Sponsored

Fender Vent Mod

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
You can absolutely fit 3 in there. Just start more to the left side towards the door. And when you stick them on just make sure they are tight next to each other. I recommend a test fitting. You will want them more left because that's where the vent grill is open.
Interesting - the question is do I have one light up with the parking light and 2 with the turn signal or vice versa?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tritonman

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Interesting - the question is do I have one light up with the parking light and 2 with the turn signal or vice versa?
If you want maximum visibility with them being used as a turn signal, I recommend using 2 strips.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Thanks, I ordered another set so I'll have 8 full strips to play with, and I'll just have to see what works best when I get them in there. I'll keep you posted! BTW for any non-Amazonians, I was able to find the strips on ebay for $8.50 shipped ;)

OP
OP
Tritonman

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Thanks, I ordered another set so I'll have 8 full strips to play with, and I'll just have to see what works best when I get them in there. I'll keep you posted! BTW for any non-Amazonians, I was able to find the strips on ebay for $8.50 shipped ;)
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Well, I was able to fit 5 strips in there, and probably could fit a 6th. I've had it apart awhile now as I've been riding my bike instead, and I'm having issues with the strips sticking. They stick fine for a few days, and then come undone.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, I might abort. Or, I might try sticking an LED turn/park lamp and socket in there. There really is quite a bit of room and I think that could be zip tied in place.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tritonman

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Well, I was able to fit 5 strips in there, and probably could fit a 6th. I've had it apart awhile now as I've been riding my bike instead, and I'm having issues with the strips sticking. They stick fine for a few days, and then come undone.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, I might abort. Or, I might try sticking an LED turn/park lamp and socket in there. There really is quite a bit of room and I think that could be zip tied in place.
Did you clean the inside really well with some rubbing alcohol? You COULD get some thin 3m double sided and use that to get the strips to adhere.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Did you clean the inside really well with some rubbing alcohol? You COULD get some thin 3m double sided and use that to get the strips to adhere.
Yes, I did - I also bought my strips off ebay, maybe they're cheaper or something. I'm also considering wiring in a turn signal bulb harness, throwing a LED buld in it, and zip tie-ing the whole thing in place. I'll post back here if I do anything more ;)

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Can't wait to see how the "turn signal" mod turns out for @cbrenthus. Do you have factory LEDs already? Wondering if the difference in voltage will cause any issues or weird flickering on the regular fender turn signals. Also, what is plan to splice the wires? @Tritonman, what method did you use? Thanks all. Love this type of mod. HUGE potential result with very little capital outlay!

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I do not have factory LEDs, but I would plan to go with LEDs in the fender vent, mostly so as not to draw too much current from the factory wiring. Though I don't think adding a simple turn signal bulb would overload the wires, so we'll see. As for tapping into the factory wiring, you can gently cut away some of the insulation for the wires to tap, or use wiretapping clips, or remove the harness completely, cut the wires to tap, and use a crimp connector.

Just work with the fender side of the harness so that if you mess anything up, you can get a new one and replace it easily ;)

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Try a few dabs of clear silicone caulk on each strip. The tape should hold until the silicone dries.

Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I thought about doing something very similar before I took delivery, but I changed my mind after I saw how little room there was behind that vent. I also considered adding something to the fender, but I went with a cowl-mounted turn signal instead.

Side-Turn-Signals.gif
I actually really like that. Is that just a 3/4" LED marker light? Any issues with install?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
@cbrenthus You ever get that mod done? Wanted to see if more is better lighting wise. Still looking forward to doing this mod myself and hoping to compare to the original poster @Tritonman

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I actually really like that. Is that just a 3/4" LED marker light? Any issues with install?
Install was easy on the driver side with access to the wires going to the left fender flare, but the passenger side was very difficult to reach down beside the battery. Electrical diagrams are all in the resource section.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
@cbrenthus You ever get that mod done? Wanted to see if more is better lighting wise. Still looking forward to doing this mod myself and hoping to compare to the original poster @Tritonman
No, I gave up - I got really sick of the LEDs coming unstuck, maybe mine were cheap. And I just haven't mustered up the energy yet to dig back into it.

Keycub

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon
I thought about doing something very similar before I took delivery, but I changed my mind after I saw how little room there was behind that vent. I also considered adding something to the fender, but I went with a cowl-mounted turn signal instead.

Side-Turn-Signals.gif

[/QUOTE
Great clean look. Any write up on the install? Where did you tap in? etc.
Sponsored