GPCA Grab Handles Noise

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For anyone with the GPCA grab handles, do you have a plasticy squeaking noise? I've them installed for a couple months now and just recently started noticing it? I think it's only on the driver side and I've tried taking it off and then putting it back on to only notice the noise again a couple hours or day later.

Starting to think I might need something else if this can't be fixed...
Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone with the GPCA grab handles, do you have a plasticy squeaking noise? I've them installed for a couple months now and just recently started noticing it? I think it's only on the driver side and I've tried taking it off and then putting it back on to only notice the noise again a couple hours or day later.

Starting to think I might need something else if this can't be fixed...
Weird, because there isn't any plastic on the GPCA handles anywhere. I seriously doubt it's your metal handles.

Are they "plasticy squeaking" when you're driving, grabbing them? Again, weird because mine don't make any noise either way. No one else has complained about them making any noise.

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Weird, because there isn't any plastic on the GPCA handles anywhere. I seriously doubt it's your metal handles.

Are they "plasticy squeaking" when you're driving, grabbing them? Again, weird because mine don't make any noise either way. No one else has complained about them making any noise.
They make noise during normal driving and still make some noise when grabbing them. I'll take a look when I get back in the Jeep tomorrow but it's loud enough for a passenger to hear it. I have them tight enough so that the grab handle can stay lifted out of the way on their own but nothing crazy

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Are you sure its the handle and not the plastic trim on the roll bar under it? I mounted mine without the pen holder so that it was a bit more snug. That holder seemed to not allow me to get the straps as tight around the bar as I wanted it. That was my only issue with these handles. Love then otherwise.

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are you sure its the handle and not the plastic trim on the roll bar under it? I mounted mine without the pen holder so that it was a bit more snug. That holder seemed to not allow me to get the straps as tight around the bar as I wanted it. That was my only issue with these handles. Love then otherwise.
I'm pretty sure it's not the plastic because I took the handles off and felt the plastic sections and they feel snug. I re-installed the grab handles in a slightly different area and it seems to have fixed the noise; however, now I have to find the sweet spot with tightening them down because the little buttons on the handles can vibrate now and make another strange noise. I agree I love them too best grab handles I've seen yet so definitely trying to find the right solution

Sponsored

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Updating this thread...

This particular noise is not coming from the grab handles. It seems that it has to do with how the driver's freedom panel is seated. When the noise started and I was driving I grabbed the freedom top with my hand and that silenced the noise and then letting go the noise came back. Any ideas what could be contributing to this and/or a solution?

Also, does anyone else notice that the buttons on the grab handles are loose and noisy? I don't understand why they have those there if they are so loose...

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Updating this thread...

This particular noise is not coming from the grab handles. It seems that it has to do with how the driver's freedom panel is seated. When the noise started and I was driving I grabbed the freedom top with my hand and that silenced the noise and then letting go the noise came back. Any ideas what could be contributing to this and/or a solution?

Also, does anyone else notice that the buttons on the grab handles are loose and noisy? I don't understand why they have those there if they are so loose...
Are you taking the freedom tops off and on in the correct order? Take off the drivers side one first then the passenger side. Install the passenger side one first then the drivers side when putting both back on. That may be your problem. The seals overlap a specific way.

I knew it wasn't your GPCA handles.

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are you taking the freedom tops off and on in the correct order? Take off the drivers side one first then the passenger side. Install the passenger side one first then the drivers side when putting both back on. That may be your problem. The seals overlap a specific way.

I knew it wasn't your GPCA handles.
Definitely taking the freedom tops off and putting them back on in the right order. The weather stripping and the overlaps force it to be that way. The noise seems like theres not enough pressure on the driver's side freedom top. When I was driving and heard the noise I put my hand up and pushed down on the freedom top and that seemed to quiet the noise. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust the downward force on the freedom panel or maybe there is a way to re-lubricate the weather stripping so that way the freedom panel sits down in the appropriate place. I just don't know what to use for that.

The grab handles were also making a noise though and it was because of the buttons on the straps. Mine seem pretty loose and if you tap the button it makes a rattle sound so I just put black electrical tape over them to quiet that down

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Take off the drivers side one first then the passenger side. Install the passenger side one first then the drivers side when putting both back on. That may be your problem. The seals overlap a specific way.
ALWAYS check the seals to ensure they are all aligned right.
Sponsored