thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
First Engine lasted about 40K miles before ticking was loud enough for the dealer to inspect. Dealer was great in getting the whole engine replaced as there was metal everywhere in the engine. It did take almost a month for replacement but did get it back in time to make our ski trip.. it was the last week Colorado ski resorts were still open to public. Engine ran great had O2 sensor issue but was able to reset and was good to go.

I now have 3500 miles on the NEW Engine and 2k was from ski trip. It has started ticking and getting louder! I know the previous generation of 3.6 had valve train issues what are the chances of two engines having bad cam/lifter issues.

Dealer said a Chrysler employee would have to inspect it again, but warned me having the aftermarket bumper/Winch and Rockslide engineering sliders they could void warranty. @JeepCares is this possible to void my warranty with aftermarket bumper and sliders???

Has anyone had a problem with warranty work voided with bumper slider or tire upgrade?
Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
First Engine lasted about 40K miles before ticking was loud enough for the dealer to inspect. Dealer was great in getting the whole engine replaced as there was metal everywhere in the engine. It did take almost a month for replacement but did get it back in time to make our ski trip.. it was the last week Colorado ski resorts were still open to public. Engine ran great had O2 sensor issue but was able to reset and was good to go.

I now have 3500 miles on the NEW Engine and 2k was from ski trip. It has started ticking and getting louder! I know the previous generation of 3.6 had valve train issues what are the chances of two engines having bad cam/lifter issues.

Dealer said a Chrysler employee would have to inspect it again, but warned me having the aftermarket bumper/Winch and Rockslide engineering sliders they could void warranty. @JeepCares is this possible to void my warranty with aftermarket bumper and sliders???

Has anyone had a problem with warranty work voided with bumper slider or tire upgrade?[/QUO
depends on their atttitude, call JEEP CARES , they monitor this site,get them involved, as far as "ticking", you obviously read all my threads, I hope, my 19 Wrangler sport was throwing a code P2019 i think, anyway exhaust camshaft on 1,3,6 cylinders was bad and they put on new camshaft , rocker arms, and lifters....NO PROBLEMS AT ALL SINCE, QUIET AS A MOUSE FART, JEEP KNOWS ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS AND SO DOES JEEP CARES...GO TO A DIFFERENT DEALER IF YOU GET THE LOOK< BUT BEAR IN MIND AS A LAY PERSON I WOULD THINK THE UPGRADES MAY HURT YOUR CAUSE,(FOR NO GOOD REASON AND MAY VOID ITEMS RELATED, TO THE MODS.)BUT WHAT DO I KNOW.......

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

Has anyone had a problem with warranty work voided with bumper slider or tire upgrade?
Thatā€™d be quite the performance of mental gymnastics to relate a bumper/winch and sliders to engine deficiencies lol. Dealership sounds like theyā€™re trying to scare you out of taking it in. They have your history with that vehicle though, Iā€™d press them for fixing it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @thecritter,

Thank you for tagging us. To clarify your warranty question, the following excerpt is from your warranty manual:
upload_2020-4-14_9-32-15.png

If you are visiting your dealer for a ticking concern, we would like to provide additional support while in service. Please send us a private message once you have an appointment set.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any dealership stating your mods may void the warranty is basically telling you to go away. Keep searching for dealerships until you find one that actually wants to help. Loud ticking is not normal in anyway.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Does nothing for the ticking noise, before I got mine fixed I tried 5W30

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Possibly though most of us who have had the ticking having it straight off the assembly line. It isn't something that just develops overtime.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
The chances of you having two bad engine are astronomical or unless it was not a replacement and a take down then fix. Or FCA quality has gone down to zero the highest reliable thing they have is that 3.6 pentastar I am guessing that's the one you replaced. As for the ticking noise how bad is it? I bought two new cars after the jl and they both had it both were smaller engines 2.5 L and below. What kind of engine do you have?

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Thatā€™d be quite the performance of mental gymnastics to relate a bumper/winch and sliders to engine deficiencies lol. Dealership sounds like theyā€™re trying to scare you out of taking it in. They have your history with that vehicle though, Iā€™d press them for fixing it.
agreed , big stretch to associate the two....

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Can you upload a video of the ticking for us? Top end will tick, if the sound is coming from the bottom end then you have a problem... Top end ticking is normal.

If you read my Thread you can watch videos of my tick, all bottom end noise.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Iā€™ve had 2 prior Jeeps with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. Both had rocker arms ticking which needed to be replaced...

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve had 2 prior Jeeps with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. Both had rocker arms ticking which needed to be replaced...
well this is the oil pan...again only 3,500 miles

they are going to fix the Jeep THIRD engine but as much as I hate it we are in contact with lawyers exploring lemon law. Over 72 days and counting in shop regarding engine ticking or O2 sensor issues.

I know there is not many problems with the 2nd gen 3.6 but dang I have had a run at it.

Looking at a diesel so let the fun begin on what all can go bad there.

20200423_154440.jpg

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Holy S8751234T man AND you're going back to Jeep for more..... you Sadomasochistic freak!!!

Seriously though, good luck man and I feel a good portion of your pain.... I really do :/
Sponsored