Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I would assume most manufacturers area always working on new engines. I would also expect it to be a multiyear process. I also wouldn't expect a new engine for the JL until a midlife update.

OP
OP
Warpath

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
There is also the rumor that there will be a new mid size truck running on the Jeep line. I'll assume it's a RAM version of the Scrambler.

Sponsored

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
If it comes to the Jeep line, I hope it's much better than the 4L was. I did not realize how bad that one was until I drove my first 3.6L. I'll take this bent 6 anyday over the 4L.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If it comes to the Jeep line, I hope it's much better than the 4L was. I did not realize how bad that one was until I drove my first 3.6L. I'll take this bent 6 anyday over the 4L.
100 more horsepower does that to an opinion. Consider the 4.0 was developed in the 80s on an architecture that went back to the 60s/70s... It worked pretty well, but yes a newer engine that came out almost a decade after the 4.0 was discontinued should be better than the 4.0.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I had the opposite reaction. I drove a 4L again a couple of years ago after driving a 3.6 and it made me miss the low end torque.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I had the opposite reaction. I drove a 4L again a couple of years ago after driving a 3.6 and it made me miss the low end torque.
I owned 2, 03 TJs with autos that I absolutely hated - one with 3.73s and one with 4.10s. The transmission was just wrong for that engine. I've owned 3 Manual TJs and they were not nearly as bad as the auto......so maybe my issue might be with the transmission rather than the engine.

However, given the choice of either engine in the same vehicle, I would always take the 3.6 over the 4L. It just seems to fit my driving better. And personal driving impressions are usually what sways us. The 4L was a great motor in it's day, but I really like the 3.6.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
disclaimer - I did not read the articles.

How would an inline 6 cylinder be different than a V6? what's the benefit? it's still 6 cylinders amirite? :giggle:

Sponsored

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy

How would an inline 6 cylinder be different than a V6? what's the benefit? it's still 6 cylinders amirite? :giggle:
Inline 6s have all 6 cylinders in a row, while V6s are in a V shape with 3 cylinders in each bank.

Inline engines are USUALLY built with a longer stroke and a smaller bore. They are usually lower rpm torque motors by design. They produce increased amounts of torque at low rpm for increased power down low.

V engines are USUALLY shorter stroke and larger bore and produce power at higher RPM. They are usually higher rpm motors that rely on rpm for power rather than torque.

There are of course exceptions to this but the above decent generalizations about the 2 different designs.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Inline 6s have all 6 cylinders in a row, while V6s are in a V shape with 3 cylinders in each bank.

Inline engines are USUALLY built with a longer stroke and a smaller bore. They are usually lower rpm torque motors by design. They produce increased amounts of torque at low rpm for increased power down low.

V engines are USUALLY shorter stroke and larger bore and produce power at higher RPM. They are usually higher rpm motors that rely on rpm for power rather than torque.

There are of course exceptions to this but the above decent generalizations about the 2 different designs.
I should have made another disclamer: I know nothing about engines. Not too long ago I learned how to change the oil myself though! :rock:

Thanks for the explanation.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I owned 2, 03 TJs with autos that I absolutely hated - one with 3.73s and one with 4.10s. The transmission was just wrong for that engine. I've owned 3 Manual TJs and they were not nearly as bad as the auto......so maybe my issue might be with the transmission rather than the engine.

However, given the choice of either engine in the same vehicle, I would always take the 3.6 over the 4L. It just seems to fit my driving better. And personal driving impressions are usually what sways us. The 4L was a great motor in it's day, but I really like the 3.6.
I do agree with the automatic transmission. Just terrible. But I did like the ax15 with 3.73 gears.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Absolutely perfect description...that's how my dad explained it long ago lol. :)
I had the same question about why his inline 6 cummins diesel engine (5.9L) wasn't a V6...since he used it to tow...your description about "increased amounts of torque at low rpm" makes all the sense in the world.

OP
OP
Warpath

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Heres a video explaining pros and cons.
Sponsored