Sponsored

First Report on 6 Speed--Drove it Home!!

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for posting that video, Dan W! Man those throws look short and crisp compared to the JK, this seems like it's an awesome transmission! The JK 6-speed was trash. Popping into neutral on rough terrain, and fighting to keep it in reverse. I don't really like the JK auto either. This new JL 6-speed seems like the way to go!

I never really understood the "driving in traffic with a manual is annoying" thing, I think its fine. I know I'm not alone in that.
Unless you live in LA. I'm from central NJ- shore area (horrible traffic) and frequent the cities (NY+Philly) Heck, I've been to almost every major US city, and LA hands down has to have the worst traffic in the country. Even driving in an automatic sucks there. I have a lot of respect for LA natives, your patience must be through the roof.
Sponsored

yeoman18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On Order JLU Sahara GCM
Dan - I have a question. Yesterday I sat in an Automatic JLU on the dealer lot (it was unlocked on a Sunday), and it seemed that the arm rest sat a little high to make it comfortable for shifting. Again this was an automatic. On the 6 speed, is the stick taller than the automatic shifter. In other words, is it comfortable for you to rest your arm on the center console /arm rest, and shift? Thanks!

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thanks for posting that video, Dan W! Man those throws look short and crisp compared to the JK, this seems like it's an awesome transmission! The JK 6-speed was trash. Popping into neutral on rough terrain, and fighting to keep it in reverse. I don't really like the JK auto either. This new JL 6-speed seems like the way to go!

I never really understood the "driving in traffic with a manual is annoying" thing, I think its fine. I know I'm not alone in that.
Unless you live in LA. I'm from central NJ- shore area (horrible traffic) and frequent the cities (NY+Philly) Heck, I've been to almost every major US city, and LA hands down has to have the worst traffic in the country. Even driving in an automatic sucks there. I have a lot of respect for LA natives, your patience must be through the roof.
Being from LA I must agree with you. Been to NY, and NJ and not as bad.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
yeah it was fun/ go down a narrow lane of cars on both sides the side pipes roaring and it would set off every alarm on the parked cars solid too. took it out to the highway 111 south of indio put it on the center 2 lanes and ran it upto 155 before I thought what the H.... am i doing. the trans was fine the clutch really hard to push
Had a 77 CJ5 with the 304 V8 back in the 80's. Also had side pipes, headers and a lift on 32's. Imagine having one of those pipes hanging out the side at window level to most cars........ it was loud, very loud. Bought it used from a guy out in Kitchener, sent it to a buddy out in Carstairs Alberta not sure what happened to it. Here's an old Polaroid before I put on the side pipes.
24968626367_37e3858cd8_c.jpg

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
Ok, I'm not spending much time here until later, but here is the initial impression of Red Rubi....This thing is GREAT! The clutch is just fine. Those reporters at Motor Trend have forgotten how to drive a clutch. It does have very quick engagement, but I've driven clutches like this before and I just don't see the issue. My initial impression is that it is just fine. Different from the JK, but just fine. The shifter itself feels amazing. It is smooth and the gates are very easy to find. I did make my first mistake, though. I put it into 6th instead of reverse, forgetting reverse is now in the upper left.

Right now I've got sensory overload, just from the red paint! All the features and the infotainment are going to take getting used to. I'm accustomed to the simplicity of my JK.

I got 19.8 mpg on the way home on a route that would have gotten about 17.5 on my JK. Those numbers are indicated. My JK is almost 1mpg optimistic, so I'm assuming this one is, too. If it is not, then it is even better. I can't wait to see what it gets when the engine is broken in.

I'm probably still going to lift it and put 35's on it, but I think I could be perfectly happy with it as-is.

I'll report back late tonight. Gotta eat and go break this bad boy in!
Motor Trend specifically said they were driving preproduction models and that they hoped the clutch issue would be fixed by the time final production models rolled out, which is a very valid concern and props for them to drawing attention to it. I don't think it is fair at all to say the Motor Trend guys "forgot" how to drive a manual.

Sponsored

Closure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion tc
Motor Trend specifically said they were driving preproduction models and that they hoped the clutch issue would be fixed by the time final production models rolled out, which is a very valid concern and props for them to drawing attention to it. I don't think it is fair at all to say the Motor Trend guys "forgot" how to drive a manual.
He said in a follow up video almost exactly what you said and mentioned he was mostly just poking at them.

Direwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The gearing is interesting, too. First gear is like a granny. This thing could probably pull 37's with little issue. Second gear is only a little taller. 5th gear feels like overdrive, and 6th....well, I didn't even get into sixth, except when I accidentally thought it was reverse. (JK habit) Fourth to fifth seems like a pretty good gap between ratios. Remember, I topped out at 50mph, so no need for it. I'd almost say I won't be looking for 6th until I hit highway cruising speed around 65mph. I'll test this tomorrow.
Awesome! Thanks for the write-up and videos. How much of a granny do you find 1st gear? Like are you shifting into 2nd well below 10mph during everyday driving? Do you think it could start out in 2nd gear on level ground without too much clutch slip? Thanks!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan - I have a question. Yesterday I sat in an Automatic JLU on the dealer lot (it was unlocked on a Sunday), and it seemed that the arm rest sat a little high to make it comfortable for shifting. Again this was an automatic. On the 6 speed, is the stick taller than the automatic shifter. In other words, is it comfortable for you to rest your arm on the center console /arm rest, and shift? Thanks!
The stick definitely looks taller on the manual, and for me, the height of the console is just spot-on perfect! I've got about 280 miles behind the wheel now, and I'm simply smitten with it. I wouldn't know how to improve it, honestly. The whole driving position is perfect. I'm 6'5" tall, too. Btw, for you tall guys out there, I've got more headroom than my JK, easily.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, other journalists that drove the same Jeep said it was great. They sound soft to me, especially if they can't take some good natured ribbing, which they often dish out, themselves. (I think they can) I was kidding with them. In the second video, I also acknowledged that they were off-roading in steep mountains. My guess is that they'd chuckle if they saw that, and wouldn't take me too seriously. I'll read their article again and see where they said it was a preproduction vehicle. I must have missed that.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! Thanks for the write-up and videos. How much of a granny do you find 1st gear? Like are you shifting into 2nd well below 10mph during everyday driving? Do you think it could start out in 2nd gear on level ground without too much clutch slip? Thanks!
I'll have to check the speeds, but that first gear is really short, which I love. I've no doubt it will pull 35's, with ease. I'd bet it could easily start in 2nd gear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I've gotten used to the "shifter shake" over the years, never really thought about til now. Having driven many jeeps and trucks i'm just used to it. Never have i ever had a grind as a result of the way i shift. sounds like the new shifter will feel more like a sports car type than a truck type. should make for much smoother shifting. cant wait to drive one :)
I think you'll love it. I loved it when I first drove it off the lot. It just gets better and better, as I become more comfortable with it. This thing is really just a hoot to drive. If I knew it was this good, I'd have even paid for it as an option, if the auto was standard.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I think you'll love it. I loved it when I first drove it off the lot. It just gets better and better, as I become more comfortable with it. This thing is really just a hoot to drive. If I knew it was this good, I'd have even paid for it as an option, if the auto was standard.
Manual as an option is probably in the books for the next Wrangler (if they even still make manuals by then )

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Hey Dan weird request but if you could get a good picture of the console area with the shifter and cup holders?
Not to steal Dan's thunder...but he prolly wants to drive and get off the forums anyway!

Not sure if thats the angle...bith JLU...first is fabric rubi, second tan sahara. Best ive got.

20180120_122234.jpg

20180113_151536.jpg

17FreedomChief

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Freedom Edition in Chief
Not to steal Dan's thunder...but he prolly wants to drive and get off the forums anyway!

Not sure if thats the angle...bith JLU...first is fabric rubi, second tan sahara. Best ive got.

20180120_122234.jpg

20180113_151536.jpg
Thanks for the pics I’ve seen those of the Auto. I’m asking specifically about the manual transmission as it is slightly different between the two in the JK was curious as the the clearance in the JL manual specifically in 6th gear which was always a struggle in the JK

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pics I’ve seen those of the Auto. I’m asking specifically about the manual transmission as it is slightly different between the two in the JK was curious as the the clearance in the JL manual specifically in 6th gear which was always a struggle in the JK
Does this angle help? If not, let me know what angle you would like.
dDqG28x.jpg
Sponsored