TordFuglstad

First Name
Tord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2.2D
Hi there Jeep friends,

The jeep community seems awesome, and after having driven a TJ through the Greek countryside for over a week back in April, and having stared at my neighbors JL 4xe every day since, I'm more than ready to become a part of the community.

I live in Norway. The land of insanely expensive gas. So I have been looking at the 2.2L Sahara, 2019.

My question is:
Is there any pit falls I should be aware of?
How reliable is this engine past 100k km (60k miles)?
Is there any recalls on this car that I should ask if have been fixed?

I'm truly appreciative of all answers, and wish you all a great day!

The beauty i drove in Greece about 100 miles every day:
Jeep Wrangler JL Experiences with long range, common issues 1683969878682-01
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I don't think you will find too much information. It was a pretty short lived engine. Only offered for a few years. I think that FCA used the 2.2 diesel on various other cars to good effect though.
Most people who get Jeeps do not do it for reliability though ;) If that's the most important thing, I would just get a hilux. I am considering trading mine in for a Ranger raptor.
Granted, I have owned a lot of Jeeps and never had anything major happen.
The JL has had a lot of little annoying things, but nothing with the engine or drive train.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Had my JL since 2019 and still enjoying the experience. The 2.2 diesel has been a solid performer with no engine/drive train problems to date. From memory there has only been 1 or 2 recalls on this vehicle since new. The trick is the issues that are service bulletins and not recalls. Notably the steering box issue reported in numerous threads. I had mine changed due to excessive wander that the dealer confirmed, hence no cost to me. The steering box was changed from an alloy unit to a steel unit. Refer to the threads on this topic for ways in which you can tell if the steering box has been changed on a 2019.

Matty82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2 TD
I have a 2020 JLU 2.2 in Australia here and I do love the engine but I have had a couple of problems. My turbo failed. The Jeep mechanic said that it was unusual for a turbo to die at 53,000ks. But thanks to Jeep, the warranty was not covered and I had to pay the full amount for it....ouch.

Recently, my intercooler is leaking and I have just ordered a new one for it. Sadly I don't trust Jeep anymore so I bought this myself and will get a good mechanic to put it in for me.

From the experience of others, it seems mine is an anomaly and I hope I can have happy memories with this car for awhile longer yet.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
But thanks to Jeep, the warranty was not covered and I had to pay the full amount for it....ouch.
While I have not had issue with the Turbo, Ive had other niggles. Even things like the rear seat not latching anymore that Jeep won't cover. I only have 20k KM on the clock.
I have owned 13 Jeeps in my life, but this will be my last. I will never buy any FCA product again, regardless of price. Never seen a company that treats their customers as bad as FCA does.

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Over zealous apprentice wound the oil filter on too tight at the last service and cracked the housing. I think it was the same one that has also rounded the 6mm allen head sump plug. Other than that the engine has been reliable but I've only just cracked 55,000km in slightly less than 3 years.

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
Hi mate. I’ve been wheeling mine pretty hard over the years. Only 2 issues have popped up. Oil cooler/filter housing developed a leak and the idler puller and tensioner puller both needed replacing. Both were covered under warranty. I’ve bought a spare set as they are common throw away items for all the Jeep engines.

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
Over zealous apprentice wound the oil filter on too tight at the last service and cracked the housing. I think it was the same one that has also rounded the 6mm allen head sump plug. Other than that the engine has been reliable but I've only just cracked 55,000km in slightly less than 3 years.
Funny. Mine “developed a leak” following a service. Got fixed under warranty but I suspect the same occurred with mine

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
Hi there Jeep friends,

The jeep community seems awesome, and after having driven a TJ through the Greek countryside for over a week back in April, and having stared at my neighbors JL 4xe every day since, I'm more than ready to become a part of the community.

I live in Norway. The land of insanely expensive gas. So I have been looking at the 2.2L Sahara, 2019.

My question is:
Is there any pit falls I should be aware of?
How reliable is this engine past 100k km (60k miles)?
Is there any recalls on this car that I should ask if have been fixed?

I'm truly appreciative of all answers, and wish you all a great day!

The beauty i drove in Greece about 100 miles every day:
Jeep Wrangler JL Experiences with long range, common issues 1683969878682-01
Also….
Here’s my channel if you aren’t subscribed

It’s 2.2

https://youtube.com/@operation4wheelz?si=FUBFYMkqHIV_5RW8

Sponsored

OP
OP
TordFuglstad

TordFuglstad

First Name
Tord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2.2D
So apparently it's time for my 5 years service. The workshop want to run the 4 and 5 year service at the same time, since the car hadn't done it? (I bought this car in November).
Also they say it's time to change timing belt... At 60 000 km.

So the total cost for this "service" will be around 35 000 NOK, or around 3 100 EUR.. Well, there goes my mod-budget for this spring.

Donkeyshot

First Name
guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited night eagle
I have already owned 2 wranglers with the 2.2 diesel engine.
The first one was bought back by the dealership because I had every 2k kms problems with the DEF system. I always got a message on the dashboard saying it will not start after 740 kms. It was around 31 times in the dealership for that problem. I also had regular waterleaks from the windshield and the hose for fueling up malfunctioned 8 times. The last problem it had before I changed was a mayor coolant leak in the line that runs over the engine (on the spot where the line is welded on a mount passenger side).
The second 2.2 I bought had a leak on the oil cooler housing which looks like a transmission leak but it is not and a broken exhaust sensor (around 1,3 k € (rate in Belgium) to fix both of them). Seven days ago I also had to replace the battery (the big one on top) it alsmost rufused to start and the start stop system didn,t work anymore. The only thing I do not understand is that the engine ticks when it is cold, I am still figuring out what it is. The sound goes away when it warms up a bit.
The first one I owned from 2019 to 2021 (al the issues were covered by warranty) and the second one from 2021 and I still have it.

Chris-1968

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2 Diesel
I have a 2020 JLU 2.2 in Australia here and I do love the engine but I have had a couple of problems. My turbo failed. The Jeep mechanic said that it was unusual for a turbo to die at 53,000ks. But thanks to Jeep, the warranty was not covered and I had to pay the full amount for it....ouch.

Recently, my intercooler is leaking and I have just ordered a new one for it. Sadly I don't trust Jeep anymore so I bought this myself and will get a good mechanic to put it in for me.

From the experience of others, it seems mine is an anomaly and I hope I can have happy memories with this car for awhile longer yet.
Hi! I own a 2018 JLU Rubicon, same motor.
Sponsored