Electrical gremlin.

Nickyb1302

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
To start this off my experience with my JLUR for the last 101k miles has been excellent. I’ve gone through the many little bugs with the steering and suspension but solved those pretty quickly and fairly easy but I’m now at a loss with this one. I have a 2018 JLUR 3.6 with 101k miles the last two weeks I’ve been dealing with my Uconnect radio 8.4 constantly crashing and rebooting like clockwork every minute or so. I attributed it to the aux battery because I know that stupid thing can cause some electrical problems when it decides to die so I deleted it finally.

A week later and my main battery dies (yellow top optima H6) noticed quite a bit of corrosion on the negative terminal so I cleaned it all off with baking soda water solution and a steel tooth brush and replaced the main battery with another H6 yellow top. Replaced the radio fuse and checked all the grounds I could find and pushed in all fuses to make sure none were loose. Few days have gone by since battery was replaced and I’m noticing immediate corrosion again on the negative terminal and I’ve been watching the battery voltage while driving. It slowly creeps down from 14.2 to 13.9/13.8 when the drive is over and these are long drives. Also noticed it feels as if it struggles when braking toward the end to hold the car in place and voltage drops. By struggle I mean feels like a rough idle and then when RPMs go back up its smooths out but the voltage doesn’t go back up immediately. Battery still reads 12.6v with car off and with It running the alternator is still pushing out 14.1v which I think should be ok correct me if I’m wrong please. However I feel like it is dying and this is the cause of some of the issues and the corrosion on the negative terminal due to undercharging. When I first bought this thing (I’m original owner from factory) I always saw 14.7-14.9 for voltage whenever it was running so I ordered a new alternator and I hope this solves the battery issue.

As for the radio constantly rebooting I’m chalking that up to software which I tried to update myself but I can’t get the stupid computer to accept the flash drive no matter what I do. I’ve gone through 3 flash drives and several different methods to update the software all according to Uconnects instructions and I still get the “this software is incompatible with this vehicle” so to the dealer it goes tomorrow morning unfortunately which I’ve been trying to avoid because I literally JUST had my warrant end and of course all this starts happening.
Anyone out there experience something similar to me? Is there something I’m missing with the battery? The grounds etc….. I love this car it just pisses me off that literally as soon as the warranty is over this shit starts happening.
One last thing. Has anyone experienced a noise coming from the passenger side by the grab handle that sounds like someone’s rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together constantly or small popping noise? The tweeter is fine even though I’m about to replace that but it is driving me nuts now that my radio hasn’t been working and I can’t figure out where that’s coming from.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have your alternator checked? I noticed you purchased one, I think this may be a solution to your problem.

Contrary to what some recommend on here, about deleting the aux battery, I was told that the aux battery is very important. That it is responsible for not only the auto start/stop but for many other technologies in the Jeep. Some people can delete the aux battery and have no other issues with their Jeeps. I've heard that it can have an adverse effect and that eventually, other things will go haywire.

If you deleted your aux battery and the main battery has to supply power to everything in the jeep, the corrosion on the posts could be because the alternator is overcharging the only battery you have left.

I'd check to see if the alternator is faulty. That could be the issue for the corrosive posts. Corrosive terminals will cause electrical probs...

I'm not sure about the other issues you've mentioned. I'm sure some gearhead will respond and give you some sound advice!

OP
OP

Nickyb1302

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I should’ve also mentioned the corrosion was happening with aux battery installed. Far more severe too it was like a solid brick of the whiteish blue substance.

OP
OP

Nickyb1302

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Update from the dealer today: radio internal failure overheating and causing a constant draw on the battery. Pulled the fuse and seems to be the culprit. Unfortunately need a new radio now to the tune of 1,000$. Literally weeks after my warranty coverage ended. @JeepCares

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Update from the dealer today: radio internal failure overheating and causing a constant draw on the battery. Pulled the fuse and seems to be the culprit. Unfortunately need a new radio now to the tune of 1,000$. Literally weeks after my warranty coverage ended. @JeepCares
wow…that’s the first I’ve heard of the radio failing and causing a drain on the batt! I thought for sure it was the alternator.

Aww man…tbh, if they are making you pay out of pocket for a stock radio, are there more inexpensive radio options you could install that you could be happy with? I know for me, I use mine to connect to my phone to listen to my music. I use it for no other reason. I know there are some local shops that have nice inexpensive radio/connectivity options for vehicles.

And it still might be a good idea to change that alt since you bought it. That would definitely be something I would do.

keep us posted.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
also…did you happen to purchase an extended warranty for the jeep? If so, hopefully the radio components are covered.

OP
OP

Nickyb1302

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My extended warranty just expired and that’s why I @JeepCares. The radio killed both the aux and main battery. Bought two new ones still drained the new aux battery. And I’m just gonna go with the UConnect radio again so I keep all my stock functions for steering controls and such. It’s also 1500$ cheaper than the alpine radio and stinger off roads radio lots of bad reviews. Atleast with the Uconnect it’ll keep a warranty for 2 years. I’ll definitely change the alternator I already bought it and it’s got 100k on the current one so may as well as preventative maintenance. Just annoying all these electrical issues are caused by a faulty radio. Or so I hope.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My extended warranty just expired and that’s why I @JeepCares. The radio killed both the aux and main battery. Bought two new ones still drained the new aux battery. And I’m just gonna go with the UConnect radio again so I keep all my stock functions for steering controls and such. It’s also 1500$ cheaper than the alpine radio and stinger off roads radio lots of bad reviews. Atleast with the Uconnect it’ll keep a warranty for 2 years. I’ll definitely change the alternator I already bought it and it’s got 100k on the current one so may as well as preventative maintenance. Just annoying all these electrical issues are caused by a faulty radio. Or so I hope.
I hope they take care of you.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
wow…that’s the first I’ve heard of the radio failing and causing a drain on the batt! I thought for sure it was the alternator.

Aww man…tbh, if they are making you pay out of pocket for a stock radio, are there more inexpensive radio options you could install that you could be happy with? I know for me, I use mine to connect to my phone to listen to my music. I use it for no other reason. I know there are some local shops that have nice inexpensive radio/connectivity options for vehicles.

And it still might be a good idea to change that alt since you bought it. That would definitely be something I would do.

keep us posted.
Thanks for the tag, Nickyb1302,

We received and replied to your PM and will be in touch with you from there!

Steph
Jeep Cares
Sponsored