Flash drive issue.

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Hi I have a 3.0 sandisk 128gb drive. My jl only reads one song. All are mp3 format. Is there anything I'm missing here? How can I get this to work? I have a 64 gb and it works fine. I have also heard others using a 128 gb and larger with no issue. Thanks
Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Finally, The price dropped to $49.99 on the Samsung 3.1 256gb low profile usb. I bought two and they arrive Thursday. I plan to dump my entire collection I've bought over the past 35 years onto them. I'll update everyone after the new-years to how they work on the LJ 8.4" compared to my wife's lincoln navigator system. It should also be arriving in the next week.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
For those that want to go with a larger flash drive I did not have success with a 3.1 256gb. It would only recognize about 1/3 of the files. I first tried it as the exFAT format the thumb drive came as and it would not read anything. I reformatted to FAT32 and it recognized down to about my J directory. With that in mind we are probably limited to 64gb. On the bright side It was almost immediate quick to access and very responsive.
Our new Navigator should show soon and I will see how it fairs with the SYNC 3.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
For those that want to go with a larger flash drive I did not have success with a 3.1 256gb. It would only recognize about 1/3 of the files. I first tried it as the exFAT format the thumb drive came as and it would not read anything. I reformatted to FAT32 and it recognized down to about my J directory. With that in mind we are probably limited to 64gb. On the bright side It was almost immediate quick to access and very responsive.
Our new Navigator should show soon and I will see how it fairs with the SYNC 3.

Is there another thread that has more recent info in it?

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I contacted Uconnect support after I picked up my Jeep a few weeks ago because none of the USB slots recognized my 128 gig USB 3.1 flash drive. They said I'd need a USB 3.0 stick not smaller than 4 gig and not greater than 32 gig, and they advised me not to use SanDisk. This is my only complaint about the Jeep so far.

Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I contacted Uconnect support after I picked up my Jeep a few weeks ago because none of the USB slots recognized my 128 gig USB 3.1 flash drive. They said I'd need a USB 3.0 stick not smaller than 4 gig and not greater than 32 gig, and they advised me not to use SanDisk. This is my only complaint about the Jeep so far.
@JDJL

For over two years now, I have been using a Sandisk Cruzer 64GB 2.0 low profile in my JL. Never an issue ...using it..... Other's here are using the same one as I am..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS6QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JDJL

I only use #1 , standard port for the Cruzer. See pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Flash drive issue. JLs Rear Console USB Standard and Charging Ports.PNG

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
@JDJL

I only use #1 , standard port for the Cruzer. See pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Flash drive issue. JLs Rear Console USB Standard and Charging Ports.PNG
OK I just placed the order... should be here tomorrow. I tried the USB port on the dash and in the console. I haven't tried the rear one, but I will. Thanks!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK I just placed the order... should be here tomorrow. I tried the USB port on the dash and in the console. I haven't tried the rear one, but I will. Thanks!
@JDJL

Well, you should see a positive result with the Cruzer.

Oh.... when the Cruzer is inserted into the rear of console #1 port, the protective cover for the ports back there will not close completely. Hardly noticeable but again, will not close completely/tightly.

Do, post here how you make out... Did you buy the 64MB ?

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
@JDJL

Well, you should see a positive result with the Cruzer.

Oh.... when the Cruzer is inserted into the rear of console #1 port, the protective cover for the ports back there will not close completely. Hardly noticeable but again, will not close completely/tightly.

Do, post here how you make out... Did you buy the 64MB ?
Yup I bought the 64GB - the one at the link you provided. I will post back and let you know if it works.

I checked the filing system I used on my Samsung 128GB USB 3.1 (that didn't work) and it uses exFAT. The only other option is NTFS. I'm not sure if the size is the problem, or if it absolutely has to be FAT32. I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Thanks for your help!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup I bought the 64GB - the one at the link you provided. I will post back and let you know if it works.

I checked the filing system I used on my Samsung 128GB USB 3.1 (that didn't work) and it uses exFAT. The only other option is NTFS. I'm not sure if the size is the problem, or if it absolutely has to be FAT32. I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Thanks for your help!
@JDJL

You'd think, you'd be able to format FAT32 in regard to that Samsung.

Format it to Fat32 (need to be Fat32 for JL) and undoubtedly it will work in your JL. Other JL, owner's have reported 128GB USB Drives formatted FAT32 do work in the JL.

Anywy, do come back and let all know here, how you make out.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
This post got me thinking... since I'm not getting that other drive until tomorrow, I tried to reformat my 128 GB USB 3.1 flash drive to a FAT32 file system. Windows won't do it through explorer, or through the command prompt. I had to download a free 3rd party program (which I normally hate to do, but it's called: guiformat.exe) that reformatted it to a FAT32, but let it keep the full 128 GB size. I threw all my songs back on, put it in the Jeep, and it works perfectly. It took a few minutes to index all the songs (~100 GB worth), but so far so good. I have it plugged into the center console.

I'll continue to monitor for a few days to make sure it plays OK. Apparently Uconnect doesn't like exFAT.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This post got me thinking... since I'm not getting that other drive until tomorrow, I tried to reformat my 128 GB USB 3.1 flash drive to a FAT32 file system. Windows won't do it through explorer, or through the command prompt. I had to download a free 3rd party program (which I normally hate to do, but it's called: guiformat.exe) that reformatted it to a FAT32, but let it keep the full 128 GB size. I threw all my songs back on, put it in the Jeep, and it works perfectly. It took a few minutes to index all the songs (~100 GB worth), but so far so good. I have it plugged into the center console.

I'll continue to monitor for a few days to make sure it plays OK. Apparently Uconnect doesn't like exFAT.
@JDJL

Told you so... 8-)

Glad you took the time and energy to get that Samsung formatted Fat32. Good job!

I have no doubt at all that your Samsung will keep working in your JL.

Yes, UConnect only wants to deal / will deal with FAT32.
Sponsored