Sponsored

Flapping Sound From Front Passenger Side (AUS)

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
Hi all,

My 2020 JLUR went in for a towbar to be fitted at an aftermarket place 2 weeks ago. Since it came back there's now a flapping noise coming from, what I suspect, is the wheel arch liner from where it's been pulled to accommodate wiring. It only happens >50kph, but really gets quite loud.

I've had a look and the front passenger (RHD) arch liner appears significantly flimsier / looser than the driver side.

I've tried to stabilise some areas temporarily with duct tape to try and figure out what piece is causing the problem, but I am yet to find the sweet spot.

My question is - have any of you guys had this happen and been able to figure out how to stabilise it? I've seen reports that the JT had some issues, but can't seem to find too much on the JL.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I had a towbar installed by my dealer at the time I bought it. No issues for me.

Out of interest, where did he install your rear number plate?

OP
OP
JLDiablo

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
I had a towbar installed by my dealer at the time I bought it. No issues for me.

Out of interest, where did he install your rear number plate?
It was a Hayman Reece towbar and it comes with a flip up number plate bracket. So the rear plate is still in the original factory placement, just on a flip up plate.

redgum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 3.6 Unlimited Rubicon, WJ 2.7 diesel Laredo
I've had my wheel arch liner replaced under warranty for the same reason. It was flapping at speeds above 50km/h and then rubbing on the tyre.

Mine lost the little xmas tree holder at the front, so I zip tied it back until the new part came in.

OP
OP
JLDiablo

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
I've had my wheel arch liner replaced under warranty for the same reason. It was flapping at speeds above 50km/h and then rubbing on the tyre.

Mine lost the little xmas tree holder at the front, so I zip tied it back until the new part came in.
Thanks for the reply!

Where was the holder that broke in your case? I’m struggling to identify where securing it will help at the moment. It just looks like a patchwork of duct tape 🤣

Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
yup happened to mine as well.

came loose and rubbed on the tyre. Passenger wheel well, front lower left part came off alltogether.

I bought steel inner fenders to change it out, which i havent installed in well over a year haha.. one day... As i did a bandaid fixed which sorted it out 100%

I drilled 2 holes in the flappy bit, then got a long zip tie and tied it to whatever i could. Sound is gone and has been gone for well over a year =)

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Hi all,

My 2020 JLUR went in for a towbar to be fitted at an aftermarket place 2 weeks ago. Since it came back there's now a flapping noise coming from, what I suspect, is the wheel arch liner from where it's been pulled to accommodate wiring. It only happens >50kph, but really gets quite loud.

I've had a look and the front passenger (RHD) arch liner appears significantly flimsier / looser than the driver side.

I've tried to stabilise some areas temporarily with duct tape to try and figure out what piece is causing the problem, but I am yet to find the sweet spot.

My question is - have any of you guys had this happen and been able to figure out how to stabilise it? I've seen reports that the JT had some issues, but can't seem to find too much on the JL.

Any help would be appreciated.
I assume you have LED taillights and they needed to pick up a source from the battery to power the ECU for the trailer harness. Chances are they removed the front passenger fender to make access easy. Not really necessary, but if they did remove it, that is a couple of screws and a dozen or so clips around the fender. Chances are they broke a few getting the fender off. Just a guess.

Check this site for more details
https://www.quadratec.com/c/video/how-remove-your-jeep-wrangler-jl-fender-flares

Last edited:

redgum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where was the holder that broke in your case? I’m struggling to identify where securing it will help at the moment. It just looks like a patchwork of duct tape 🤣
It was up the front, and I made a hole to get it to stay in place. If it is a patchwork of duct tape then it might be too far gone!

OP
OP
JLDiablo

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
It was up the front, and I made a hole to get it to stay in place. If it is a patchwork of duct tape then it might be too far gone!
Thanks all. It was me trying the duct tape.

I’m not convinced it’s the fender itself as this seems as solid as the drivers side. There really isn’t any play in the fender itself. The liner however, especially on the rear portion seems to have excessive play in it. Maybe upgrading to a more solid liner wouldn’t be the worst.

OP
OP
JLDiablo

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
So for anyone finding this thread in the future, I wanted to close the loop.

The flapping sound was not coming from the fender liner. Despite the play and the noise associated with the flap, it was a red herring.

The culprit was a badly scalloped BFG KM2 tyre. Only on the front passenger side, and only noticeable since the service. So the question is: did the service tech rotate an already scalloped tyre to the front passenger OR has the alignment been thrown out and scalloping developed since?

IMG_0899.jpg

Sponsored

redgum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many km have you done?
And did you rotate the tyres yourself?
The front passenger side appears to get the most wear...

OP
OP
JLDiablo

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
How many km have you done?
And did you rotate the tyres yourself?
The front passenger side appears to get the most wear...
Tyres were rotated at service (according to the sheet), and now it's done 22,000kms, mostly sealed roads. Having done some more reading around will probably look to rotate them every 5,000kms or so to even out the wear.

Ti0G

First Name
Gustavo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL MY2021
So for anyone finding this thread in the future, I wanted to close the loop.

The flapping sound was not coming from the fender liner. Despite the play and the noise associated with the flap, it was a red herring.

The culprit was a badly scalloped BFG KM2 tyre. Only on the front passenger side, and only noticeable since the service. So the question is: did the service tech rotate an already scalloped tyre to the front passenger OR has the alignment been thrown out and scalloping developed since?

Jeep Wrangler JL Flapping Sound From Front Passenger Side (AUS) IMG_0899
Hi Man,
I have the exact same issue, when i took it to the 20k kms service, they found the FLH tyre was scalloping. they rotate the wheels and now i after a couple of weeks i started having issues in 2 tyres instead of one. How did you fix your issue?

OP
OP
JLDiablo

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
It’s funny you bring this thread back up.
My short term fix was to rotate the spare in. Now I’m at 35k and my front right tyre has now scalloped something dreadful.

I went back and forwards but took the plunge and I’ve just ordered myself a set of Cooper STMaxx’s and I’m abandoning the KM2.

When I get the new ones on, I’m getting the tracking and alignment checked.

Then I’ll be due the 40k service 🤣

Ti0G

First Name
Gustavo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL MY2021
It’s funny you bring this thread back up.
My short term fix was to rotate the spare in. Now I’m at 35k and my front right tyre has now scalloped something dreadful.

I went back and forwards but took the plunge and I’ve just ordered myself a set of Cooper STMaxx’s and I’m abandoning the KM2.

When I get the new ones on, I’m getting the tracking and alignment checked.

Then I’ll be due the 40k service 🤣
Thanks fro the reply, pretty much they suggested to stop running on mud tyres in the city, so i guess i'll have to go with all terrain ones.

Once again thanks for replying!
Sponsored