ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Jeep kinda hates half doors I think.

With the jk they offered them at same price as full doors and most dealerships didn't even know what they were, when though all the promotional material showed them. Almost no dealer ordered half doors besides special orders so they assumed no one wanted them. And even if your wanted after market, just like now you have to price them together which lowered stores when more.

Now for the jl they didn't even come out with them until 3 years after they started production. But again they are in all the promotional material. The donut does were really talked about and then jeep just decided nope, not happening anymore. I'm sure I'm wrong but I don't think it's normal to rental a huge feature like that and then just cut it. I mean they had the dimensions at that time so why take 3 years to finish it?
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I’m following this thread and two things come to mind:

1. Thank goodness for and kudos to the many fine forum members who are devoting their time, energy and labor toward this project. This appears to be a Herculean task but step by step you folks keep chipping away at this. Hats off…

2. Jeep/FCA should absolutely be ashamed of themselves for leaving current JL owners in the lurch on half doors. Rather than make half doors available for purchase as a stand-alone “performance” part via the parts department at your local dealership they require their customers to first identify and then (literally) piece together the various components themselves. Oh yeah, want those to color match your JL? You’ll be shelling out even more to the paint shop you find. That’s an awfully weak play from Jeep and a big missed business opportunity to siphon more money from the JL’s early adopters.
Another layer on top of this is that the half doors are only offered in a specific configuration (power locks) and only a few colors.... I'm assuming they are mass producing the doors in the most popular colors and just doing a few minor things before shipping them out with the vehicle (keying the locks, installing either proximity or standard exterior handles based on vehicle config). I think I saw from the install video that they aren't even adjusting the hinges at the factory.

It's likely that even if they were offered as an aftermarket accessory, they would only be available to certain color Jeeps with power locks... not that I'd particularly care about a power lock switch that didn't do anything on my manual lock Jeep or, say, black doors on my green Jeep - but what's acceptable to me may seem outrageous to others... so it could be that's why it's not being offered.

The hassle (and expense of buying all the individual parts) sure doesn't seem worth it to me at this point. It is giving me second thoughts about keeping my lease so I could order one with the half doors.. damn you Jeep.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Been a bit, any update with a package here?

Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Me too! And the money is in the bank. Benny, whatcha got for us?
Same! I put away money for this exact upgrade. They weren't an option when I ordered my JLUR otherwise I would have got them. I guess Nacho and half doors aren't possible from the factory.

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Same! I put away money for this exact upgrade. They weren't an option when I ordered my JLUR otherwise I would have got them. I guess Nacho and half doors aren't possible from the factory.
Exactly! Still no Gecko half doors in the order guide.

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Sorry guys I was away and am catching up, I hope to have some solid info in the upcoming weeks.

Thanks for your patience,
- Benny
I am really hoping for some good news! I am itching to buy some.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Hey fellow Jeeper’s, don’t forget to check Craigslist and EBay. I found a set with premium uppers for less than what the dual door option group goes for. That was including shipping.
Same, and in my color. WIth the market the way it is people are buying jeeps w/ features they don't want just to get the jeep color/model they want. Great time to find half doors from someone who doesn't want them

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a set in Jackson, MS on Craigslist that look like they are green. $5,500

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Same, and in my color. WIth the market the way it is people are buying jeeps w/ features they don't want just to get the jeep color/model they want. Great time to find half doors from someone who doesn't want them
My color isn't available in half doors - So I'll be painting anything I'm able to get. But now I have a saved search - thanks for the idea!