It appears that within the past few days/weeks Quadratec.com has posted what appears to be a parts list for the factory half doors:

https://www.quadratec.com/parts/wrangler-jl/front-half-door-parts

https://www.quadratec.com/parts/wrangler-jl/rear-half-door-parts

A complete set (driver and passenger) of ONLY FRONT doors via Quadratec’s parts list came out to just about $3100. This still leaves the rear set and the assembling (or paying to have assembled), painting and dealer-flashing to work correctly with your particular Jeep’s proximity locks, etc.

I lost steam when I got a few parts into the rear set but they figure to come in right around $2700ish. That’s a lot clams for half doors and they’re not even painted or keyed to work with your Jeep yet.

I still want a set though but it could get to be around $7K or so when its all said and done. Not sure I want them THAT bad…

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey fellow Jeeper’s, don’t forget to check Craigslist and EBay. I found a set with premium uppers for less than what the dual door option group goes for. That was including shipping.
Jeep Wrangler JL Half Doors PXL_20210809_015219175~2-01
Jeep Wrangler JL Half Doors PXL_20210809_015219175~2-01
Curious to know how you organized shipping for it. I have never even looked into shipping something as big as a set of 4 half doors. Any idea where I could look to start? I often times find a set I like, but they are halfway across the country from me and don't even know where to begin to get a quote for freight.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I hate to even mention it, but...shudder... Facebook Marketplace. Funnily enough, I only found them because I was looking for a hard top on craigslist for weeks unsuccessfully, so I just googled "auto parts classifieds" thinking maybe there was new fangled site people use and I was a dinosaur using craigslist...

I managed to find a hard top for $800 and the half doors for $1350... and an excuse to take two road trips and 1400 miles in my Jeep! Plus, my wife hasn't made me sleep on the couch yet (that's touch and go though... it might depend on how much I spend to get them painted).
Good price.

The ones I've seen ask prices have been above $7k for a set of two doors. I haven't found any local ones either. I'll keep looking. If I can really get a set for anywhere near that $1350 price, I'll buy them immediately.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Good price.

The ones I've seen ask prices have been above $7k for a set of two doors. I haven't found any local ones either. I'll keep looking. If I can really get a set for anywhere near that $1350 price, I'll buy them immediately.
Yeah, I just got lucky I suppose. I found a cool dude on craigslist that has an autobody shop in town, just a one-man operation, semi-retired. He's shooting them black for me for $350; so I'll be all-in for $1700 - and I can cannibalize the proximity lock parts to upgrade my wife's Willys! One of these days I'll figure out why there are locks on half doors....

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
Yeah, I just got lucky I suppose. I found a cool dude on craigslist that has an autobody shop in town, just a one-man operation, semi-retired. He's shooting them black for me for $350; so I'll be all-in for $1700 - and I can cannibalize the proximity lock parts to upgrade my wife's Willys! One of these days I'll figure out why there are locks on half doors....
if he gets a set for a 4 door let me know. i'm willing to make a long ass drive for a good price on a set.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those that bought these second hand, how are you dealing with someone else having a physical key that unlocks the doors you bought? I assume the only way to remedy the situation would be to replace the lock.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Those that bought these second hand, how are you dealing with someone else having a physical key that unlocks the doors you bought? I assume the only way to remedy the situation would be to replace the lock.
Yeah, I ordered new lock cylinders... Also, anyone can just reach in and pull the interior handle. I do wish if the key lock or fob was used to lock the doors, then the interior handle wouldn't do that.

I am a little freaked out about door theft... I'm going to run a cable lock from the door to the body where the wires run.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I ordered new lock cylinders... Also, anyone can just reach in and pull the interior handle. I do wish if the key lock or fob was used to lock the doors, then the interior handle wouldn't do that.

I am a little freaked out about door theft... I'm going to run a cable lock from the door to the body where the wires run.
thanks. I figured it was a bit irrelevant anyway since the uppers could be just cut or bent to get in, but figured I’d ask.

as for theft of the doors...they bolt in through the hinges like the full doors, right? Could always get something like this. https://www.extremeterrain.com/mcga...ZdWx04qeYc6uXNnrq8xoCqD8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sponsored