Engine Block Heater

nolan14

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
I have a 2018 2.0 Sport unlimited. Now that winter is upon us i would like to add one to my Jeep to plug it in overnight. I have been searching to see if there is a kit available and have had little luck. Just wanted to know if anyone out there has done it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a thread on it from last winter:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/engine-block-heater-how-to.16595/

I posted a link in there for a Jeep V6 heater, but it might not be the same for the 2.0. Your best bet would probably be a dealer. Might have to order it, but they should have the correct part number. Additionally, it a surprisingly invasive install. You have to tear a lot of things off the top of the motor to even get to the port. The 2.0 might be better, but it’s pretty tough on the 6. I’ve done it twice now, and I’d rather not have to do it ever again.

You can just run the cord out of the hood when needed, or you can route to the front below the bumper like I did. I’m in AK, so I use it throughout the winter, plus I wanted a nicer install. I’ll post a picture in a few.

OP
OP
nolan14

nolan14

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Cool thank you very much for your reply. I will definitely check it out. I want to make cold starts easier, but with it being so much of a hassle like your are saying, I guess I should’ve thought more about it when I bought it!! lol.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a couple of shots of how I did mine. I also have oil pan and trans heaters. They connect to the 3-way behind the bumper, then the plug comes out through the bumper. On the stock bumper, I routed the cord up and tucked it behind some plastic trim piece.

The job is tricky, but if you have decent mechanical know-how, you can get it done. You don’t need any special tools, just patience and fortitude. I just don’t want you to jump into it blindly since the idea is pretty simple—put the heater in a hole in the block and one bolt. You can probably find the hole with a flashlight and some research. Then you can decide if it’s for you or not. It’s not crazy, but there’s a lot of blind spots that can be tough to get a hand in. Good luck with whatever you decide!

EE661442-012C-44AE-A9DF-B4978801972A.jpeg

0398D8CA-7ABD-4133-A622-49790A7BD2E8.jpeg

OP
OP
nolan14

nolan14

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Appreciate the pictures! Definitely something I want done by the shop. Going to start with my dealer and go from there. Thanks again.
I hate cold starts with a passion so would just be nice to have a little something to not make it as bad.

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Definitely something I want done by the shop. Going to start with my dealer and go from there. Thanks again.
I hate cold starts with a passion so would just be nice to have a little something to not make it as bad.
Check your build sheet as you may already have a block heater - especially if you have the cold weather group. For example, all Canadian builds include the block heater.

Last edited:

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Do you mind if I ask why? I see you live in Indiana. These things really aren't needed for midwestern temperatures. These things really only add value when the overnight temp's drop below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. In Alaska or northern Canada, that may happen 100 days per year - so this feature makes a lot of sense. But here in the Midwest, you're talking maybe 10 nights per year.

Simply going out and starting the Jeep 10 minutes before you leave will allow the oil to soften up on those days. Or if you really have money burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on a remote starter instead. That way both the engine gets warmed up AND the interior gets toasty before you leave on those cold mornings.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Do you mind if I ask why? <snip>
Simply going out and starting the Jeep 10 minutes before you leave will allow the oil to soften up on those days. Or if you really have money burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on a remote starter instead. That way both the engine gets warmed up AND the interior gets toasty before you leave on those cold mornings.
A cold start puts the most wear and tear on your engine. The oil is cold and more viscous and has drained off the moving parts. Using a timer on your block heater and a thermostatically controlled electrical tap to only come on when below 35 °F a few hours before starting will ensure better lubrication with warmer oil.
Sponsored