Sponsored

Gullwing windows for 2 door Rubicon

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
Hey all,

I had been looking for gulling windows for my 2 door for quite a while and finally found a company in the Netherlands that makes them. (Link below). They make other accessories that bolt on to the metal borders of these windows. They're engineered for 2 door and 4 door JL's as well as lots of other 4x4 brands/models.

https://explore-glazing.nl/en/products/jeep-wrangler-jlu-jl

This website is a bit slow, but they do have interactive 3d renderings of each of their products so it’s a nice way to really see the designs.

The windows arrived several months ago but I just finally had them installed this past week. I do all my own work on the Jeep, but I decided to have a custom glass shop install these as I've never worked with glass before. I am really happy with how they turned out and just yesterday I was able to use them out on the trail. I put the rear seats back in and took 4 of us out to Rouse Hill Road near Thomas Mountain in Southern California. The rear passengers really enjoyed having the gull wings open for visibility and fresh air. They commented that with the freedom panels removed and these windows open it felt much less claustrophobic back there. We just had to be careful if the road narrowed and close them back up again.

They really helped with cabin accessibility when stopped for lunch/snack breaks. My girlfriend (and dog) and I camp with rear seats removed and rear cargo compartment packed to the gills, so I'm really looking forward to packing with this accessibility in mind. Now we have access from tailgate, behind the seats and through each of these windows.

Each window has two locks and all four of those locks use the same key. They kit came with 4 keys and a tube of adhesive for each window.

I will say that the glass and opening is not very tall because the aluminum border is so thick. When I first took them out of the box I was disappointed to see this, but having them installed now and having used them on the trail I can say that it doesn’t bother me much if at all. It’d be a little more convenient if the glass/opening was little bigger, but it’s really not a deal breaker. In fact, in my case the thicker border means that the glass clears the rear towers of the Gobi rack with a few inches to spare so no collisions there. As mentioned above the thick border accepts other accessories that Explore Glazing makes like a fold down slotted table that protects the glass when folded up and provides more working area when down. You can also attach things like Maxtrax, shovels, Rotopax, etc. to these tables so they may be in my future. Cool design!

Please ask if you have any questions about these windows. I’m really happy with these and haven't seen anything like them in the U.S. yet so I thought I’d share with you all.

tempImagegoEkFI.png

tempImagekbqNKo.png

tempImageyhZbDP.png

tempImagev6w1Vh.png

tempImageA8sgrw.png

tempImagepgYGP0.png

tempImage1Zua0u.png

tempImage9krRP9.png

tempImagepTGTmV.png

tempImagecydjdk.png
Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
These look cool.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
How much did your glass shop charge you?

I need to work through the exchange rates. With a cracked driver side glass in my JL, I've been eyeing this. But would be more likely to get the sliding window.

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I paid $350 total for both to be installed. I'm really not sure what the going rate is, but this was one of the only shops I could find that would be do custom installations for glass they didn't cut themselves so I just went for it.

Sponsored

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I paid $350 total for both to be installed. I'm really not sure what the going rate is, but this was one of the only shops I could find that would be do custom installations for glass they didn't cut themselves so I just went for it.
Did the installation seem fundamentally different from a normal window from their perspective?

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the installation seem fundamentally different from a normal window from their perspective?
No they said that other than being pretty heavy it was just like installing standard windows.

The windows come with their own adhesive (one tube per side) and we had a bit of a debate about that. I wanted them to use the adhesive that the windows came with since I figured that's what the engineers had tested and found to be the best. But they were concerned that if they ran out of it they'd have to mix and match adhesive which they really didn't want to do. It's a German/Dutch (can't remember which) brand and they'd never heard of it and didn't have access to more. When I picked up the Jeep they said that they did in fact only use one tube per side. They didn't charge me for adhesive so I have no suspicions about that being the reason - I think they figured we'd be kind of stuck for a while trying to get more if they needed more than two tubes.

I haven't had any problems with the adhesive they chose, but I do think I'd feel a bit better if they'd used what came with the kit. Just my two cents on that if it comes up prior to install.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The glass shop that the local body shop uses (Montgomery, AL) has been slow to decide whether they are comfortable doing this installation. I don't yet have an installer on board with installing. Anybody near me pay for installation?

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transferring USD to Netherlands has some obstacles. The service proposed by the vendor doesn't currently do US --> NL transfers.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Gullwing windows.
From the Netherlands.
Created for perhaps the most red/white/blue vehicle to have ever existed.

Color me impressed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transferring USD to Netherlands has some obstacles. The service proposed by the vendor doesn't currently do US --> NL transfers.

I used Wise. Great service. Really easy to transfer money into Euros and then you'll have a separate account number you can pay for things in Euros with.

OP
OP
acsak

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gullwing windows.
From the Netherlands.
Created for perhaps the most red/white/blue vehicle to have ever existed.

Color me impressed.
Well it was originally made for use in a European land war in which the Netherlands were definitely involved, so there's that!

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purchased the sliding window version, moving the money through Wise. Should be arriving this week per FedEx. I'm hoping to install Monday. With gas prices so cheap, a great day to drive a few hours for installation.

Update--Installed June 24th and loving it. Passenger side now ordered.

July 21--passenger side installed now too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gullwing windows for 2 door Rubicon KIMG0008_1.JPG

Last edited:

Swissswiss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr sport s v6
I purchased the sliding window version, moving the money through Wise. Should be arriving this week per FedEx. I'm hoping to install Monday. With gas prices so cheap, a great day to drive a few hours for installation.

Update--Installed June 24th and loving it. Passenger side now ordered.

July 21--passenger side installed now too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gullwing windows for 2 door Rubicon KIMG0008_1.JPG
I love the function but looks a lil funny. Can you please post a video of how it opens? Can it open both ways? Or just slides from front to back?

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the function but looks a lil funny. Can you please post a video of how it opens? Can it open both ways? Or just slides from front to back?
I suppose you could mount "upside down" if you wanted to go to the rear of the vehicle (from inside) or if you wanted to open your tailgate to reach what would then be at lower back corner instead of upper front. The handle top and bottom (when squeezed together) retract a pin that slides into one of the six recessed/ slots. Perhaps 1.5" increments.

I had a huge crack in factory side glass one day. I just couldn't envision paying $400 - $500 plus installation to have factory replacement. Throw in stifling heat and it wasn't too hard to justify.

The vendor has a gull wing variety, if that's your thing. With 100+ degree heat, ventilation was my use case. With the guards attached via security screws, leaving windows partially or completely open lets me return to a slightly cooler vehicle in summer. And lets me have more air moving than might otherwise be moving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gullwing windows for 2 door Rubicon Screenshot_20220721-171621
Sponsored