Sponsored

Fire Extinguisher...Element or ColdFire?

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
I've got an Element E50 in my Jeep.

The Cold Fire extinguisher looks interesting because of its size and price, but I couldn't find any information regarding the discharge time for any of the sizes they offer.

The Element E50 has a discharge time of 50 seconds, that's 4 times longer than a traditional 5 lb fire extinguisher, and the larger Element E100 has a discharge time of 100 seconds.

IMG_20200726_200928.jpg

IMG_20200728_165322.jpg
In addition to the 50/100 second times, Element does not freeze. The ColdFire is only good to -20oC in premix. If you have the facility to bulk fill, then the make a -60oC version but that is not reasonable for individual use.

For me, I plan to get an Element 50 for each car as we are in Northern Alberta and in winter, it gets below -20oC many times over the winter and don't want my investment to freeze. And yes, my vehicles do at times get left out in the cold when we are travelling to the Rocky Mountains...sigh...lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered an Element E50. Not that cheap at $79 shipped, but well worth it for the peace of mind. :like:

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I've got three Element E50s. One for the Jeep, one for the Raptor, and one in my recovery bag. I always take my recovery bag in the vehicle that is going off roading which always gives me a spare.

Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I've got an E50 alongside each seat in Quadratec flashlight holders.

E50.JPG

E502.JPG
Not impressed with the Element. I was curious so I bought one to try. For training at my fire company recently we set up a sedan with an engine compartment fire. The hood was purposely left down since that it how we usually find them. I tried to put the fire out with it, but was unable to. Mind you I was in full gear with SCBA, so I was able to approach a lot closer than soneone would be able to in street clothes. Also, it seems to be an exothermic reaction, because when I tried to put it in the gap between the hood and the headlight, it started to melt the headlight. I‘ll post a link to the video we took once it’s on YouTube.

Update: Here’s the link

Last edited:

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
Am I the only person who looks at these rollbar-mounted fire extinguishers and thinks "in a 20g crash, that will become a missile and take my head off"?

Serious question, since I bought a fire extinguisher and rollbar mount, and haven't put it on due to this concern.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Not impressed with the Element. I was curious so I bought one to try. For training at my fire company recently we set up a sedan with an engine compartment fire. The hood was purposely left down since that it how we usually find them. I tried to put the fire out with it, but was unable to. Mind you I was in full gear with SCBA, so I was able to approach a lot closer than soneone would be able to in street clothes. Also, it seems to be an exothermic reaction, because when I tried to put it in the gap between the hood and the headlight, it started to melt the headlight. I‘ll post a link to the video we took once it’s on YouTube.

Update: Here’s the link

I have been considering the Element over a traditional fire extinguisher but I am no expert. Would a traditional fire extinguisher have performed better in the same situation? (Other than not having an exothermic reaction obviously)

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I have been considering the Element over a traditional fire extinguisher but I am no expert. Would a traditional fire extinguisher have performed better in the same situation? (Other than not having an exothermic reaction obviously)
After the Element ran out, we then turned to 2 5lb Dry Chem extinguishers. The fire was still going so we then went with a hose line from our truck. Finally it took prying the hood open with tools to completely put it out. Personally, I carry nothing smaller than a 5lb Dry Chem. I keep it in the back with my fire gear. Mainly have it for accidents where the vehicle is on fire and someone is still in the vehicle. The thing to remember with an engine compartment fire when you are driving is that you usually don't notice it until the smoke or fire starts showing and then you pull over. By that time it has a good start and let's face it most people won't remember to pull the hood latch (if it even still works) before they get out. Safety of the driver and passengers should be paramount, so get away from the car to a place of safety and then call 911. I realize it would be a different story if you are offroading and it starts. Just remember 2 experienced firefighters in full gear used 2 5lb ABC Dry Chem and the fire was still burning when the extinguishers ran out during our training. The other thing to consider is that we were able to get very close due to our gear and SCBA. In street clothes you would likely get burned getting as close as we were.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
After the Element ran out, we then turned to 2 5lb Dry Chem extinguishers. The fire was still going so we then went with a hose line from our truck. Finally it took prying the hood open with tools to completely put it out. Personally, I carry nothing smaller than a 5lb Dry Chem. I keep it in the back with my fire gear. Mainly have it for accidents where the vehicle is on fire and someone is still in the vehicle. The thing to remember with an engine compartment fire when you are driving is that you usually don't notice it until the smoke or fire starts showing and then you pull over. By that time it has a good start and let's face it most people won't remember to pull the hood latch (if it even still works) before they get out. Safety of the driver and passengers should be paramount, so get away from the car to a place of safety and then call 911. I realize it would be a different story if you are offroading and it starts. Just remember 2 experienced firefighters in full gear used 2 5lb ABC Dry Chem and the fire was still burning when the extinguishers ran out during our training. The other thing to consider is that we were able to get very close due to our gear and SCBA. In street clothes you would likely get burned getting as close as we were.
If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like an average person is screwed either way if an engine fire breaks out and you catch it too late. Is there something you could recommend in such a situation?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like an average person is screwed either way if an engine fire breaks out and you catch it too late. Is there something you could recommend in such a situation?
Insurance?

Short of a full FE-36 system (or similar) I don't think there is much a single person can do to save a vehicle from a fire. My fire extinguisher is for the forest, not for my Jeep. I have insurance on the Jeep, but I don't want to be the asshole that burned down the forest. Frankly I seem to have a habit of finding unattended camp fires, which is probably the most likely scenario where I'll be using a fire extinguisher. Never found one some time with a shovel and my drinking water hasn't handled to my liking, but if I needed to use my fire extinguisher I'd be much less pissed off about using a traditional one rather than deploying an expensive element extinguisher.
Sponsored