All weather floor mats, drain sticking up?

ToothMechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR, Shelby GT350, XJ, S197
So...I just picked up my jeep with all weather mats.

I noticed that that mats are sticking up and aren't fastened down well on the sides closest to the door. On the bottom of the mat it looks like there is a drain. I watched a video that suggested that you were supposed to remove the grommet from the floor, push the drain through, and then put the grommet in the mat...so that you can.....hose out your floor mat inside of your nice car??? Rather than just take it out and hose it off?? Or that it's to allow water to drain out of floorboards if you drive in too deep?

To me this seems crazy. Anybody just cut the drain off of the bottom of the floor mat so it seats down properly? Just curious what people have done.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, '80 CJ-5, former '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I just kept the floor plugs installed, inserted another pair in the mats, and cut the drain protrusions off with a hacksaw. Based on internet research and advice from others, the mat/floor drain system is great in theory, but not necessarily in practice. Should have just bought the Weathertech or Husky mats.

jludave

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
To me this seems crazy. Anybody just cut the drain off of the bottom of the floor mat so it seats down properly?
It's not crazy. The Wrangler is designed to be a utilitarian vehicle that suits the needs of different drivers/people. As you know, the Wrangler already comes with drain holes in the floorboards. The all weather/slush mats are an extension of those. The mats are designed to protect your floorboard area, but still allow the original functionality of the factory drain hole & plug.

When I do a quick clean of my JL, I pull the plug from the floor mat and brush any loose dirt/debris down the hole. Of course if the mats need a deep clean, I remove them.

Advertisement

WheelsASAP

Advertisement