First Dealer Service visit is today.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Unfortunately not. My asked my advisor and he mentioned something was a little loose. I'm guessing it was a relay or something on the battery. I had no issues for the first 5000 miles. I did just notice something. I have LoJack installed and it lets you know your voltage from the app. I was normally at 14.4 but now I'm at 14.6 resting and not running.
That’s not possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Walker Texas Wrangler

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Btw, you can cycle through the dash messages if you want more info on why ESS is not ready.
I would simply get a "not ready". But I would get messages like "drivers seatbelt not connected" or whatever. But in cases where it should work.......nothing but "not ready". That's what prompted me to take it in for service. Never even got the battery is charging message.

OP
OP
Walker Texas Wrangler

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just to update for posterity. The start/stop worked well for a couple days. But now seems to take longer for the "start/stop ready" to show up. Used to be active with only a short trip, but now I have to drive around quite a bit longer for it to kick in. And I still just get the "not ready" message a lot with no real reason why. But it works so I'm leaving it alone. Guess the batteries lose enough juice after only 6 months that it doesn't trigger as easy. I'm not a huge start/stop fan anyway, just don't want to get stranded and need a tow. Trying to be preventive.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds to me like they should have just replaced the batteries. Not sure where you’re located, but it may also be a result of the colder temps now that it’s winter.

you haven’t mentioned the paint issues since your original post, but wanted to just say that unless you see corrosion, I wouldn’t have them mess with the paint. I’ve seen a lot of dealers screw up the paint worse when they fix it. I’ve got a black jeep and have missed/light spots all over (around hinges, in the door jams, around the tub rail) and am just leaving it be.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just to update for posterity. The start/stop worked well for a couple days. But now seems to take longer for the "start/stop ready" to show up. Used to be active with only a short trip, but now I have to drive around quite a bit longer for it to kick in. And I still just get the "not ready" message a lot with no real reason why. But it works so I'm leaving it alone. Guess the batteries lose enough juice after only 6 months that it doesn't trigger as easy. I'm not a huge start/stop fan anyway, just don't want to get stranded and need a tow. Trying to be preventive.
Sorry I haven’t read all 20 posts: have you replaced the batteries yet? It doesn’t get any more preventative than that.

The OE batteries are not very good. Judging by posts on here, they last 3 years from the day the Jeep rolls out of the plant. For instance, my Jeep sat unsold at the dealership for 18 months; I needed to replace the batteries at 18 months from purchase —i.e., right at 3 years.

I see you own a 2021, but given how shitty the OE batteries are, it wouldn’t be surprised if they start acting up when the weather gets cold.

The problem with weak batteries is that they start progressively producing seemingly-unrelated electronic gremlins —e.g., backup camera goes blank one day and comes back the next, the transfer case shifts into a different mode on its own, etc.

I was getting a dozen different mysterious issues during the two months before I replaced the battery. They all went away thereafter.

OP
OP
Walker Texas Wrangler

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It sounds to me like they should have just replaced the batteries. Not sure where you’re located, but it may also be a result of the colder temps now that it’s winter.

you haven’t mentioned the paint issues since your original post, but wanted to just say that unless you see corrosion, I wouldn’t have them mess with the paint. I’ve seen a lot of dealers screw up the paint worse when they fix it. I’ve got a black jeep and have missed/light spots all over (around hinges, in the door jams, around the tub rail) and am just leaving it be.
Yeah, I was hoping they would just replace the batteries, but I'm guessing that since it hasn't thrown any codes yet. They probably aren't allowed to.

This particular dealership doesn't have a body shop, so they couldn't address the paint. But the dealership where I bought it does. I may address it with them further down the line if I see bubbling. I think you're right about leaving it alone for now.

OP
OP
Walker Texas Wrangler

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sorry I haven’t read all 20 posts: have you replaced the batteries yet? It doesn’t get any more preventative than that.

The OE batteries are not very good. Judging by posts on here, they last 3 years from the day the Jeep rolls out of the plant. For instance, my Jeep sat unsold at the dealership for 18 months; I needed to replace the batteries at 18 months from purchase —i.e., right at 3 years.

I see you own a 2021, but given how shitty the OE batteries are, it wouldn’t be surprised if they start acting up when the weather gets cold.

The problem with weak batteries is that they start progressively producing seemingly-unrelated electronic gremlins —e.g., backup camera goes blank one day and comes back the next, the transfer case shifts into a different mode on its own, etc.

I was getting a dozen different mysterious issues during the two months before I replaced the battery. They all went away thereafter.
Haven't replaced the batteries yet. Build date was Jan 2021 and I bought it in March 2021, so they should be in good shape still. The problems did start when the weather got colder. I'm in SE Texas so I wouldn't say it got cold. LOL. I haven't thrown any codes yet and I'm guessing when I do, the dealership will replace them under warranty. If they were a couple years old, I would just do it myself. I've seen too many stories of folks getting stranded and having to be towed in for the batteries. The aux is still charging, but it's taking longer than I think it should. That's why I also want to make sure it's not something else before just throwing batteries at it and have them get problems too. Time will tell I guess.
Sponsored