Garage Hoist Install

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anyone in S Florida installed a hard top hoist in their garage? I'm looking to install one, but this goes beyond my "do it yourself" skills. Any tips are appreciated.
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
A lot of videos on you tube. There are also full kits you can buy but I am cheap so I made my own. Here is what I did.

OP
OP
FerrdIsTheWord

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A lot of videos on you tube. There are also full kits you can buy but I am cheap so I made my own. Here is what I did.

Thank you, very cool! It's the mounting to the ceiling that has me uncomfortable; not so much the building of the lift. I'll go through youtube for ideas, instructions.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
It's really not too terribly bad. I just installed a Harken Hoister a couple months ago with the help of a neighbor (just to help hold the board on the ceiling while I drilled the holes and inserted the lag bolts. The instructions were helpful and straight-forward. I centered and backed my Jeep in with the rear window up so I could get an idea of how far back I can go, needed to get past the garage door opener but not so far that the window wouldn't open. Then I used a plumb bob to mark on the ceiling where the 4 areas of my hard top were where I'd want the hoist pulley's. From there I had to find the joists, or ceiling studs and adjust everything a little. To get the ceiling boards straight I just made sure to measure from the back wall in two spots and lined up the board. Then got the distance to the next plumb line and measured that forward twice to make sure the 2nd board was aligned straight. It was very time-consuming because I didn't want to f-it all up and have holes everywhere. As it is, I do have pencil marks everywhere but they'll erase if it really starts to bother me. With the top lifted you don't see anything anyway. Just give it a shot and find a friend who has some carpentry skill and feed them beer and pizza. It's rewarding once you get it done and can lift you top off any time you want.

Jeep Wrangler JL Garage Hoist Install Harken Hoister