Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
While I completely appreciate that the ESS system does not engage shortly after engine crank, say, after the last time the rig's been taken out the day before..

..if for no other reason than engine temps--one of the criteria for it to engage I understand--hasn't yet been reached...

I've found that when I check the diagnostics on the display even after a few minutes of engine run and vehicle movement, that it will say that the ESS system is not yet enabled because the battery is charging--I assume the ESS battery, as the same diagnostics offer me battery voltages (I assume the combined battery voltages or the main battery's voltage) around 14.7V.

Do other people get this our would a visit to service to check for causes perhaps be indicated?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
While I completely appreciate that the ESS system does not engage shortly after engine crank, say, after the last time the rig's been taken out the day before..

..if for no other reason than engine temps--one of the criteria for it to engage I understand--hasn't yet been reached...

I've found that when I check the diagnostics on the display even after a few minutes of engine run and vehicle movement, that it will say that the ESS system is not yet enabled because the battery is charging--I assume the ESS battery, as the same diagnostics offer me battery voltages (I assume the combined battery voltages or the main battery's voltage) around 14.7V.

Do other people get this our would a visit to service to check for causes perhaps be indicated?

Thanks.
Does it say Battery Protection Mode?

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Does it say Battery Protection Mode?
It does not my friend...just that the ESS battery is in the process of charging before it's presumptively reached a voltage threshold suitable for ESS operations.:)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It does not my friend...just that the ESS battery is in the process of charging before it's presumptively reached a voltage threshold suitable for ESS operations.:)
Ah, then if it never gets to the point that the battery is charged enough to operate, a visit to the service department might be in order.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Ah, then if it never gets to the point that the battery is charged enough to operate, a visit to the service department might be in order.
I hear this @Sean L . The thing of it is though that it does get to a point where the ESS kicks in---say after 15 minutes to put a number on it. Which made me want to articulate this reality check to others to see if they had similar stories.:)

I've yet to get the first oil change yet. Yeah, owned since April 18, low mileage, little use for frequent travel combined with alternate vehicles (zero world problems). I will bring it up with the dealer no later than at this event.

And yet I might sight this infrequent rig usage as sources for voltage problems where I not recently trickle charging the rig, only to stop for a few days to see what happens.

Maybe this situation is a result of my dash cam in parking mode, designed to cut out at 12.4 volts as a result of my setting it so: the highest threshold of voltage cutout available for me to choose (I might have gone higher if the choice was available to me.)

And yes, pretty expensive battery packs are available from the dash cam manufacturer to address this drain, assuming it the culprit. But their successful function is predicated on the same "use or charge the rig" situation I face now.

It's just that I've read here of numerous owners getting electronics and/or battery swaps. Clearly, the ESS system in its current method of implementation is not the flagship feature that FCA boasts the JL to have, complete with its Achilles Heel of ESS batteries and designs that if it goes dead, your rig doesn't crank.

It's the stuff jokes are made of. Envision a planning meeting at FCA. "So this ESS battery, if it has juice, is designed to power accessories during an autostop event, but if it doesn't, or runs low, will just either not engage ESS or recrank the rig during an ESS event."

Some VP chimes in: "Well that's no good. People will never spend money to replace it when it goes bad. Here's an idea. Let's make it mission critical to cold crank the vehicle!"

Of course I could go with the aftermarket dual battery system. It's just that I have this thing about paying more for accessories than some vehicles I've owned have cost to purchase.;)

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hear this @Sean L . The thing of it is though that it does get to a point where the ESS kicks in---say after 15 minutes to put a number on it. Which made me want to articulate this reality check to others to see if they had similar stories.:)

I've yet to get the first oil change yet. Yeah, owned since April 18, low mileage, little use for frequent travel combined with alternate vehicles (zero world problems). I will bring it up with the dealer no later than at this event.

And yet I might sight this infrequent rig usage as sources for voltage problems where I not recently trickle charging the rig, only to stop for a few days to see what happens.

Maybe this situation is a result of my dash cam in parking mode, designed to cut out at 12.4 volts as a result of my setting it so: the highest threshold of voltage cutout available for me to choose (I might have gone higher if the choice was available to me.)

And yes, pretty expensive battery packs are available from the dash cam manufacturer to address this drain, assuming it the culprit. But their successful function is predicated on the same "use or charge the rig" situation I face now.

It's just that I've read hear of numerous owners getting electronics and/or battery swaps.

Of course I could go with the aftermarket dual battery system. It's just that I have this thing about paying more for accessories than some vehicles I've owned have cost to purchase.;)
Ah, well the camera might have something to do with it.

I'd say take it on a good long drive down the interstate. Stretch her legs and let the engine get up to full operating temp (Both coolant and oil) and the battery up to full charge. Then later on take it into town and see if the battery issue persists. If so it might be an issue with the battery.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks.

I have gotten that, and it NEVER got to operational status on that 25-30 min drive. It did however kick in on the drive home, so I blew it off for now.

I Do have to say, I am concerned that that little AUX battery has enough oomph for a long life, that I may at some point change out for the dual battery set up from Genesis https://www.genesisoffroad.com/JeepJLDualBattery-p/185-jldbk.htm

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I have gotten that, and it NEVER got to operational status on that 25-30 min drive. It did however kick in on the drive home, so I blew it off for now.

I Do have to say, I am concerned that that little AUX battery has enough oomph for a long life, that I may at some point change out for the dual battery set up from Genesis https://www.genesisoffroad.com/JeepJLDualBattery-p/185-jldbk.htm
Your first paragraph is my story as well after a few months of ownership and prior to trickle charging the rig.

Sarcasm: now why on earth Timm would you be concerned that a small little battery, not big enough to power some larger toys, and whose charge is necessary to cold crank the rig, even if its not used in that cold crank event, be a source of concern? Because the ESS system was designed so well?;)

I hear you on the dual system. If your offroading I'd see it, as I would simply buying a battery earmarked for such power needs. It's though a small fortune (the system, not a dedicated self contained off roading battery) if your simply worried about the ESS battery affecting cold cranks that occur "on road," especially in light of @Jebiruph's workaround (props) here, I think: :)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I got two messages when my system died.

"Battery Charging"

"Battery Protection Mode"

The two messages would alternate at times. It took them several weeks to get my system fixed. I detailed the saga in a thread on this forum somewhere.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Your indicated battery voltage isn’t accurate, it is heavily influenced by alternator activity and causes large fluctuations in voltage that aren’t “real”.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Your indicated battery voltage isn’t accurate, it is heavily influenced by alternator activity and causes large fluctuations in voltage that aren’t “real”.
I hear you. Voltage checks for 12.4V while the rig's at rest for a while, combined with 14/7V readings while the rigs in motion minutes later largely support your message.:)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I hear you. Voltage checks for 12.4V while the rig's at rest for a while, combined with 14/7V readings while the rigs in motion minutes later largely support your message.:)
What I would love to know though, is what voltage sensor is used for the ESS input and where it is, since it’s obviously not the displayed one.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What I would love to know though, is what voltage sensor is used for the ESS input and where it is, since it’s obviously not the displayed one.
Agreed. Upon successful cold (or I guess ESS) crank the batteries are, to my understanding, connected in parallel, and yet some sensor must momentarily isolate them to get solely ESS readings.

When someone publishes the accurate "ESS on the JL Guide for Dummies," I'll be buying it.:)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Even the technical drawings for the wiring in the JL don’t help me out much. They’re much different from what I am used to seeing, too much data transmission and not enough normal electrical activity for me.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Your first paragraph is my story as well after a few months of ownership and prior to trickle charging the rig.

Sarcasm: now why on earth Timm would you be concerned that a small little battery, not big enough to power some larger toys, and whose charge is necessary to cold crank the rig, even if its not used in that cold crank event, be a source of concern? Because the ESS system was designed so well?;)

I hear you on the dual system. If your offroading I'd see it, as I would simply buying a battery earmarked for such power needs. It's though a small fortune (the system, not a dedicated self contained off roading battery) if your simply worried about the ESS battery affecting cold cranks that occur "on road," especially in light of @Jebiruph's workaround (props) here, I think: :)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

it would be nice if someone could come up with a relocation kit for the ESS battery. Most people issue with it seems to be it's location and difficulty in replacement in an stranded situation.
Sponsored