Sponsored

Finding any price gouging?

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Russ I stop reading after “you and I are astute “ LOL. all joking aside I think we need to talk this over a cold drink on a trail.

Safe trucking Russ.
Sponsored

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
It’s not really price gouging, most of the buyers are not as informed as this group, there hasn’t been a new wrangler in years... I’ll bet this is a very hot seller... consumers can buy wherever they choose and a dealers window to (theoretically) make some extra money on them is short.... so is it the dealers fault if someone buys a marked up vehicle or the consumer... in the Internet age I’d place that squarely on the consumer.
Funny you say that.... when Chrysler released the PT Cruiser way back people were paying up to 5k over MSRP. Demand has always dictated market pricing, as consumers were the ones who drove it up. This will be no different.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Funny you say that.... when Chrysler released the PT Cruiser way back people were paying up to 5k over MSRP. Demand has always dictated market pricing, as consumers were the ones who drove it up. This will be no different.
exactly

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Madness! :facepalm:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
While shown as a cash flow lost, the money is generally reinvested into the company. You would have to take a look at all their assets and intellectual properties to see they are very profitable.
I disagree. Their quarterly reports paint a fairly grim picture. There is a *potential* upside if they ever reach their stated production numbers but that upside (and production) is a can that is repeatedly kicked down the road (the next time they hit promised production numbers will be the first time). Their negative cash flow is significant and continues to pile on the debt in need of servicing. Heck, McNeill *barely* squeaked by on the 100K sales numbers for Q4 so he could qualify for his $700K incentive bonus and did so by employing some sleight of hand on inventory accounting and large last minute discounts to either fleet sales and/or China. Doing so cannibalized production/sales of Q1 into Q4 - good for McNeill but not so good for TSLA. To me Tesla shares are like Bitcoin - it's nice and shiny and sexy right now but there's no "there" there. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I disagree. Their quarterly reports paint a fairly grim picture. There is a *potential* upside if they ever reach their stated production numbers but that upside (and production) is a can that is repeatedly kicked down the road (the next time they hit promised production numbers will be the first time). Their negative cash flow is significant and continues to pile on the debt in need of servicing. Heck, McNeill *barely* squeaked by on the 100K sales numbers for Q4 so he could qualify for his $700K incentive bonus and did so by employing some sleight of hand on inventory accounting and large last minute discounts to either fleet sales and/or China. Doing so cannibalized production/sales of Q1 into Q4 - good for McNeill but not so good for TSLA. To me Tesla shares are like Bitcoin - it's nice and shiny and sexy right now but there's no "there" there. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
There is a lot of there there when it comes to producing great product, sexy technology, and selling a dream... people love to taught it, I’m a huge fan of what they are doing... but it’s undeniable, they aren’t making money... they aren’t close to making money, and while the may have forged a frontier in many ways they cannot continue to go forever on rainbows and unicorns.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Why do you need to keep inventory you order the car exactly you want and it manufactured. Shour you have to wait max two months. Dealers are useless, just extra cost to the purchase of the car.
The vast majority of car sales are from off the lot. Most car buyers do not want to order a vehicle and they sure as heck don't want to wait 2 months; they want a car NOW. They look for a dealer close to them with models that match the features they want and then the biggest thing (after price, of course) is finding one in a desired color. They drive their trade-in there, get a quote, and make the deal. Also, in your "I'll order what I want model" how does a prospective buyer evaluate potential vehicles? Will the manufacturers have some method to allow test drives? Even on this forum with passionate Jeep owners or want-to-be owners many have said they are waiting until they can see/drive the new JL in person - to evaluate the colors first-hand vs a web browser rendering, to feel the differences in the new transmission and engine offerings, etc. How is that done with an Amazon-only model? Where do we get these vehicles serviced? Do we need to drive them back to Toledo/Detroit/Canada/Mexico and drop them off at the plant? Sure, the people here on this forum are much more knowledgeable about the vehicles they wish to purchase and comfortable with less traditional purchase methods (for the most part) but this is very much a minority of the car buying public. Enthusiasts in most markets usually represent the minority - whether it's Jeep or sports car buyers or people that prefer to build their own computers vs "buying a Dell"; they rarely represent the majority of buyers - the ones that generate the bulk of the revenue for manufacturers.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
wow there is a lot of talk about tesla and apple and I still haven't gotten past someone calling cnn fake news. Must let it go.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
i'm out,

To mammy people that work for a dealer are in this place or are drinking there kool aid. You are scared of change and if it was not for the paid off politicians you would be out of a job and people would get the car they want exactly with options they want and for a good price.

You are a Blockbuster and Rradio Shack in an Amazon world!!!

MOKE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 F-150, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Business Development

You are so near sighted and looking strictly at volume car sales numbers. You need to look at the company as a whole, they are much more diversified than "selling cars".

Sponsored

Norrissey

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
Bud Clary in Auburn Wa, just outside Seattle- wants a 5k Premium on the Sahara- umm No thanks

Sahara nope.png

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Bud Clary in Auburn Wa, just outside Seattle- wants a 5k Premium on the Sahara- umm No thanks

Sahara nope.png
Thank god that we have middle man ( dealers ) so we can pay them for driving new cars for free and drink coffee. We have government agencies to prevent scams and fraud practices. So why is government protecting this practic?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thank god that we have middle man ( dealers ) so we can pay them for driving new cars for free and drink coffee. We have government agencies to prevent scams and fraud practices. So why is government protecting this practic?
Car dealerships are not utility companies. If you don't like the dealer's price, find another dealer or don't buy it.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Car dealerships are not utility companies. If you don't like the dealer's price, find another dealer or don't buy it.
Amen! The amount of people here that fail in understanding things as basic as economics and market supply/demand are ever increasing.

On the upside it’s chock full of drama, if that’s your thing.
Sponsored