kevinsmith812

kevinsmith812

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is your problem repeating at the same pump at the same station, or multiple pumps at multiple stations? The shutoff is often a nozzle issue. One BP station near me was particularly bad on this. I figured it was a specific mechanic who adjusted the station's shutoffs for maximum sensitivity.
It happens at multiple stations. And it seems to be getting worse.
Sponsored

ArielPR

First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I had a Suburban with similar problem, it was the fuel tank vent box or something like that. A small canister with fuel lines going into it, once replace never had the problem again.

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I did on my JK when it was new. Dealer found a factory worker had left a crumpled up piece of paper in the filler tube. That has been my only dealer visit on this Jeep. Hope my JL is this good...
Pinched vent line. As fuel goes in the air in the tank is displaced and needs to get out. It goes out the vent tube. If it can't get out, then fuel splashes into the nozzle and kicks it off.

Last edited:

jph#missouri

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
My Wrangler is such a pain to fill up with gas. The nozzle kicks off all the time. This happens at multiple gas stations. Even if I just hold the handle and half squeeze I only get about a gallon at a time before it kicks off.

anyone else experience this?
You probably have something stuck in your gas tank . I had this problem also . I was filling my tank once in awhile from a Jerry can and did not notice that a plastic piece on the can's filler tube broke off and went down into my gas tank. Every time I got gas it was just small amounts filling at a time. Have your dealer check out your fuel tank , I will bet that there is something in it that blocks the filler tube when you try and get gas.
jph

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to say mine has never had a filling issue. Knock on Wood !!! Nozzle rests in the filler tube fine and runs till full.

Sponsored

DCOURTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S/1982 Porsche 911SC/1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
Obviously not related, but this is a big issue on the new Toyota Rav4's.

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
I have this issue at Costco gas stations. Almost every time I go to Costco in my Jeep or Challenger, I have to hold the trigger at about 50% the entire time. However, never have this issue at other gas stations.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Strange. When I first got my 2019 JLU, I tried to fill up and had the same problem. Two stations, same result. I took it to the dealer here but could not get anyone to check it out without an appt. We were leaving for a trip so I decided to go and hope for the best. I was sure there was some obstruction in the tank neck.
Thank God, though, when I stopped for gas, it filled with no problem. No problem since then. No idea why this happened. If there was an obstruction, it must have cleared. ???

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
No problem with mine. Fills fine with pumps at maximum flow.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
Mine just started having an issue a couple of weeks ago. 2018 JLUR with roughly 28,000 miles on it. I have found that pushing the nozzle into the filler hard (not toooo hard) seems to work.

Sponsored

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My Wrangler is such a pain to fill up with gas. The nozzle kicks off all the time. This happens at multiple gas stations. Even if I just hold the handle and half squeeze I only get about a gallon at a time before it kicks off.

I don't have this problem but I did just read this article this morning that describes some of the possible causes and how the automatic shutoff works on the gas pump

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-the-gas-pump-keeps-shutting-off-on-you-all-1842036809

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual

the air vent may be plugged up, take it to the dealer

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
:)

With absolutely no ill well intended to this thread's participants.....

….as I read this thread, the comedian in me is envisioning a skit about "premature," well, you all know the word that comes after "premature," where a bunch of guys are sitting in a circle, chairs turned backwards, genuinely trying to help each other out using Wrangler metaphors for a situation where the "dealer" is the....physician, and "multiple stations" are partners, and...well you get it. ;)

Adjusting 'angle, depth, rate of flow' and how "some pumps" are know for this...it seems to have the makings of an SNL skit.

Jokes aside, please do get the dealer to fix a problem where numerous gas pumps are locking up before the tank fills.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/lothar-of-the-hill-people/n9828

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi kevinsmith812, we responded to your PM, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.
Rob
JeepCares
Sponsored