Sponsored

E vs D vs C

GreenMonitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Just looking for some opinions here.

The only mild 35s in C seems to be the 315/70/17 BFG KO2.

The only mild 35s in D seem to be Mickey ATZ P3, Toyo AT3, and a few other selections

Then there are an absolute ton of options in E!

I have read through previous threads on this issue, and seen people say that they like the stiffer sidewalls of D and E tires for off road durability. That makes perfect sense, agreed.

When it comes to on road, however, is there any reason to run anything other than the sole C A/T tire? Just how much bumpier is the ride in a D compared to C anyway? And for that matter, how about E?
Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Hohum, here I thought I had stumbled across some secret after-hours thread on here. Nope, just another one on tiresā€¦. Booooorinngg. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

this might help you out:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/e-vs-c-rated-tires.7796/

FWIW, I run 315/70/17 Toyo Open Country R/T C load rated and they ride fine to me. Full disclosure: my only comparison is to the stock K02s on the Rubi.

I think part of the issue is oneā€™s opinion of how tires ride can be so subjective. What might feel harsh to one person might be fine for another. Or maybe someoneā€™s only experience has been E rated and they donā€™t really know what aspect of ride quality they are missing with a C tire. Itā€™s best to find someone on here that has put a lot of miles on their rig and has experience with both C, D and E.

Lastly, not to over complicate but there can be other factors at play too like switching from an A/T to a M/T or moving from an easy to balance tire to a more difficult one. Hopefully more people with real world experience chime in here.

OP
OP

GreenMonitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Hohum, here I thought I had stumbled across some secret after-hours thread on here. Nope, just another one on tiresā€¦. Booooorinngg. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Good to see that the Toyos come in 315/C - I missed it because Discount doesn't have them in stock and they didn't show in my search results.

Still, it's so confusing to me. The Toyo RT 35s have C, but the more 'on road oriented' AT3 doesn't have a 35 in C. Like... what?

And with the AT3, the 35x12.5xE weighs less than the 315/70xD! Nothing makes any sense haha.

Thank you for pointing me to the other thread, but as you say it seems not a ton of people have run multiple ratings - and those that have seem split between 'E is fine' and 'E is super harsh, never again!'

I am a bit annoyed by the lack of 35x12.5x17/315x70x17 tires in C. Thank you for pointing out the Toyo RTs, I just may go with them.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This may be a minority opinion, but I would not put too much emphasis on load range rating from C to E. In the end overall tire weight and the tire pressure that you set them to are much bigger contributors to the ride, than the tire weight rating.

For example, on the same Jeep (2016 JKUR) I've run M/T tires in C, D and E rating and the absolute best ride was from the Dick Cepec Extreme Country which had an E-rating. It is one of the lightest M/T tires.

Whatever tire you get, just adjust tire pressure to give you a good balance of ride comfort and handling. Typically the bigger the tire, the lower the pressure you need to set it up. Rule of thumb drop an additional PSI if you go C to D and one more D to E for the same size tires and you will not feel a difference.
Sponsored