First Time Plasti Dipper

Southers313

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Any recommendations on which type of Plasti Dip to opt for when it comes to hitting my front and rear Rubicon tow hooks? I’m seeing all kinds of different products online - from Blaze, Standard and Luxury.

Originally I was thinking Lime Green which I’m thinking would be close to Mojito - but now considering just gloss black. And is taping off the surrounding area with plastic sufficient preparation?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

BCassels

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendations on which type of Plasti Dip to opt for when it comes to hitting my front and rear Rubicon tow hooks? I’m seeing all kinds of different products online - from Blaze, Standard and Luxury.

Originally I was thinking Lime Green which I’m thinking would be close to Mojito - but now considering just gloss black. And is taping off the surrounding area with plastic sufficient preparation?

Thanks in advance!
I used Performix plasti dip to do my Jeep logos and keyholes. It worked really well. I taped around the logos and then taped some scrap paper I had around it. It's not the end of the world if you do overspray but takes a while to get it off. Patience is the key and make sure you are holding the can far enough away or you will get bubbles.

OP
OP
Southers313

Southers313

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used Performix plasti dip to do my Jeep logos and keyholes. It worked really well. I taped around the logos and then taped some scrap paper I had around it. It's not the end of the world if you do overspray but takes a while to get it off. Patience is the key and make sure you are holding the can far enough away or you will get bubbles.
Thanks so much! Based on your user pic - it looks like we have a very similar Granite JL with Fuel Beasts! :rock:

BCassels

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much! Based on your user pic - it looks like we have a very similar Granite JL with Fuel Beasts! :rock:
Thats awesome! Here’s a pic of the newly painted logos. It took about 4 coats to get to a point where I was happy with it. Only 1 redo was required when I got impatient and did a 2nd coat too soon after the 1st. Luckily it peels right off so if you do make a mistake it’s not that big of a deal.

FA37BB04-C611-456F-8D62-2CEAB66E16B0.jpeg

OP
OP
Southers313

Southers313

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats awesome! Here’s a pic of the newly painted logos. It took about 4 coats to get to a point where I was happy with it. Only 1 redo was required when I got impatient and did a 2nd coat too soon after the 1st. Luckily it peels right off so if you do make a mistake it’s not that big of a deal.

FA37BB04-C611-456F-8D62-2CEAB66E16B0.jpeg
So how do you remove the excess Plasti Dip from the fine detailed areas like inside the lettering? Just like a toothpick or something?

Thanks again - sorry for the nubish questions!

Sponsored

BCassels

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So how do you remove the excess Plasti Dip from the fine detailed areas like inside the lettering? Just like a toothpick or something?

Thanks again - sorry for the nubish questions!
No worries! I’m a super noob too so all the info I have was found in YouTube videos or here lol. I used a toothpick and just lightly scratched it until I was able to get underneath the plastidip then I just pulled it out. There were a couple small pieces that stuck so I used some tweezers to pull those out.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
When I did my emblems I used Duplicolor Custom Wrap since it's available in a high gloss. I've used Plastidip on other projects but prefer the gloss finish, it's easier to clean and doesn't have that rubbery texture.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/custom-wrap-automotive-removable-paint-wet-look/
I wish I had masked off the area around the hinges as it was a PITA to remove the overspray in areas that I couldn't get to w/ a small rag, including the lower front fender area were it meets the body.

100_4050.JPG

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Not doing this project but a huge thin plastic drop cloth is like 99cents at Lowe’s. Cut a hole large enough for the project and drape it over the car. Should make overspray a non-issue.

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
If you want a glossy finish, there's the plastidip glossifier that you can get.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Multiple thin coats is the key. Most over spray is easy to peel off. One of these days I am going to do the silver parts of my wheels in red. Don't even have to remove them. Just drape plastic bag over the brakes. Over spray on tires peels off super easy.
Sponsored