OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Welcome to Jeepin in Colorado. Like you, my wife and I are over 50, have a JL rubicon, and a dog. We also live west of Denver, which is great for jumping on 285 or I-70 to hit a lot of quality trails. The first step for you, IMHO, would be to make applications to multiple Jeep clubs. Go on some easy to moderate trail runs this spring to find a group you enjoy being around. It’s good to have options on dates and trails to run. Since I let my wife drive the first time, it’s now her Jeep. You are in for a fun time. You can contact me if you want Jeep club references. See you on the trail.
Thanks for the advice! I would appreciate any help regarding Jeep clubs. Thanks!
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Been a JEEPER for Decades .. very family friendly .. Spouses, dogs, kids

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

So the wife and i are getting ready to take the plunge on our first Jeep. We are in our 50s and looking to explore our beautiful state (Colorado) and country. We are not looking to get into serious rock crawling, and plan on doing either day or weekend trips within Colorado, or to neighboring states such as Utah, New Mexico, etc.

I have lived long enough to know that there is perception, and then there’s reality. I am trying to marry those two a bit to make sure we go into this with realistic expectations. For starters, we have a small dog (Alvin) and would like to bring him along. This is sort of a big deal. If he has to stay back (bording) it just limits where we can go. So first question, is this weekend adventure dog friendly?

We also don’t know anyone who does this, so we would initially just do short day trips to get our feet wet, then join a jeep or off road club to meet some people and start venturing out more with a group. Is this the best way to do it?

And then there is the whole off road thing. The youtube videos look like fun, but i know anything worth doing will be work. How often should we expect to encounter issues, whether mechanical or otherwise?

On the family front, i see a lot of videos, but not many include women. How female friendly is this adventure?

I am sure i will have a lot more questions, but i wanted to throw out a few and see what you guys think. Thanks for the help!

Rob
You guys reall need to join a local Jeep club and meet like minded people, not everyone is a hardcore rock crawler and sign up for a Jeep Jamboree they cater to all levels of jeepers, See you on the trail, by the way what Jeep are you going to purchase