Floor mat removable drain retrofit

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
At some point my JL developed rain related water leak. I have the factory all weather floor mats with the built in drain, but the water was seeping in under the floor mat and carpet and the floor mat drain was plugging the floor drain hole, preventing the water from draining out. Some have cut the drain out of the factory floor mat, converting them to a regular flat floor mat, but I like use the drain in the winter to let the melted snow out.

The Armorlite flooring in my JT comes with removable floor plug/drains, so I ordered some of those to use with my factory all weather floor mats. Now after cutting off the factory drain off, I can convert them from having a drain to regular flat floor mats. When I want a regular flat floor mat, I remove the Armorlite plug/drain and use the flat floor drain plug. I plan on using the drain just for the winter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor mat removable drain retrofit floor mat conversion 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor mat removable drain retrofit floor mat conversion 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor mat removable drain retrofit floor mat conversion 3

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor mat removable drain retrofit floor mat conversion 4
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
What did the top side of the mat look like before the mod? It seems as if you’ll hold water due to the new plug being raised 3/16” or so.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did the top side of the mat look like before the mod? It seems as if you’ll hold water due to the new plug being raised 3/16” or so.
That's a good point, there is a bit of a lip to over come. Once it's installed and fully seated into the floor drain opening it doesn't stick up quite as much. With the Armorlite flooring, the plug/drain sits in a recessed area so the lip is less of an issue.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's pics of the installed floor mat. Pressing the plug/drain in to the floor drain hole creates a low spot in the floor mat, I don't think draining water out will be an issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor mat removable drain retrofit floor mat conversion 5

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor mat removable drain retrofit floor mat conversion 6
Sponsored

Last edited: