First Service question?

Shwaman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
I couldn't find anything on the threads that addresses this, so apologies if there is something.

have had my new JL Sahara Unlimited since April, and I do love it, although, i barely drive, travel for work, and take the train to the airport, so that leaves me with about 3800 KM (about 2400 Miles) in 7 months. The dealership has been calling and emailing me several times over the past few months to come in for my servicing, but my oil life indicator is still showing 70%... I know I don't want to leave it too long time wise despite the mileage, but what is the best way to do this?

any mechanic types that have input? Do I go solely on the oil life indicator? or some combo of mileage and time?

I used to take my car in every 5000 KM, now I am thinking the oil life indicator or 8 months...any input?

I know the dealer just wants my $$$ . lol

as a side note, I also have had issues lately with the USB-C outlet not working, which is not allowing Apple Carplay now, anyone else experience that?
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have always done my first oil change early at 1,000 miles and every 5,000 miles afterwards. I have multiple vehicles, so I only drive each about 5,000 miles a year. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive my vehicles up to 8,000 miles with a good quality synthetic oil. I just don’t want to let the same Oil in my vehicle for more than a year.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I am wondering this too as well. Is there any other required service other than the first 5,000 mile oil change and all the stuff that comes with it? I’m at about 3,500 miles now.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering this too as well. Is there any other required service other than the first 5,000 mile oil change and all the stuff that comes with it? I’m at about 3,500 miles now.
Here’s the maintenance schedule from the manual. Outside of oil changes and tire rotation, they don’t suggest anything before 20,000 miles / 32,000 km, and even then it’s just an air filter replacement and several inspections.

78970C77-712D-4087-AD79-E195180EBE4D.png
AE888D5A-975B-47D6-9811-2B9D18380B92.jpeg

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Here’s the maintenance schedule from the manual. Outside of oil changes and tire rotation, they don’t suggest anything before 20,000 miles / 32,000 km, and even then it’s just an air filter replacement and several inspectors.
Awesome, thanks!

Sponsored

farandawaywes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Awesome, thanks!
From the manual just before the schedule: NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Any lightly used motor should get an oil change after a year, regardless of how much it was used in that year. Oil degrades over time, and accumulated condensation becomes a larger concern when the motor isn't burning it off with regular use. Extended periods of inactivity is another plus of synthetic oil. It bonds to metal parts on a molecular level, creating a protective film. Dino oil "dries" from the surface of internal engine parts. And it doesn't at all take long for it to happen. The result of not having that protective oil film and unavoidable condensation buildup is surface rust spots on critical components, which can be quite abrasive.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Any lightly used motor should get an oil change after a year, regardless of how much it was used in that year. Oil degrades over time, and accumulated condensation becomes a larger concern when the motor isn't burning it off with regular use. Extended periods of inactivity is another plus of synthetic oil. It bonds to metal parts on a molecular level, creating a protective film. Dino oil "dries" from the surface of internal engine parts. And it doesn't at all take long for it to happen. The result of not having that protective oil film and unavoidable condensation buildup is surface rust spots on critical components, which can be quite abrasive.
Wow, those are quite a few spectacular claims. Are you a tribologist? Where are you getting this information? I've never heard of oil degrading over any reasonable length of time (a few years). Never, ever heard of any of these claims of synthetic oils bonding to metals nor any evidence that surface rust would appear on any lubricated surface of an ICE over a timescale of less than several years.

I agree yearly changes should be the longest you stretch oil - mostly because that's what the manual says and I like warranties - but all the other claims seem... extraordinary.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you routinely drive it less than 10K miles a year, change the oil annually. Do it on your birthday or a holiday or some memorable date so you don’t forget. More frequently isn’t necessary.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, those are quite a few spectacular claims. Are you a tribologist? Where are you getting this information? I've never heard of oil degrading over any reasonable length of time (a few years). Never, ever heard of any of these claims of synthetic oils bonding to metals nor any evidence that surface rust would appear on any lubricated surface of an ICE over a timescale of less than several years.

I agree yearly changes should be the longest you stretch oil - mostly because that's what the manual says and I like warranties - but all the other claims seem... extraordinary.
Not specifically. Born and raised in heavy equipment and industrial repair. Machining, parts and tooling prototyping, various other peripheral fields.

I post what I've seen and dealt with over time. I'm not one of the many self proclaimed experts that saw a youtube video or an internet article, and come here to regurgitate.

If you don't want to believe that fossil oil continues to degrade from oxidization, than why would you suppose it should be changed at least once a year?

You needn't answer that. I'm not asking because I was guessing and now want confirmation. What I'm really curious about, is your back ground. What is your current trade, and skill set?

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Not specifically. Born and raised in heavy equipment and industrial repair. Machining, parts and tooling prototyping, various other peripheral fields.

I post what I've seen and dealt with over time. I'm not one of the many self proclaimed experts that saw a youtube video or an internet article, and come here to regurgitate.

If you don't want to believe that fossil oil continues to degrade from oxidization, than why would you suppose it should be changed at least once a year?

You needn't answer that. I'm not asking because I was guessing and now want confirmation. What I'm really curious about, is your back ground. What is your current trade, and skill set?
Good point on the oxidation which is why the powers that be require yearly changes. I'm just skeptical that it happens at any significant rate at room temp. The breakdown and wear occurs during hot temps at high pressures seen during engine operations, not sitting in the oil reservoir.

I'm even more skeptical on the synthetic-clinging-to-parts vs. dino oils. Synthetics aren't magic, they're just made up of far more consistent and refined molecules than conventional. Nothing that would cause them to cling to parts. Perhaps there's a slight difference in the polarization of the synthetic oil base than conventional but does that really make a difference over a timescale of say, 12-16 hours (like your vehicle sitting overnight) or months (if it sits for the winter). If you've got actual data I'd love to see it and learn something new.

As for my experience, I'm an aerospace systems engineer with 10 years of experience. My skills are essentially knowing a little about a lot of different things and asking the right questions to the right people at the right time. And having a healthy skepticism for information/statements that don't fit in my own mental models of how things work. I don't claim to know everything and am always trying to learn more. When confronted with information that doesn't seem right, it's quite literally my job to ask questions to understand why there is a disconnect.
Sponsored