Sponsored

DV8 Step Install - Bad weld angle??? Please weigh in...

JLRubiMD

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Bought a set of DV8 SRJL-2 steps, love the look but am questioning the weld angle of the bracket that bolts to the pinch seam. Picture attached if the helps.

As best as I can explain it, the bracket with 2 bolts that goes through the pinch seam is not in line with with pinch seam. I can shim the other bolts that go into the welded bolt under the Jeep to get the pinch seam to line up but (A) I have never had to do that on other side steps and (B) I would need longer bolts (easier to break) because I would need to shim about an inch.

I called DV8, they are aware of this as other customers have called with this issue. I was told the angle is intentional and adds strength... I was told to mount the pinch seam first, then the body bolts to pull everything tight, but I can tell that's going to bend my pinch seem to meet the angle of the side step bracket. From my experience, bent metal = cracking paint later on. I was reassured the paint wouldn't later crack, not the case from prior experience.

Before returning these steps, wanted to see if the community thought I was nuts (wouldn't be the first time...)

Thanks guys and gals

IMG_5434.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

damyers8

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just went through this with the DV8 SR-6 sliders that I installed on my JLUR. Only the front ones were like this on mine. It made it difficult to get everything to line up, and I could only get a nut on the front studs. I just tightened them up as much as I could then tightened up the body bolts. The front brackets still have a slight angle to them, but can really only notice that if looking closely. They still seem solid, but like you, I was not too happy about the quality of the DV8 sliders. I may eventually change mine, but for now they work for a decent step for the wife.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It's difficult to tell with the hammered paint but that weld on the tube (left of pic) looks cold

Otherwise no help, sorry

OP
OP
JLRubiMD

JLRubiMD

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just went through this with the DV8 SR-6 sliders that I installed on my JLUR. Only the front ones were like this on mine. It made it difficult to get everything to line up, and I could only get a nut on the front studs. I just tightened them up as much as I could then tightened up the body bolts. The front brackets still have a slight angle to them, but can really only notice that if looking closely. They still seem solid, but like you, I was not too happy about the quality of the DV8 sliders. I may eventually change mine, but for now they work for a decent step for the wife.
I have the same issue with the front most bolt not sticking through far enough to get a washer and lock washer on, I can barely get the nut on by itself. I can tell one other minor issue will be getting the body bolts in, the middle and rear holes are off by about 1/16th an inch. I've had to oval out holes on many other builds so that's not as big of a deal honestly. The need to bend the pinch seam bothers me more. I ended up with body rust on a JK with a slight bend in the pinch seam that eventually had paint cracking right at the bend. Just seams unnecessary and opens up a potential can of worms.

DV8 is stating the design is intentional, that the bend somehow adds strength. and that it won't eventually crack/damage the paint (I'm quoting DV8 after speaking with them today), then that should be in the product description (currently says "no modifications needed") so buyers can decide if this is the part is right for them. These are really sharp looking steps and feel solid so I'm torn. I can probably get these bent the way I feel they properly should be so the pinch seam doesn't need to be bent, but risk damaging them. If the welds are weak (I agree that looks like a possible cold weld, can't tell with the finish), prying on the weld may not be the best.

Thanks for the replies, if anyone's curious, I'll post an update when one is available

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLRubiMD

JLRubiMD

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Quick update. NR4x4 was once again absolutely great to work with. They worked with DV8 to arrange a return, different sliders on order. As a shameless plug, I can't recommend Northridge 4x4 enough. Not to say there's not a lot of great shops out there, but I've been ordering from them for a few years now and have had nothing but great experiences. Usually their prices are tough to beat, and they do match so you can't go wrong. Customer service is top notch, and you can easily talk to the same person when handling an issue so it goes smoothly.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Quick update. NR4x4 was once again absolutely great to work with. They worked with DV8 to arrange a return, different sliders on order. As a shameless plug, I can't recommend Northridge 4x4 enough. Not to say there's not a lot of great shops out there, but I've been ordering from them for a few years now and have had nothing but great experiences. Usually their prices are tough to beat, and they do match so you can't go wrong. Customer service is top notch, and you can easily talk to the same person when handling an issue so it goes smoothly.
Nice! I appreciate reports like this -- increasingly customer service is a lost art and yet it's not difficult to achieve. Companies are just lazy and employees are poorly trained.
Sponsored