Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you hear that??
dumbest thing i read all day
There is a difference. We have two Jeeps at the shop with front cameras(JL/JT) and two without. All Jeeps are the 2021's and the two with the front cameras have different part number backup cameras than those without. Not only is the picture quality better on those without front cameras but the camera also feels heavier/nicer quality. I cleaned both screens/cameras and lined up the two JT's we have at the shop. Not only is the screen clearer on the one without, the angle seems to be a good bit wider
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera worth it? IMG_5904.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera worth it? IMG_5900.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera worth it? IMG_5901.JPG

Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I wish there was a way to leave it on.
If you go into the uconnect apps you can turn on the backup camera and swap to the front camera while driving down the road. You can do it either by just going to the backup cam in Apps or into "Controls" menu in Apps.

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
It comes to my attention that the Z Automotive front camera claims:

"Cargo camera input is not a Hi-Definition input like the backup camera, so the video quality will not be as good! This is a high-quality standard definition (480i) camera. There is no way to add a high-definition cargo camera input to the JL radio."

I canĀ“t find another camera, not even the oem one, only this.

Do you guys know any other options?

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It comes to my attention that the Z Automotive front camera claims:

"Cargo camera input is not a Hi-Definition input like the backup camera, so the video quality will not be as good! This is a high-quality standard definition (480i) camera. There is no way to add a high-definition cargo camera input to the JL radio."

I canĀ“t find another camera, not even the oem one, only this.

Do you guys know any other options?
Any aftermarket cameras you find will all be 720 at best compared to the 1080 of the OEM one. There was a post on the gladiator forums somewhere of someone piecing together the OEM kit.

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
Any aftermarket cameras you find will all be 720 at best compared to the 1080 of the OEM one. There was a post on the gladiator forums somewhere of someone piecing together the OEM kit.

i canĀ“t find that post, i was hoping thereĀ“s any new option or something easier. I also canĀ“t find the oem camera.

Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a lot, that post is 2 years old... i was hoping for something new in the front camera industry šŸ˜‚
Yea nothing new. If you want an OEM type camera you either missed out ordering it that way, or are going to spend a good chunk of cash and time to install it.

Looks like there are like 50 aftermarket options on amazon but they are all going to be dashcam quality it seems. Best bet is still probably the Tazer one with its integration into the Tazer and Jeep systems.

Edit: Looks like Stinger offroad offers an ok one as well but you would need to buy into their whole ecosystem.

Radio & Camera

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Iā€™ve looked into this also and figured two things, either jeep at some point will release a kit like mopar has for aux switches and it would be a easier install or keep your eyes on local salvage yards, junk yards etc and try to grab one there, I used to have a place called u pull it near me which was awesome to score used parts till they learned demands on jeep parts was extremely more profitable to pull the parts themself and listing them online šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Sponsored