Sponsored

Falcon 3.3 shocks blown seals

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
So I've sent my shocks in because they were leaking. Teraflex is claiming some over spray on the very bottom of the shock where it doesn't actually compress has caused both front seals to leak.

Am I crazy or does this seem very unlikely if even possible. I run 3" of bumpstop and have since the shocks went in. I've got to get these back because I'm in a time crunch to make a jeep jamboree but I'm def not happy about it. Has anyone else had seals leak due to paint over spray on the very bottom of the shaft?

Fyi the overspray is there from touching up rock rash/rust.

Pic of the part in question
Jeep Wrangler JL Falcon 3.3 shocks blown seals PXL_20230509_225059213
Jeep Wrangler JL Falcon 3.3 shocks blown seals Outlook-Image
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
it can, if you can feel it with your fingernail, and it passes the wiper seal to the main seal that could cause it to not seal around the shaft at that point, most likely its tiny enough that it would seal back up unless somehow it rubbed over it enough times making a dent or mark in the seal causing it to not seal anywhere on the shaft

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
if the shocks not even traveling to that point it could have a tiny knick on the shaft somewhere. or the seals are just crap. id just rub the shaft down with a scotch brite pad to take the paint off it and check it for knicks with your fingernail.

OP
OP
bumpit

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it can, if you can feel it with your fingernail, and it passes the wiper seal to the main seal that could cause it to not seal around the shaft at that point, most likely its tiny enough that it would seal back up unless somehow it rubbed over it enough times making a dent or mark in the seal causing it to not seal anywhere on the shaft
I'm questioning that the shaft could even make contact with 3" of bumpstop. It it just all of a sudden started leaking enough to leave a small pool of oil in about an hour and that overspray has been on there for over a year. I would think overspray would have to be pretty rough to make them leak as much as they were.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
yeah probably just bad/worn out seal, they just didnt want to have to replace it im assuming, easier for them to blame the paint.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bumpit

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if the shocks not even traveling to that point it could have a tiny knick on the shaft somewhere. or the seals are just crap. id just rub the shaft down with a scotch brite pad to take the paint off it and check it for knicks with your fingernail.
I already mailed the shocks back to falcon to be repaired. Can't believe how much it was to ship them back either lol.

I will say tho I think this is prob the biggest drawback of the falcons is that you have to send them all the way back to falcon vs the many shops that work on Fox and king shocks. I didn't really think of that before I bought them of course!

I'm going to be in it for 500$ after shipping them back and paying for the repair just for 2 shocks which just seems nuts to me.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
ouch that hurts, coulda almost bought better shocks from fox or king lol

JerseyJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler rubicon extreme recon
That paint on the shaft is very abrasive to the seal causing early failure. It acts like sandpaper as the seal passes through the stroke.
Sponsored