Sponsored

First-Time DIY Bumper & Winch Install: Venator Stubby + SB XRC Gen3

lexadar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2-Door 80th Anniversary
Hey all, I hadn't come across any pictures/videos of the stubby version Venator bumper being installed, so here are some of mine + some thoughts/insights:
Jeep Wrangler JL First-Time DIY Bumper & Winch Install: Venator Stubby + SB XRC Gen3 A9F0F2E3-349E-41F4-B9F0-124A10520F32

(am pretty pumped about getting this done myself - in all seriousness I have never even changed a tire before... never had to!)

• I read quite a few comments & reviews that noted this bumper (full width) being difficult or a battle to instal
    • Personally, it seemed quite forgiving as long as everything is bolted on as loose as possible (as per the instructions), keeping in mind my zero experience with anything like this.
    • None of the parts required any modification/grinding/bending etc
  • The most importantthing to note is that with at least this winch (Smittybilt XRC Gen3 9.5k), there is basically no room between the grille and the body of the winch.
    • This almost had me thinking it wasn't going to work at all.. but I persevered
      • Choosing to place the solenoid over the motor vs in the center seems essential with this bumper/winch
      • I opted to wedge a piece of foam in between the edge of the winch and the grille before leveraging the winch in to get the bolts through the winch plate and threaded.
      • It took a few attempts with different wire/lead orientations before I could slip them under the bottom of the grille and have the winch close enough to make an attempt at securing it.
  • This honestly took me about 6 hours total, by myself (of course a lot of it spent watching youtube videos & re-reading instructions)
Jeep Wrangler JL First-Time DIY Bumper & Winch Install: Venator Stubby + SB XRC Gen3 IMG_8804

Jeep Wrangler JL First-Time DIY Bumper & Winch Install: Venator Stubby + SB XRC Gen3 IMG_8807

Jeep Wrangler JL First-Time DIY Bumper & Winch Install: Venator Stubby + SB XRC Gen3 IMG_8810

Jeep Wrangler JL First-Time DIY Bumper & Winch Install: Venator Stubby + SB XRC Gen3 IMG_8831

IMG_9001.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
lexadar

lexadar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2-Door 80th Anniversary
I finally received the Overrider Bar which could have came with the bumper, but I had found one without it that could get to me much quicker.

Jeep Wrangler JL First-Time DIY Bumper & Winch Install: Venator Stubby + SB XRC Gen3 663F3A7F-FCF1-4F99-98B8-F4D3CE123A2C

This completes the install/look I was going for with a front bumper - the overrider bar required a specific “key” style wrench (torx) to tighten it, a typical socket/wrench (even with a knuckle) did not have enough room inside the bar to get in to the bolt.

a solution to this might be to remove your grille? I didn’t go this route however I could have them use that room to work with the initial bumper install.

Last edited: